Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Oliva Maduro's taking over CA!!
icantbejon 12:46 AM 11-07-2008
It seems that the Oliva Maddy is taking over this site. Seems like every other post I read includes this cigar in some way. And this made me think.

What was the last cigar you can remember that caused this much interest? I'm fairly new to the cigar forum world, but I've never seen so much talk about the same cigar.
[Reply]
SmokinAFuente 01:37 AM 11-07-2008
Had one tonight. Nice smoke.
[Reply]
icantbejon 04:02 AM 11-07-2008
I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews on this cigar. I have a box waiting on me, and I'm excited for them. I am a little nervous they won't live up to the hype though.
[Reply]
Bax 04:05 AM 11-07-2008
Not sure of the others, maybe Illusiones? Anjeos? I just happened to get a V Maddy in the mail today from PapaJohn, though.:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 04:44 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews on this cigar. I have a box waiting on me, and I'm excited for them. I am a little nervous they won't live up to the hype though.
They definitely live up to the hype. They are my favorite NC so far.

One vendor told me that this is the most hyped cigar since the Tat Black.
[Reply]
sofaman 05:13 AM 11-07-2008
I know Illusiones and 601's were huge when they came out and in my opinion they both lived up to the hype:-)
[Reply]
icantbejon 05:17 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
They definitely live up to the hype. They are my favorite NC so far.

One vendor told me that this is the most hyped cigar since the Tat Black.
I wasn't around for the Tat Black revolution. I was still smoking swisher sweets at that time I think :-)
[Reply]
jm0307 05:26 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
I have had many boxes of Oliva maduros, G and O, Robusto, Figurado, Torpedo, Special G, which in addition came with a free Oliva 8-pack of varying sizes on every occasion. I can say that, in my opinion, when they are on target, then they are a splendid smoke offering great value for money. However, the maduros, particularly, are also frequently off target... On the whole, still one of my go to cigars, though I am leaning increasingly to the naturals, with a preference of O over G.
[Reply]
rsamos 06:13 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by jm0307:
I have had many boxes of Oliva maduros, G and O, Robusto, Figurado, Torpedo, Special G, which in addition came with a free Oliva 8-pack of varying sizes on every occasion. I can say that, in my opinion, when they are on target, then they are a splendid smoke offering great value for money. However, the maduros, particularly, are also frequently off target... On the whole, still one of my go to cigars, though I am leaning increasingly to the naturals, with a preference of O over G.
I could be wrong, but I was assuming the OP was talking about the 'V' maddy which just saw a limited first release.
[Reply]
Vitis 09:59 AM 11-07-2008
Im sitting on a box+2 but haven't tried em yet. I think the QPR on the regular V Series helps build the hype for the V Mad. Add that they are a hell of a lot cheaper than other supposedly "hard to find cigars" at $8 and that they are really not that hard to find and you have hype. Everyone loves to have "special cigars" in their humi, and a lot of folks cannt find/afford stuff like Opus. This one is attainable. :-)

~Vitis
[Reply]
zmancbr 10:04 AM 11-07-2008
I would say the last was definitely the Tat black. It was so hyped and with good reason too... its the best of the Tat line... :-)
[Reply]
jaycarla 10:53 AM 11-07-2008
It seems this time of year I see Anejo in just about as many posts.
[Reply]
papajohn67 11:03 AM 11-07-2008
Hyped cigars...have we already forgot about the "Nub"?

As for Maduro's I doubt if the "V" Maduro will ever make my top 10 Maduro list. How do you spell disappointed, well I guess I just did. :-)
[Reply]
kfish 11:08 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by papajohn67:

As for Maduro's I doubt if the "V" Maduro will ever make my top 10 Maduro list. How do you spell disappointed, well I guess I just did. :-)
:-)

Gotta agree the NUB was the first cigar that I thought of when it came to recently hyped cigars.
[Reply]
rhdad42 11:09 AM 11-07-2008
I'm with you, papajohn67. It didn't do it for me, and it seems every day there are new posts singing the praises of this cigar.
[Reply]
Coz77 11:28 AM 11-07-2008
Take the cigar for what it is...I find hype sometimes ruins otherwise great cigars. My 1st opus sucked because I expected so much from it. In actuality though Im sure its was fantastic. The second one however was :-):-):-).

Sit back relax and smoke that cigar with no prerequisites.

Dont believe the HYPE!! YEAH BOY!

[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:57 AM 11-07-2008

I sadly agree. I really wanted to like this cigar but all I got was amonia and a headache. I hope time with take care of that.
[Reply]
groogs 11:59 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by Coz77:
Take the cigar for what it is...

Sit back relax and smoke that cigar with no prerequisites.

Dont believe the HYPE!! YEAH BOY!

That is some great advise.
[Reply]
BengalMan 12:06 PM 11-07-2008
With the V Maduro we released a cigar that the consumer really urged us for some time now to make. This was pretty much a limited run to give back to all the customers that made the V such a success. There may be another release next year at some point, but to be honest, I just don't know. I'm really looking forward to how these are going to taste with some rest.

As far as the Nub goes, many liked the cigar, some didn't. As it's been said many times before, that's the great thing about our hobby, we all like different things. Me personally, I'm a huge fan of the Nub CT 354 and the Habano 460. Those cigars are often in my rotation.
[Reply]
Langod 01:21 PM 11-07-2008
I bought two Olive V Maduros a couple of weeks ago. Smoked the first one a two nights ago. It was a excellent, pleasant smoke with great flavor.... for about 1/2 the stick. Then it wouldn't stay lit. I was kind of bummed out since I was enjoying it. After 4 or 5 attempts at relighting it, I gave up. Felt bad to throw away fully half of an $8 cigar.

I'll let the 2nd one sit in the humi for a few more months and before I try it.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up