Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>What Do You Tell Them?
vale 02:46 AM 10-16-2010
Yes, everybody smoker knows and has been asked before, if you know that smoking cigars is very detrimental to your health (because of the nicotine an d so on)

I tell them to ask that to people who like cheese, as more people die from cholestrol than nicotine.

What do you tell them?
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:33 AM 10-16-2010
I tell them to mind their own business, and that smoking a cigar loweres my stress levels, therefore declining the chances of a heart attack.
[Reply]
Bill86 03:46 AM 10-16-2010
I tell them to look at all the fast food they eat. One of us is going to suffer much quicker than the other and they are costing health-care IMMEDIATELY. I also suggest they tax Mcdonalds and leave my cigars/cigarettes alone. I pay for my habit with a higher tax, the health-care afterwards is unnecessary they get me for what $3 a pack and how much on cigars?
[Reply]
Bunker 04:13 AM 10-16-2010
Piss off!
[Reply]
Subvet642 04:39 AM 10-16-2010
I work in a hospital, and I tell them that non-smokers die every day.

or:

"I've got this pink spot on my lung I'm trying to get rid of."

or:

"It takes ten years off your life, but they're at the end, and they suck anyway."

or:

"I'm trying to avoid the nursing home."

or:

"If tobacco taxes pay for healthcare for poor kids, then I'm doin' it for the kids; I'm a philanthropist!"

And finally, my sig line:
[Reply]
bigdix 05:31 AM 10-16-2010
"F*ck off." :-) This is my personal favorite.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:56 AM 10-16-2010
George Burns smoked more cigars than I do, between 10 & 15 a day. He attended his doctor's funeral, who suggested he quit, and lived to be 100 years old. Personally, I cannot afford to smoke that many a day, so I probably won't live that long.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 06:52 AM 10-16-2010
I blow smoke in their face and then suggest they engage in an attempt to procreate in solitude.
[Reply]
Lumpold 07:18 AM 10-16-2010
Remind them that Nicotine has been shown to stop alzhiemer's, and to come back in 3 decades when they're going down the pan and you aren't.

Also, point out the for general Scientific purposes, a 92.5% accuracy is required for something to be true, apart from smoking, where 'peer pressure' has reduced this to 82%.

Or, in line with some others here, and as I pretty much did (see my Oliva V Lancero review), point out their hypocrisy and tell them to F*ck off!
[Reply]
dvickery 07:19 AM 10-16-2010
the death rate remains steady @100%...smoker or non-smoker...me and you all end up in the same place.

derrek :-)
[Reply]
gijoey959 07:22 AM 10-16-2010
"So's your face"

Does it make sense for every statement or question? No.
Does it leave them confused as you walk away smiling? Every time
[Reply]
Blueface 07:40 AM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I tell them to mind their own business, and that smoking a cigar loweres my stress levels, therefore declining the chances of a heart attack.
Aside from that, I tell them I see my General Practitioner regularly for check ups and bi annual blood work.
Additionally, I see him at times I am sick.
Additionally, my wife also sees him.

EACH and EVERY time we see him, I take him a handful of Cuban Cigars so he can enjoy on the golf course.

So......if good enough for my family doctor, good enough for me.:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 09:22 AM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by vale:
Yes, everybody smoker knows and has been asked before, if you know that smoking cigars is very detrimental to your health (because of the nicotine an d so on)

What do you tell them?
I am not sure this is an accurate statement. Although there are many definitive studies regarding cigarette consumption, there have only been one or two on cigar smoking and I dont think they have been conclusive. Nothing good can come from inhaling burning leaves, but the nicotine levels delivered by cigars is relatively low. In cigarettes the chemical additives are even more carcinogenic than nicotine, none of which are present in cigars.

I have only been smoking regularly(2-4/day) for the past 4 years and at this stage in my life I no longer have to answer to anyone about my personal choices. :-)
[Reply]
markem 09:25 AM 10-16-2010
I tend to say, "thank you for your concern"

Very few push it past that. I get to be nice to someone and they get to play at being concerned. Everybody wins.

btw, studies show that the leading cause of death is birth. If you wish to avoid death ...
[Reply]
shilala 09:28 AM 10-16-2010
I say "Yeah, I know. You want one?"
Anyone that really knows me is happy that I just settled on cigars instead of one of a million other sh!tty vices that I could be involved in at that particular moment.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:32 AM 10-16-2010
I just ignore them...
[Reply]
Kreth 09:59 AM 10-16-2010
"Have you heard about the new study linking tobacco use and violent outbursts?"

:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:02 AM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I am not sure this is an accurate statement. Although there are many definitive studies regarding cigarette consumption, there have only been one or two on cigar smoking and I dont think they have been conclusive. Nothing good can come from inhaling burning leaves, but the nicotine levels delivered by cigars is relatively low. In cigarettes the chemical additives are even more carcinogenic than nicotine, none of which are present in cigars.

If you look at other nicotine-delivering methods, it's not the nicotine that causes the problems, but the additives or by-products associated with that method.
Nasal snuff has been around for hundreds of years and there are no documented (or undocumented for that matter) cases that show health risk associated to snuff at all.

From what I read, smoking 2 cigars or less a day has little to no effect on your probability of getting cancer. This is from an ACS study. (Of course, probability is far from absolute, so don't base your life on it.)

Anyway, these are more reason for you to justify your hobby to yourself, rather than to others.

If its your family telling you, smile, tell them you love them and thank them for their concern. If it's a stranger, well all bets are off.
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:07 AM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
"Have you heard about the new study linking tobacco use and violent outbursts?"

[Reply]
bazookajoe 10:59 AM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
I tend to say, "thank you for your concern"

Very few push it past that. I get to be nice to someone and they get to play at being concerned. Everybody wins...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up