Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Considreing a Sling Box...
CigarNut 02:18 PM 10-21-2010
I like to sit outside or in the garage to have a cigar and sometimes I would like to be able to keep up with the game or whatever else might be on.

I have heard that I can do this with a Sling Box and I have a few questions:

- Do you need special software on your laptop (or other device) to be able to access the content?

- If I just want to view what's on the TV (not change the channels or anything) is the Sling Box Solo the right model?

- Does the content stream pretty well over wireless G (54Mb)?

- Does the Sling Box delivery HD content OK?

- Are there other (better) choices?

Thanks!
[Reply]
jmsremax 02:22 PM 10-21-2010
Definitely wasn't expecting this to pertain to watching TV :-)

Sounds pretty sweet.
[Reply]
loki 02:24 PM 10-21-2010
i use a slingbox to keep up on Penguins hockey. I wanted to control the tv so I had to get the slingbox pro and where I have it set up doesn't have HD so I can't comment on that. The content stream is fine over wireless, I usually get around 20mbs when I'm watching mine. feel free to pm me if you want or i'll try to answer questions here if I can
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 02:27 PM 10-21-2010
I don't have a slingbox myself but can safely say that if you're looking to stream in HD quality you might want to upgrade to Wireless N to keep it running silky smooth. :-)
[Reply]
waffle 03:17 PM 10-21-2010
I have heard that I can do this with a Sling Box and I have a few questions:

- Do you need special software on your laptop (or other device) to be able to access the content? Nope, you can just go to the website and it'll install the plugin

- If I just want to view what's on the TV (not change the channels or anything) is the Sling Box Solo the right model? I have a Solo and you can change the channels

- Does the content stream pretty well over wireless G (54Mb)? It compensates for the speed of your connection, I have it installed on my phone ($30 app for about all systems... worth EVERY PENNY!) and it streams great! I also use it on the laptop and it looks close to sitting in front of my tv

- Does the Sling Box delivery HD content OK? It loooks amazing when I watch it, I swear by my slingbox and I got it almost 3 years ago... If I had the chance, I'd do it all over again... bonus is if you have Whole Home DVR through Direct or your cable provider, I can watch stuff I taped without interfering with whatever my wife is watching on the ACTUAL DVR box!

- Are there other (better) choices? None that I have found... can't really beat the price (1 time purchase cost, with no monthly fees)

Thanks!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 05:13 PM 10-21-2010
Good thread. I've been thinking about getting one for our system. This answers many of the questions I've had running around my head!
[Reply]
AD720 05:28 PM 10-21-2010
I would grab one if the mobile app wasn't so outrageously priced. $30 is a joke if I'm paying $100 or more for the hardware - espeically when we'd be buying it for like 4 mobile devices (both or our phones, 2 ipod touches and an ipad). Under $5 and I'd get one.
[Reply]
Mr B 05:37 PM 10-21-2010

Woops, Thats Sling Blade. :-)
[Reply]
waffle 05:40 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by AD720:
I would grab one if the mobile app wasn't so outrageously priced. $30 is a joke if I'm paying $100 or more for the hardware - espeically when we'd be buying it for like 4 mobile devices (both or our phones, 2 ipod touches and an ipad). Under $5 and I'd get one.
Yeah, its a bit crazy when you look at it like that... however, do you really need it on BOTH phone and ipod touches and ipad... I mean its only setup to 1 box... and you can only have 1 person active at a time on it.
[Reply]
AD720 05:41 PM 10-21-2010
I would at least want it on my phone and the iPad. That's $60 right there. Half the price of the hardware. And I wouldn't want to be the one to break it to my wife that I can have on my phone but she can't on her's.
[Reply]
hscmit 05:47 PM 10-21-2010
And I wouldn't want to be the one to break it to my wife that I can have on my phone but she can't on her's.
totally worth the extra $30 when you put it that way
[Reply]
waffle 05:49 PM 10-21-2010
I would at least want it on my phone and the iPad. That's $60 right there. Half the price of the hardware. And I wouldn't want to be the one to break it to my wife that I can have on my phone but she can't on her's.
Good point... honestly, I use it so much on my phone/laptop, the $30 figures to like $5/month for 6 months which is cheaper than a netflix account... I guess I just can easily explain it to myself :-)
[Reply]
loki 06:56 PM 10-21-2010
watching the pens game right now on mine and i'm getting 2000kbs
[Reply]
AD720 07:02 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by hscmit:
totally worth the extra $30 when you put it that way
:-) I may be dumb but I'm not stupid on top of it.
[Reply]
waffle 07:05 PM 10-21-2010
Here's what mine looks like while I'm at work (we have AWFUL internet here.... we're in short order to get fiber soon, but not yet)
Attached: slingbox.JPG (54.3 KB) 
[Reply]
loki 07:32 PM 10-21-2010
another pic. this is off a standard def feed
Attached: Picture 1.png (171.3 KB) 
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:24 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by loki:
another pic. this is off a standard def feed
Is this picture of your system using the web plug-in or the Sling Box App?
[Reply]
loki 10:38 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
app that I downloaded last year. not sure if it needs updated or not, but I haven't had any problems so why mess with it :-)
[Reply]
waffle 04:26 AM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Mine's off the web. :-) And the app I believe has a setting to let you know when it needs to update, but I haven't used the app on my 'puter in so long I don't remember... much less hassle with the web plug-in!
[Reply]
loki 07:16 AM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by waffle:
Mine's off the web. :-) And the app I believe has a setting to let you know when it needs to update, but I haven't used the app on my 'puter in so long I don't remember... much less hassle with the web plug-in!
i thought something looked different when I went to install it on a windows box....not that my wife ever lets me use that computer anymore.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up