Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>iPhone/iPad Tips and Tricks
shilala 08:09 AM 10-07-2010
I keep learning new stuff on my iphone that makes using it more and more of a joy every day.
I added iPad because OS4.0 is supposed to come next month, and the tips and tricks should be the same.
Don't be shy about posting things you may think are completely obvious. I'm sure I will.
Let's try to keep this in order by adding to a list.

Here goes...

1. Don't use a metallic cover. It'll zero out your GPS reception and seriously degrade your cellular/data reception.

2. When you are scrolling down through a forum like here at CA and want to get back to the top of the screen to get to "Today's Post" and stuff, just tap the very top of the screen and you'll return to the top of the page immediately. Saves a lot of time. (I use the full version, never saw the mobile version of CA)

3. Go to setings/brightness and turn on your Auto Brightness. It saves tons of battery. Either that or turn it off and take your brightness down as low as you can stand it. That extends the battery by leaps as well.

4. Go to Settings/General/Bluetooth and turn it off if you don't use it. That saves a ton of battery life as well. Sometimes it's turned on by default, and some apps turn it on when you don't need it. If you haven't noticed it's on, it's a great way to save lots of battery.

I'm looking forward to see what you guys can share!!! :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 08:29 AM 10-07-2010
Always use the lock code feature.
If lost, they can't tap your information and have to reset it.
You can go to settings and customize this password so it is more complex than just four numbers.

If you use MobileMe, don't forget to activate the feature that allows you to take action on your phone remotely.

Oh, BTW, iPhone sucks!!!
[Reply]
sikk50 08:31 AM 10-07-2010
Ok I'll play.

1. If you don't mind checking your email by openning the mail app manually, turn off your push notifications in the settings. It's the number one waster of battery life as it sits there and checks your mail every couple minutes.

2. How often do you randomly find a screen shot of your phone in your camera roll? Happens all the time and most people don't know why.... simply hold down the home button then tap the sleep button and there you go. The screen will flash white breifly indicating you now have a screen shot.

3. This ones lame but pretty useful. Double tap the screen to zoom in and out rather than pinching.

4. When in text mode double tap the shift button to enable caplocks
[Reply]
Blueface 08:34 AM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
Ok I'll play.

1. If you don't mind checking your email by openning the mail app manually, turn off your push notifications in the settings. It's the number one waster of battery life as it sits there and checks your mail every couple minutes.

2. How often do you randomly find a screen shot of your phone in your camera roll? Happens all the time and most people don't know why.... simply hold down the home button then tap the sleep button and there you go. The screen will flash white breifly indicating you now have a screen shot.

3. This ones lame but pretty useful. Double tap the screen to zoom in and out rather than pinching.

4. When in text mode double tap the shift button to enable caplocks
I love the screenshot one.

I think this qualifies as a "trick".
Take a screenshot of your home screen or your actual phone dial screen.
Next time someone asks to use your phone, pull up the shot from your cameral roll and then hand them the phone.
Sit back and laugh as they hit keys that won't work.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 08:35 AM 10-07-2010
I only have one tip.

If you get ticked off and want to throw it at the wall, don't. Instead, place it securly into a USPS priority box and send it to your pal mariogolbee. This way you can recycle it while still showing it who's boss!
[Reply]
Blueface 08:40 AM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
I only have one tip.

If you get ticked off and want to throw it at the wall, don't. Instead, place it securly into a USPS priority box and send it to your pal mariogolbee. This way you can recycle it while still showing it who's boss!
Why do that?
I believe this is still applicable as the title is "tricks".
Do as Scott guided me.
Put it on eBay and get over $400 for a damaged phone as I did.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 08:46 AM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Why do that?
Do as Scott guided me.
:-) I'm just sharing a good tip.:-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:53 AM 10-07-2010
Here's a texting one that Andrew made me think of...
If you're in ABC keyboard and just need to go get one character from the 123 keyboard, like a ", Press and hold the 123 button and the screen will change to the 123 characters.
Slide your finger (without ever lifting it) to the " and let off of it. The screen will automatically snap back to the ABC keyboard. It saves a button push, you don't have to change keyboards every time you just need one character.
Cool trick if you text a lot like I do. It saves time. :-)
Even if you don't end up using it, try it. It's cool. Intuitive and innovative, anyways. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:56 AM 10-07-2010
Still baffling yet wonderful, right Carlos?
Much like women. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 09:05 AM 10-07-2010
Hold the home button down and don't let go.
Voice control will pop up.
[Reply]
T.G 09:09 AM 10-07-2010
Why do that?
Do as Scott guided me.
Mario will turn, errr, do, tricks for a free phone... :-)
[Reply]
landhoney 09:32 AM 10-07-2010
2 Questions? (iPhone 4)

#1. Saw a guy's iPhone that when you went to 'contacts' it had two general 'folders': contacts and groups. How do you do this? Mine just lists the contacts but I'd like to set up groups of certain contacts. He has an apple computer, I do not, is that the problem?

#2. Assuming I can get a 'group' of contacts, can you text message them all together? Basically when I want to text a group of my buddies all together I have to add each one. Admittedly, this is pretty easy, but it would be nice to just select "wednesday night guys" and text them all.
[Reply]
sikk50 10:05 AM 10-07-2010
I believe your phone has to be jailbroken but I'm not positive...
[Reply]
poker 10:21 AM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
2 Questions? (iPhone 4)

#1. Saw a guy's iPhone that when you went to 'contacts' it had two general 'folders': contacts and groups. How do you do this? Mine just lists the contacts but I'd like to set up groups of certain contacts. He has an apple computer, I do not, is that the problem?

#2. Assuming I can get a 'group' of contacts, can you text message them all together? Basically when I want to text a group of my buddies all together I have to add each one. Admittedly, this is pretty easy, but it would be nice to just select "wednesday night guys" and text them all.
There are many apps for this ability. Just do a search for "groups" at the App store.

Some of the apps will only organize, while others allow you to text, SMS, and email groups.
[Reply]
landhoney 01:31 PM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by poker:
There are many apps for this ability. Just do a search for "groups" at the App store.

Some of the apps will only organize, while others allow you to text, SMS, and email groups.
Gotcha. :-) Thanks

His was not an app though, at least it did not look that way. I have a text free app already, and will check if it has this function. Otherwise its back to the app store for "groups". :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 02:41 PM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
Gotcha. :-) Thanks

His was not an app though, at least it did not look that way. I have a text free app already, and will check if it has this function. Otherwise its back to the app store for "groups". :-)
Seth,
Do you have a macbook?
If you do, I believe if you go into your address book and set up a new group, it should appear when you sync your phone.

When you sync your phone, make sure "all groups" is selected.
[Reply]
Blueface 02:46 PM 10-07-2010
Seth,
Do you have a macbook?
If you do, I believe if you go into your address book and set up a new group, it should appear when you sync your phone.

When you sync your phone, make sure "all groups" is selected.
Just tested it.
Sure does work.
Then when you want to do a text message, you can select your group.
No app needed.
[Reply]
poker 04:00 PM 10-07-2010
The app I guess was intended for the less fortunate (like me) that dont have a Mac :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 04:04 PM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by poker:
The app I guess was intended for the less fortunate (like me) that dont have a Mac :-)
Yup.
[Reply]
BFallehy 04:23 PM 10-07-2010
My tip, and I admit I have only had my iPhone for about a month now.

Get the Otter Box case. It is definatly worth it.

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up