Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Quitting smoking, who is with me?
Sancho Fuente 03:33 PM 11-29-2010
Of course this is a thread about quitting cigarettes.

I'm only 23, a pack a day smoker and in good health. This isn't something I'm doing because I'm breathing from a tube, and it's not something that I am being forced to do either. It's to the point where I still enjoy smoking cigarettes, but at the same time every one I light up I look at and wonder why I still do it. I set myself a quit date of Dec. 1 and am actually feeling like I will be going through it 100% this time.

I am not making this post for people to say good job, or congratulations, or whatever. I am looking for people who are feeling the same way and want to quit, who are willing to commit, and who are willing to see this through having some other people to talk to for support. I figure if everyone makes it to the end of Dec without cigarettes we do a GB on a good box of smokes or something with the money we will end up saving. (Not the important part but a way for all of us to celebrate)

Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing something like this, let me know. We can either end up making an official thread about it or BS about our lack of nicotine through PMs or whatever.

Now back to the original question, who is with me?
[Reply]
E.J. 03:43 PM 11-29-2010
Quit a few years ago....

The group buy with money saved is a great idea though!
[Reply]
PLUSH 04:06 PM 11-29-2010
Good luck, never got into that.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 04:10 PM 11-29-2010
Good Luck brother!!
[Reply]
EricF 04:18 PM 11-29-2010
Tom, I quit smoking 10 months ago after smoking cigs for 33 years. I applaud you for doing it now instead of later!

The key to your success is having the right mindset to do it and a good support team behind you. This will be the hardest thing you have ever done.

I hope you succeed. Pm me if you have any questions or just want to let off steam due to quitting. I will follow you in this thread and wish you success in quitting!
[Reply]
The Poet 04:23 PM 11-29-2010
Quitting cigarettes is easy . . . I've done it lots of times.

Seriously, I quit cold-turkey over ten years ago, and it was not all that hard to do. If you are ready to do it, it can be a breeze. If you are not, you won't. And since you don't want people to wish you good luck, I won't either. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 04:24 PM 11-29-2010
I quit cigarettes a few months back. It wasn't hard at all, granted I still light up a few from time to time. I was 23 and smoked roughly a pack a day as well. It's not hard, given good days where people don't piss me off I don't miss them. But there are those days........
[Reply]
Kreth 04:25 PM 11-29-2010
I quit last New Year's. It can be done. Good luck! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Blueface 04:25 PM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Seriously, I quit cold-turkey over ten years ago.
I quit smoking cold turkey myself back in 1988.

Now, I smoke ham.:-)
[Reply]
alwayslit 04:44 PM 11-29-2010
Wish you well and stay strong. Went cold turkey in 2000 and haven't looked back.
[Reply]
68TriShield 04:51 PM 11-29-2010
Tom there were a couple threads that have run their course.
I'm guessing they did okay quitting.Chances are you'll find another group to go the distance with.
The wife and I quit cold a couple years ago.Like was already said,if your mind is set you'll be fine.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 05:38 PM 11-29-2010
Quit cold turkey about 4 or 5 years back. It took me a few attempts but I just kept trying every day and did it. You can do it too.
[Reply]
Eleven 06:26 PM 11-29-2010
In 1997 my wife (then girlfriend) was riding me hard about smoking, even refusing to talk about living together while I still smoked.

On Easter night while taking my son back to his mothers house I realized I left half a pack of camel filters at my aunts house. My wife said "no better time than right now to quit then!"

And I did. Haven't touched a cigarette since that day.

I know you didn't want an "attaboy" thread but you deserve it and I sure hope others join you on your trip!
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 06:40 PM 11-29-2010
Never picked up the habit, but I can only imagine how tough it will be to resist. Best of luck to you, Tom.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:44 PM 11-29-2010
Good luck to you.
I gave 'em up 18 years ago.

Originally Posted by Bill86:
I quit cigarettes a few months back. It wasn't hard at all, granted I still light up a few from time to time.
Sorry, Bill. You haven't quit. . . . yet.
[Reply]
markem 06:47 PM 11-29-2010
I've tried them off and on over 35 years and haven't gotten the bug. My parents were multi-packs a day smokers and never had a problem with cancer or lung issues (Mom is 75+). I wish anyone quitting the very best and send all the karma I have. They are manipulated to be addictive, which isn't fair. Cigars aren't, which I think is fair.
[Reply]
maninblack 06:54 PM 11-29-2010
I never have liked the smell or taste of cigarette tobacco. Guess thats because I grew up with a family of smokers and hated the way it made my clothes and everything else smell. I wish you the best of luck brother!!
[Reply]
docdoty 07:03 PM 11-29-2010
I quit almost a year ago after smoking for 12years. YOU CAN DO IT.
[Reply]
Bill86 07:03 PM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Good luck to you.
I gave 'em up 18 years ago.

Sorry, Bill. You haven't quit. . . . yet.

You're probably right, I mean I gave up a pack a day for ....5 cigarettes a month TOPS if that. To me that is quitting. On a another note, I've found nothing great in quitting and will probably go back shortly. I was a bar a few weeks ago ....and I got to missing them very much. But everything to me is very addictive and I care nothing about health issues with anything. I seem to come back to everything. I tried to quick drinking about 4 times. Now hell, I don't lie to myself and everyone around me.
[Reply]
Eleven 07:31 PM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
But everything to me is very addictive and I care nothing about health issues with anything. I seem to come back to everything. I tried to quick drinking about 4 times. Now hell, I don't lie to myself and everyone around me.
Same here. I like to call it my "Highly Addictive Personality" Cigarettes, virtually every drug known to man, online video games, cigars, alcohol...etc etc etc.

I am curbing my cigar purchases, and keeping an eye on my drinking, everything else has been left in the past. There are some things you just gotta stop doing if you wanna be around for any length of time.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up