Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>New to forum
NYCpuffer 08:58 PM 11-06-2010
Hello all, my name is charlie and i have just really got into cigars in the last 2 months or so. I have smoked cigars every once in a while for the last 4 years. Mostly just Acid cigars with my old boss but i just got married and decided to get all my groomsmen humidors and cigars. So that made me get into cigars much more. I bought a 50 cigar glass top humidor kit with the cheap round humidifier and the analog hygromider. I just updgraded to a digital hygrometer and just ordered a better humidifier.

My current stock includes a bunch of pretty cheap bundles that i bought to fill all the groomsmens humidors...I just got back from my honeymoon in europe so i brought back some Montecristo Cubans. I paid $55 for 5 No. 3 Montes. Is that a decent price?

I have smoked cohiba cubans while in Dominican Republic and while i was in europe.

Looking to buy a few single cigars in the $15-$30 range. Any suggestions?

Thanks and i will be looking through a lot of your posts tonight and look forward to being a member of this forum.

Charlie
[Reply]
icehog3 09:03 PM 11-06-2010
Welcome to the Asylum, Charlie. :-)

$15 is a lot for singles until you get an idea of exactly what you like, I would suggest buying samplers at your local cigar shop or maybe even from one of the cigar websites. Lots of great $5 cigars out there!
[Reply]
Bill86 09:10 PM 11-06-2010
Also you mention Cubans a lot, are we talking NC or CC at $15-$30 a stick?

I agree with Tom my favorite cigar costs $9.99 a stick even at a B&M. How much you spend doesn't always mean you get that much. Sometimes more and sometimes less.

But if you want pricey cigars.....NC
Opus X (anything in this line is $12 up)
God of Fire (I've never seen them under $17-20 a stick)
Casa Fuente (yet to try these but again...$25+)
Higher end Padrons..... (80th anniversary)
Higher end Tatuaje (Black tubos, Limiteds)
Davidoff

If you want a good example...Ask Tom about Gurkha, you'll pay $30-$35 for something that tastes like dirt. Cost doesn't dictate quality.

Oh and ...Welcome! You're 50 cigar humidor is going to be a 300-400 in no time, probably a few shiny coolers in your future too.
[Reply]
NYCpuffer 09:14 PM 11-06-2010
thanks guys, not sure what NC an CC means. I have only smoked habana cubanos cohibas and monte cristos while over seas. But like i said i did sneak back a few cubans from spain the other day.

I was thinking of buying only like 2 or 3 $15-$20 cigars for my collection then would like to purchase like 20 $5-$10 cigars as well.

Thanks for the replies.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:18 PM 11-06-2010
Non Cuban and Cuban Cigar

I would find a good local B&M and just buy singles from top brands. See what you like then order boxes of them online or 5'ers.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:18 PM 11-06-2010
Bill has some excellent suggestions for those higher end sticks. :-)
[Reply]
sobranie10 09:20 PM 11-06-2010
$15 is a lot for singles until you get an idea of exactly what you like, I would suggest buying samplers at your local cigar shop or maybe even from one of the cigar websites. Lots of great $5 cigars out there![/quote]

Do a lot of looking and reading, lot of good people here lots to learn Welcome to Asylum. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 09:22 PM 11-06-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Bill has some excellent suggestions for those higher end sticks. :-)
No surprise 3.5 months here.....It'll do that to you :-) That and I've got all you crazy bastids recommending me sticks.
[Reply]
NYCpuffer 09:27 PM 11-06-2010
ok thanks guys..yeah i was talking about CC.

I have a pretty good cigar store near me but i have noticed they are way over priced compaired to online stores. Living in NY might have something to do with that as well.

Is there much of a difference in taste with the Dominican cohibas/montes/romeos compared with the cubans?

I am going to take all of your advise and buy a middle of the line sampler package..

I know i love a lot of the Acid cigars but they are so overpriced at all the cigar stores around NYC.

thanks again.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:29 PM 11-06-2010
Originally Posted by NYCpuffer:
Is there much of a difference in taste with the Dominican cohibas/montes/romeos compared with the cubans?
They are completely different cigars with absolutely nothing in common besides the name, Charlie.
[Reply]
NYCpuffer 09:30 PM 11-06-2010
ok thanks icehog..so the 5 CC montecristos I have will be much different from the DR montecristos?
[Reply]
Bill86 09:34 PM 11-06-2010
Most definitely. You probably wouldn't even know they were the same company. As Tom said....COMPLETELY different.
[Reply]
NYCpuffer 09:35 PM 11-06-2010
Ok thanks..So will my CC monte necessarily be better than a DR monte? Or is it just a different taste? Just want to know if it is worth it spending the money on the Cubans.

Thanks
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:37 PM 11-06-2010
Welcome to the Asylum Charlie! Pull up a chair and have a cigar :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 09:38 PM 11-06-2010
Ok thanks..So will my CC monte necessarily be better than a DR monte? Or is it just a different taste? Just want to know if it is worth it spending the money on the Cubans.

Thanks
They aren't better, just different. You would have to decide which you like better cubans or non cubans. For me it's a bit of both.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:38 PM 11-06-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Most definitely. You probably wouldn't even know they were the same company. As Tom said....COMPLETELY different.
They actually aren't even the same company. Just Cuban names for companies in other parts of the World.

Thanks
You will have to judge for yourself, taste is subjective.

I like lots of Non-Cuban cigars, but Non-Cuban Montes, Romeos and Cohibas are not among them. :-)
[Reply]
DaBear 09:41 PM 11-06-2010
^The only thing that'll be similar is the name on the band; different tobacco(ie where its grown, where seeds are from, and types), different blends, different rollers. Basically the whole Cuban embargo means we also don't recognize Cuban copyrights, etc. and so the Cuban companies can stake no claim on the names in the US.

As for recommendations, Brickhouses are nice(~$6 for a churchill), anything Padron or Fuente is good IMO, most Olivas are good, and I'm a fan of Perdomo's in general. Again, just try a bunch of different things at first until you begin to find you're niche as far as flavor profiles.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:41 PM 11-06-2010
Yeah I meant same name, not company it was a poor choice of words. I like Cohiba NC, Monte NC and Romeo NC, same with CC just haven't tried CC Cohibas yet. Someday.
[Reply]
NYCpuffer 09:45 PM 11-06-2010
awesome, thanks a lot everyone..just learned more about cigars in the last 20 mins then in my whole life...also prob saved myself a shitload of money.

So i guess now is just some cigar buying site recomendations if thats allowed.

Thanks again.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:46 PM 11-06-2010
Not for Cubans, that's not allowed here. As far as Non cubans, cigarsatyourprice and cigarsinternational.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up