Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Oh, Canada- STICKER SHOCK!
Doctorossi 10:27 AM 10-04-2010
:-)

I just had a first-hand encounter with the "new" pricing in Canada (hadn't been in a couple years). Yeesh. For those who don't know, what used to be essentially at parity with most European retail is now 2-3 times that, across the board.

:-) to all my Canadian brothers and sisters. I don't envy your sad situation. That's some silly, ridiculous bucks they want, to get your lips on just about anything. I saw some pretty HTF disco'd stuff on the shelves, but I understood why and I left them there, as well. Walked away empty-handed, full-walleted and broken-hearted.

:-)
[Reply]
DMK 12:27 PM 10-04-2010
That is why I can't support my local B & M anymore.... that and our stupid display laws in Ontario....
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:29 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by DMK:
our stupid display laws in Ontario....
Those will be showing up soon down here, too. :-)
[Reply]
Goldie 12:32 PM 10-04-2010
I am not familiar with "display laws" could someone be so kind as to enlighten a nooblet?

And I remember another BOTL from Canada posting just yesterday that some of the high end CC's were running in the $40 range.......:-) fook me. My condolences boys.
[Reply]
neoflex 12:45 PM 10-04-2010
I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing grumblings of this somewhere. It's when you can't physically view the cigars but have to look at pictures in a catalog and choose what you want and than the person working there will get them for you. Please correct me if I am wrong.
[Reply]
rizzle 12:49 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Those will be showing up soon down here, too. :-)
Say wha? What's the dealio, Greg?
[Reply]
stewshi 01:08 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing grumblings of this somewhere. It's when you can't physically view the cigars but have to look at pictures in a catalog and choose what you want and than the person working there will get them for you. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Maybe im not as smart as the law makers but whats the point of this?
[Reply]
357 01:15 PM 10-04-2010
The display law is reducilous. They can't even have cigarette packs visible at gas stations & such. There are plastic flaps covering the cartons they sell out of.

The first time I noticed it I asked and the clerk said "They call it going dark." I responded "Where I'm from they call it going commie". He didn't laugh. I thought it was funny.

Edited to mention all cigar displays and signs referring to tobacco sales are not allowed to be displayed outside the store unless somehow grandfathered in such as cigar or tobacco being part of the name of the business.
[Reply]
Chingas 01:16 PM 10-04-2010
I did hear about this and there was talk in Jersey that this may come down the pike in the future. Imagine not being able to physically select your sticks at your local B&M? That's some **** right there.

I'm sure more can elaborate but lets go back to the OP for a second. Are you saying the prices on CC and NC sticks are 2 to 3 times more than the average in the states and around the world?
[Reply]
Goldie 01:16 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by stewshi:
I think in lots of cases that statement should be flipped around.
[Reply]
neoflex 01:22 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by stewshi:
To supposedly keep kids from wanting to buy cigarettes and cigars. You know because we all see young kids running into the local B&M to pick up the newest release from Pete Johnson.:-) I think having to i.d. people is enough. Do we really need to take it a step further? I love how we can no longer think for ourselves.
[Reply]
DMK 01:25 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing grumblings of this somewhere. It's when you can't physically view the cigars but have to look at pictures in a catalogue and choose what you want and than the person working there will get them for you. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Pretty much correct....:-)
They are trying to keep the kiddies from starting to smoke anything...:-)
Plastic flaps over the shelves for cigs and tinted out the windows in the cigar humidor @ the local B & M so you can't see what if anything is in stock. You get to look in a book to decide what you want and staff go into the humidor to 'pick' you sticks for you.:-)
Most of the kids buy the Indian reserve smokes...
On top of all the Bull, ridiculously high taxes.
They wonder why we 'tax avoid':-)
[Reply]
mithrilG60 01:32 PM 10-04-2010
In Canada the blacked out display is not a provincial law, it's federal. As with all the laws aimed at reducing the appeal of tobacco to children, it's not targeted cigars.... it's targeted at cigarettes and flavoured cigarillos. It also only applies to public stores in which children under the age of 18 are legally allowed to enter. Bespoke B&M's can achieve the same result by tinting out their doors/windows and enforcing a no minor's policy, if they do that then there's no need to cover up the humidors.

As for pricing, welcome to Canada and the rest of the world. The US still has it very very easy in terms of the level of taxation you pay. Enjoy it while it lasts :-)
[Reply]
cricky101 02:05 PM 10-04-2010
Getting the glossy Holt's catalog makes me want to smoke, so I guess out-of-sight, out-of-mind would work to deter me :-)
[Reply]
e-man67 02:08 PM 10-04-2010
I went to Windsor back in 1992 with a few friends. Went into a B&M there and Cohiba Esplendidos were $75ea, Monte #2's were $50, and I paid $7 for a Jose Piedra! :-)
[Reply]
Old Sailor 02:08 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
I did hear about this and there was talk in Jersey that this may come down the pike in the future. Imagine not being able to physically select your sticks at your local B&M? That's some **** right there.

I'm sure more can elaborate but lets go back to the OP for a second. Are you saying the prices on CC and NC sticks are 2 to 3 times more than the average in the states and around the world?

That sums it up right on the button!!:-):-)
[Reply]
Chingas 02:13 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by Old Sailor:
[/u]

That sums it up right on the button!!:-):-)
Holy Sh1t! And they are still in business? That seems like an easy boycott to me. I can't see anyone ever paying those prices if they can just order it in the ma for a third of the price.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:27 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
Are you saying the prices on CC and NC sticks are 2 to 3 times more than the average in the states and around the world?
Generally leaning more toward 3 than 2. :-)
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 03:16 PM 10-04-2010
That is pretty much how it is here in Canada. On top of that, Montreal (Quebec) has some nasty provincial tax along with the federal to make the prices on cigars even more insane. Just to sum it all up:

Cigarettes (Almost 10$ per pack)
Any Cuban Cigar (35$ and +)
Don Pepin Blue Label (24$)

We have it all, including Cubans, oh and how could I forget, the highest taxes as well.
[Reply]
Chingas 03:19 PM 10-04-2010
Maybe us Americans should be bombing out Canadian brothers...

You can always order out of country correct? Cigars.com goes international and acme sites that remain unmentioned ship worldwide. So you should be able to get all te same smokes at the same prices we pay.

Only difference would be the local, correct?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up