Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Painting Rant
Tuxguy 08:34 PM 07-20-2010
Just needed to b!tch. Just got done painting our bedroom. We hate the color!
So not only did I waste time painting the room, the damn sales guy at HD talked me into buying 2 gallons when I only needed 1. So...;. Anybody wanna buy a sealed can of Behr Ultra (Moss Print) that can not be returned. I am hoping maybe they can try turning it into a different color! :-):-):-):-):-):
[Reply]
thebayratt 08:38 PM 07-20-2010
They can change it to a different color. Just not too far off from the original. Maybe a little darker/lighter.

They can't go too far off the original color or you will need a different base (more colorant = less base = different base).

Next time go to Lowe's~
[Reply]
loki 09:00 PM 07-20-2010
dude that sucks! least ya can have a stogie now
[Reply]
awsmith4 09:08 PM 07-20-2010
I believe they will take it back, you may have to o above the cashier but HD has a pretty good return policy. You may not get full price but its worth a shot.
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:13 PM 07-20-2010
I once accidentally painted our living room 1 shade darker than the original. Since it didn't make much difference in the room I ended up trying out a Faux Finish technique. I pretty much got a glaze of a darker shade and with the help of a crumpled trash back started patting down the wall with the glaze. It came out amazing. Maybe you can try doing something like that?
[Reply]
thebayratt 10:38 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I believe they will take it back, you may have to o above the cashier but HD has a pretty good return policy. You may not get full price but its worth a shot.
I doubt they will.. most "custom' colors are non-refundable at "big box" stores. So basically if they mix it, its custom.

I say just find a color similar to what you got and get them to retint the extra can.

But if they can't/won't, I'd call HD's corporate care line and tell them the moron's name who sold you two gallons for a one gallon room. Now you have an extra gallon that you really don't like all that well and you can't return it. Then it gets sent to the store management, they slap the paint idiot on the wrist, tell him to learn how to read a can, and to learn simple math. They call you try and kiss your butt, then thats when you tell them you want a refund on the extra can.

Seen it happen in not so certain terms alot... I know the system.
[Reply]
awsmith4 11:04 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
I doubt they will.. most "custom' colors are non-refundable at "big box" stores. So basically if they mix it, its custom.

I say just find a color similar to what you got and get them to retint the extra can.

But if they can't/won't, I'd call HD's corporate care line and tell them the moron's name who sold you two gallons for a one gallon room. Now you have an extra gallon that you really don't like all that well and you can't return it. Then it gets sent to the store management, they slap the paint idiot on the wrist, tell him to learn how to read a can, and to learn simple math. They call you try and kiss your butt, then thats when you tell them you want a refund on the extra can.

Seen it happen in not so certain terms alot... I know the system.
I agree with most big box stores but I worked at HD about 10years ago and in training I remember how they stressed to take merchandise back no matter what because it builds good customer relations. I wasn't a cashier so I may not know the rules but that stuck out in my mind.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 08:10 PM 07-21-2010
it clearly stats on the top label of the can NOT RETURNABLE!!!
We will see tomorrow
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 05:13 PM 07-22-2010
I hate nothing more than painting rooms. It's always the trim, and the windows, and the small runs you get. Drives me wild.
I couldn't imagine painting a room then not liking it.:-)
[Reply]
J0eybb 05:15 PM 07-22-2010
My wife bought 5 gallons of pink paint to paint a 12x12 room.

What am I supposed to do with 4.5 gallons of pink paint?
[Reply]
forgop 05:35 PM 07-22-2010
:-)
Originally Posted by J0eybb:
My wife bought 5 gallons of pink paint to paint a 12x12 room.

What am I supposed to do with 4.5 gallons of pink paint?
that'll look nice in the man cave. LOL
[Reply]
BigFrank 06:09 PM 07-22-2010
Head back tomorrow see if they will change it or return it. If not toss it in there dumpster on the way out.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 07:11 PM 07-22-2010
My fiance wanted me to touch up some paint in the bedroom and living room. She brought up the leftover paint from the basement and I got to work. Turns out she brought up the slightly darker blue from the kitchen for the living room, and the slightly lighter beige from the guest room for the bedroom. I got to repaint both rooms in their entirety :-)
[Reply]
RGD. 01:09 AM 07-23-2010
Originally Posted by Tuxguy:
Just needed to b!tch. Just got done painting our bedroom. We hate the color!
So not only did I waste time painting the room, the damn sales guy at HD talked me into buying 2 gallons when I only needed 1. So...;. Anybody wanna buy a sealed can of Behr Ultra (Moss Print) that can not be returned. I am hoping maybe they can try turning it into a different color! :-):-):-):-):-):

I looked up the color. What don't you both like about it? Too light or too dark? Wrong shade? They can add tint to it - making it darker. You could also just buy a gallon of white and mix it yourself if it's to dark. Other options would be: if it's to dark - paint the trim and doors with the same color a few shades darker. If it's to light - paint the trim and doors white.

I normally (but not always) buy those sample jars before I paint, esp if the wife is going to have any say so in the color. I feel for you though - it's always tough. When I use to paint homes I always made the customers sign a sheet with the color selection. After getting burned on one cause they didn't like the color they picked once it was on the walls -pain the ass.

Hope it works out for you -

Ron
[Reply]
Tuxguy 05:57 PM 07-24-2010
So they would not take it back but a nice girl there tried her darnest to make the shade we wanted. Tried a small area and its nothing like what want. It was a shade of green but once seeing it done it looks to country for us. So we decide on a blue/green/gray called Zen
[Reply]
SaltyMcGee 06:17 PM 07-24-2010
Everytime I saw this thread my dyslexia kicked in and I thought the subject read "parting rant." I expected to read some dude whinning about this and that, being lit up by those of us that love this place. Drama averted.

Oh yeah, painting totally sux! :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 06:41 PM 07-24-2010
I just re-did this room a couple weeks ago. That is Behr Bellagio Faux on the lighter part of the walls. It was a pretty decently dark Mocha base color under. The bellagio faux *really* lightened it up. Maybe its possible to get one of the faux colors to change yours around?

[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:45 PM 07-24-2010
We paint a chit load all the time in our rental properties, but I hate painting for the wife. It is an absolute no win situation!!! I hope your's works out brother...
[Reply]
MikeyC 07:40 AM 07-25-2010
I absolutely HATE painting. We moved a couple years ago and I painted almost the entire condo. It was hellish. Now the wife and I are expecting our first little one and she wants me to re-paint one of the bedrooms. NOT looking forward to it.
[Reply]
mahtofire 11:58 AM 07-25-2010
I'm getting geared up to paint pretty much a whole house. Just moved in and the woman wants more color......saw it coming but still not motivated at all to do it....
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up