Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>What are good watch brands *not uber expensive*
kgoings 09:02 AM 11-05-2008
I hardly ever wear a watch, but I saw on one of my regular bargain shopping websites that someone has a Seiko Flightmaster watch for sale for $97. Seikos are pretty good, but I dont know if I need all those extras that I wont use.
[Reply]
rack04 09:11 AM 11-05-2008
I just bought a Seiko Chronograph. I really like it. It was 50% of at Macy's so I got it for $150.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:17 AM 11-05-2008
for 97 bucks, it will perform well, as a Seiko. Worse comes to worse, it's only 97 bucks.
What are you looking for in a watch, and what is your price range?
Without snooty watch guy advice, I imagine there are a couple guys that can help you out.
[Reply]
MLC 09:18 AM 11-05-2008
Invicta makes good watches - screw down crown, screws instead of pins in band, solid links- I've had the Invicta Speedway for over 3 yrs no problems. Their watches range from about $150 to $3,000.

Festina is also a good not uber expensive brand
[Reply]
av8tor152d 09:21 AM 11-05-2008
Casio G-Shocks for every day wear to work, Have one that has survived 2 deployments to Iraq and still is going strong... Band smells a little funky but when it gets bad I just toss it in the dishwasher.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:22 AM 11-05-2008
I wear an Orient, a division of Seiko, for an everyday, automatic watch. rotating bezel, screw down crowns, 200 m waterproof, good looking, and you can get one for under a hundred bucks, looks and feels like a watch you could waste a hell of a lot more money on, and get about the same adequate level of performance.
[Reply]
Tombstone 09:24 AM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
I wear an Orient, a division of Seiko, for an everyday, automatic watch. rotating bezel, screw down crowns, 200 m waterproof, good looking, and you can get one for under a hundred bucks, looks and feels like a watch you could waste a hell of a lot more money on, and get about the same adequate level of performance.
I strongly agree with you. I purchased a Tag Aquaracer and to this day i wish that i would have purchased an orient. I could have had a quality watch with a fat wallet.
[Reply]
croatan 09:27 AM 11-05-2008
As far as price/quality goes, there are some great German watches out there. Sinn comes immediately to mind. Very well-done pilots watches under 2k new.

Another good watch on a budget is Omega. Definitely more bang for your buck than most and you can find them used.

Going even cheaper, Hamilton and Longines make some good stuff, too.
[Reply]
Tombstone 09:28 AM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
As far as price/quality goes, there are some great German watches out there. Sinn comes immediately to mind. Very well-done pilots watches under 2k new.

Another good watch on a budget is Omega. Definitely more bang for your buck than most and you can find them used.
Omega makes some great watches. IMO they are better than Rolex's.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 09:30 AM 11-05-2008
Hard to beat Seiko or Citizen. I haven't seen a reasonably prices Swiss watch in 10 years or so ... used to be you could get a nice Glycine, Epos, Fortis, Oris, Revue Thommen or Zeno for under $400. Not any more. And mechanical watches are cool, but normally need servicing each 5-8 years, which is not cheap. Seiko mechanicals are basically throw away .. it would cost as much to service as buy a new one unless you are lucky and have a good watchmaker nearby.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 09:38 AM 11-05-2008
I have a Seiko flight watch and absolutely love it, I get compliments all the time on it.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:39 AM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:

Going even cheaper, Hamilton and Longines make some good stuff, too.
I think we might need his definition of "uber-expensive." For some guys, spending more than a couple hundred bucks on an everyday watch isn't reasonable, with the abuse that a watch can take on a guys wrist. I am one of them, I don't take my watch off almost ever, and between work, messing around with cars, a few different hobbies, and my clutziness, value/robust design/performance/appearance is a definite consideration. He posted a watch in the hundred dollar range, and I think that jacking that advice to a $600-1200 watch might not be what he is looking for.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 09:41 AM 11-05-2008
I like to wear either a Seiko Coutura or a Sawtooth from time to time.

The Coutura is nice beacuse it's a Kinetic Perpetual which means all I have to do is give it a few shakes and it sets the correct time, date, year and month all on it's own. No battery to worry about.

The Sawtooth is a heavy meaty timepiece that I use as a roustabout watch since it will more likly hurt something else before it gets hurt itself.

Bottom line is you probably won't get the attention many other bands will bring you, but you'll get an excellet watch for a great value.

Seiko is a very solid brand.

You may also want to check out Hamilton as well. They have some nice watches spanning the price points from top to bottom.
[Reply]
croatan 09:48 AM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
I think we might need his definition of "uber-expensive." For some guys, spending more than a couple hundred bucks on an everyday watch isn't reasonable, with the abuse that a watch can take on a guys wrist. I am one of them, I don't take my watch off almost ever, and between work, messing around with cars, a few different hobbies, and my clutziness, value/robust design/performance/appearance is a definite consideration. He posted a watch in the hundred dollar range, and I think that jacking that advice to a $600-1200 watch might not be what he is looking for.
True. A price range would help immensely. "Uber expensive" is certainly relative. What I wear some would consider uber-expensive and some might scoff at. I did try to run the gamut on pricing, though, at least with watches with which I'm familiar. There are many Hamiltons and Longines available for far less than $600.
[Reply]
Sailchaser 09:55 AM 11-05-2008
Watches are another bad habit that I have and seiko for every day at work are fine ,I one of the best repair centers for seiko and citizen called J&R watch repair, the service all years and all makes, they are the only one I ever trust,pm me if you need an info
[Reply]
Sancho 12:01 PM 11-05-2008
My daily beater watch is an Alpha, made in china with a bracelet that probably is worth what you pay for the watch (~50) they are styled after the popular higher end brands, are water resistant, screw down crown and case back, etc. and keep accurate time.

Another brand to consider is Vostok, russian manufacturer makes some slick watches in the 60-200 range all automatics with ratings up to 200m for their divers, screw downs crowns etc etc.

As someone else said, citizen makes a sweet watch for a bit more money 120-500 as a plus if you get a ecodrive you wont need batteries and it just goes and goes as long as it gets daylight every so often.
[Reply]
Old Sailor 01:09 PM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by av8tor152d:
Casio G-Shocks for every day wear to work, Have one that has survived 2 deployments to Iraq and still is going strong... Band smells a little funky but when it gets bad I just toss it in the dishwasher.
I have the metal band on mine....great watch!!:-):-)
[Reply]
GrtndpwrflOZ 01:22 PM 11-05-2008
I agree, I have 3 Invictas and they are all great.
Crotan is another inexpensive watch that seems to work well.

Originally Posted by MLC:
Invicta makes good watches - screw down crown, screws instead of pins in band, solid links- I've had the Invicta Speedway for over 3 yrs no problems. Their watches range from about $150 to $3,000.

Festina is also a good not uber expensive brand

[Reply]
White97Jimmy 01:57 PM 11-05-2008
Originally Posted by Sailchaser:
Watches are another bad habit that I have and seiko for every day at work are fine ,I one of the best repair centers for seiko and citizen called J&R watch repair, the service all years and all makes, they are the only one I ever trust,pm me if you need an info
Is that the one next to Smokers Outlet?

For work, I have a few Timex watches. Ultra cheap and takes a lickin and keeps on tickin! For dress, I wear my Burberry Chrono.
[Reply]
spincycle 02:19 PM 11-05-2008
I love Nixon watches. But I buy for style and nothing else really.

http://www.nixonnow.com/
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up