Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>LasciviousXXX Blind Review Thread
MajorCaptSilly 03:26 PM 10-24-2010
I won Tyr's 2nd Anniversary contest and received 5 blind beauties for review. This is my first one:

I picked # 4 for the review:

This was about a 44 x 5.5" triple capped cigar. Had a nice light wrapper that was silky smooth. It was lightly box pressed.

1st Third: When I lit this up, I knew it was heavy on the nicotine as my lips were getting numb right away. This cigar had a distinct floral flavor profile with just a touch of cedar. It burned perfectly and produced a lot of smoke. I wouldn't call the smoke heavy but there was a lot of it.

2nd Third: The floral qualities stayed in the forefront and some cinnamon and ashy flavors came in as well. The smoke became a little more creamy at this point.

3rd Third: The strength kicked up a notch. Some more woodsy flavors came out and it was not quite as floral. At this point, I was sure this cigar had some age on it as I did not get any "young" or ammonia flavors at all. The burn remained perfect as did the flavor.

Final Verdict: I enjoyed this cigar to the point that I would buy a box or 2. The flavors remind me me a bit of a Montecristo but not quite. This was a 4-star winner. If the other 4 are half this good, I'll be one happy camper!

Thanks Tyr and what did I smoke baybeee!

MCS
[Reply]
hscmit 03:33 PM 10-24-2010
nice review, be curious to find out what it was
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 04:36 PM 10-24-2010
A Boli CE? With some age they can be amazing.
[Reply]
massphatness 06:44 PM 10-24-2010
I recently had an HdM Regalos that was similar. The size is about right, and the change from floral to woodsy was in line with what I experienced.

Nice job, Scott!
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:57 PM 10-24-2010
Excellent!!! Glad you enjoyed the smoke Scott. These are excellent cigars that are, unfortunately, no longer in production.

What he smoked:

A 2000 Punch Black Prince

These cigars were discontinued in 2002 much to the dismay of many seasoned cigar smokers. The flavors are very tasty and I agree with you, the strength kicks up a notch or two in the last 1/3 of the cigar.

This smoke holds a special place in my heart as well. It was one of the most memorable cigars I smoked this year. Not for the flavor or taste but because this box belonged to one of our brothers who recently passed away, TOJE (Steve Faccenda). I felt it only appropriate to carry on his legacy of generosity by gifting a cigar from this box to another brother. I will admit to tearing up a bit when I smoked the first cigar out of this box in his honor. Scott, tonight you did his memory proud by unknowingly enjoying this cigar in his honor, and I will again admit to tearing up a bit. He was a good man and he would have wanted you to enjoy this. Thank you for being a part of this with me.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cigar and can't wait for the other reviews :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 05:24 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
Excellent!!! Glad you enjoyed the smoke Scott. These are excellent cigars that are, unfortunately, no longer in production.

What he smoked:

A 2000 Punch Black Prince

These cigars were discontinued in 2002 much to the dismay of many seasoned cigar smokers. The flavors are very tasty and I agree with you, the strength kicks up a notch or two in the last 1/3 of the cigar.

This smoke holds a special place in my heart as well. It was one of the most memorable cigars I smoked this year. Not for the flavor or taste but because this box belonged to one of our brothers who recently passed away, TOJE (Steve Faccenda). I felt it only appropriate to carry on his legacy of generosity by gifting a cigar from this box to another brother. I will admit to tearing up a bit when I smoked the first cigar out of this box in his honor. Scott, tonight you did his memory proud by unknowingly enjoying this cigar in his honor, and I will again admit to tearing up a bit. He was a good man and he would have wanted you to enjoy this. Thank you for being a part of this with me.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cigar and can't wait for the other reviews :-)
Wow! That was an honor! I knew this had to be something out of the ordinary since it tasted a bit like some cigars I've had and yet was different. Thanks so much the opportunity to smoke a rare cigar with some great history to it.

MCS
[Reply]
shilala 07:01 AM 10-25-2010
Well done, gentlemen!!! :-)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 09:40 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Wow! That was an honor! I knew this had to be something out of the ordinary since it tasted a bit like some cigars I've had and yet was different. Thanks so much the opportunity to smoke a rare cigar with some great history to it.

MCS
My pleasure good sir! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am a big fan of the Black Prince as well. I only wish they hadn't discontinued them.
[Reply]
hscmit 10:15 AM 10-25-2010
that is an awesome smoke for a blind review.

great job everyone involved
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:54 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
A Boli CE? With some age they can be amazing.
Boli CE was my first guess too. I have some '98s that are very nice.

But the Black Prince sure sounds like a winner!
[Reply]
mangwhop 01:40 PM 10-25-2010
And nice Guitar BTW.. Jackson?
[Reply]
Louistogies 04:31 PM 10-25-2010
Very cool guys! Great review.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 04:51 PM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by mangwhop:
And nice Guitar BTW.. Jackson?
It's actually a St Blues. It was a prototype for a guitar they never carried. I've been trying to get the action right on it for 3 years!

MCS
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 11:08 AM 11-02-2010
Hey bro! If you smoke #1 today it'll be like we are virtually Herf'in together :-) I'm having the same one tonite :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 04:32 PM 11-02-2010
#1 it is!

This was a robusto size cigar with a light wrapper.

1st Third: Large volume of smoke. Flavors included some floral, cedar, and a dash of spice. There was another flavor that I couldn't pin down til closer to the end. Burn was spot-on. I would describe this as a hearty medium-bodied smoke.

2nd Third: The most prominent change in flavor was the introduction of some sweetness in the form of burnt marshmallow. Everything else stayed steady and good. The mystery flavor was still there and starting to make me think.

Last Third: Eureka!! I got it! Cloves baybeee! The mystery flavor was definitely cloves. Not the overpowering clove flavor you get from a clove cigarette but a much more subdued and enjoyable addition to a great cigar.

This was obviously a winner. I have no idea what I smoked as I haven't had anything like it.

MCS
[Reply]
DBall 04:54 PM 11-02-2010
#1 it is!

This was a robusto size cigar with a light wrapper.

1st Third: Large volume of smoke. Flavors included some floral, cedar, and a dash of spice. There was another flavor that I couldn't pin down til closer to the end. Burn was spot-on. I would describe this as a hearty medium-bodied smoke.

2nd Third: The most prominent change in flavor was the introduction of some sweetness in the form of burnt marshmallow. Everything else stayed steady and good. The mystery flavor was still there and starting to make me think.

Last Third: Eureka!! I got it! Cloves baybeee! The mystery flavor was definitely cloves. Not the overpowering clove flavor you get from a clove cigarette but a much more subdued and enjoyable addition to a great cigar.

This was obviously a winner. I have no idea what I smoked as I haven't had anything like it.

MCS
Now THAT sounds like an awesome smoke.. burnt marshmallow? Damn...
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 05:07 PM 11-02-2010

Oh Scott.... I freakin' LOVE your review of this cigar :-)

Ok, what he really smoked:

A 1986 PSD4

I too get marshmallow flavors and cedar flavors throughout. I also find a light subtle leather flavor with that added bit of spice that you mentioned. I absolutely adore these smokes. This is why we age PSD4's as no matter how good they are fresh, they are nowhere near these babies!

[Reply]
longknocker 05:09 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
Oh Scott.... I freakin' LOVE your review of this cigar :-)

Ok, what he really smoked:

A 1986 PSD4

I too get marshmallow flavors and cedar flavors throughout. I also find a light subtle leather flavor with that added bit of spice that you mentioned. I absolutely adore these smokes. This is why we age PSD4's as no matter how good they are fresh, they are nowhere near these babies!

Wow!! A 1986!:-) Great Review!:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:18 PM 11-02-2010
I wish i had your guys palates. Makes me bummed I missed out on box of Black Prince last year.
[Reply]
hscmit 05:18 PM 11-02-2010
wow what a great cigar

another great review
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up