Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>Mid season award winners
jonumberone 01:55 PM 07-17-2010
This is probably a week too late, but i just had this conversation last night. lets see if it goes anywhere.

If the season ended at the All Star Break, Who would be your picks for the top MLB awards?

Mine

MVP
A.L. Miguel Cabrera DET
N.L. Joey Votto CIN

Cy Young
A.L. David Price TB
N.L. Josh Johnson Fla

Rookie of the Year
A.L. Brennen Boesch DET
N.L. Jamie Garcia STL
[Reply]
The Poet 01:59 PM 07-17-2010
And what about Fireman Of The Year? Me, I always pick Mo, but I'm prejudiced.
[Reply]
jonumberone 02:04 PM 07-17-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
And what about Fireman Of The Year?
That went to the blind ones on the golf course.:-)

Fireman Of The Year
A.L. MO!... Always has been and always will be the best.
N.L. Heath Bell SD
[Reply]
The Poet 02:11 PM 07-17-2010
:-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 02:21 PM 07-17-2010
Mid season

MVP
AL - Hamilton or Cabrera
NL - Votto or Howard

Cy Young
AL - Lester
NL - Jimenez

Rookie of the Year
AL - Boesch
NL - Heyward
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:08 PM 07-17-2010
Mine

MVP
A.L. Josh Hamilton TEX
N.L. Joey Votto CIN

Cy Young
A.L. David Price TB
N.L. Ubaldo Jiminez COL

Rookie of the Year
A.L. Brennen Boesch DET
N.L. Jason Heyward ATL
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:04 PM 07-17-2010
Where are the Chicago White Sox? 25-5 going into break???? I guess they are over looked:-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 10:35 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Where are the Chicago White Sox? 25-5 going into break???? I guess they are over looked:-)
You want Konerko or Rios as the MVP? Neither of them have numbers that compare to Cabrera or Hamilton, particularly across the board. :-)

They don't have a pitcher in the top 10 of anything except starts.

And don't have a rookie as a regular starter.

So which mid-season award did you want bestowed upon whom? :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 04:59 AM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
The only award anyone on the Whitesox could be considered for, Ozzie for Manager of the Year. Even that is debateable now that Ron Washington is coke free.:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:18 AM 07-19-2010
Fireman of the year in the NL has to go to Arthur Rhodes. The man just comes in and gets people out.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:52 PM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
You want Konerko or Rios as the MVP? Neither of them have numbers that compare to Cabrera or Hamilton, particularly across the board. :-)

They don't have a pitcher in the top 10 of anything except starts.

And don't have a rookie as a regular starter.

Rios is not worthy? The numbers are less than Miguel and Josh in some areas, but not by far. I would vote Rios for sure just because he has speed, power and hits for average. He has 23 SB's this year. That and his batting numbers mean a lot combined. Miguel has 2 and Josh has 7. I'm sorry but if you know baseball, getting on base and making things happen is a big deal. And we should almost just take Josh out of this. He has 29 more AB's than Rios. That's a lot of opportunity. Yes I know that Miguel has 79 rbi's and 22 hr's. At mid season, I think Rios is an overall better player.

More things to consider. Strikeouts- Rios 48 Cabrera 57, GDP- Rios 7 Cabrera 12, %chance of hitting into double play- Rios 12% Cabrera 15%,

Something important is having baserunners on when your at the plate. Especially when considering batting numbers. When Rios is AB, 208 BR's have been on base. For Miguel, he has had 68 more baserunners on base for him totaling 276 baserunners. That means more opportunity to hit people in. I wonder what Rios and his numbers would look like with 68 more people on base for him? So I think if we consider these things, numbers are put into perspective more and it makes players more comparable.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:56 PM 07-19-2010
Also Rios has committed 7 less erros than Miguel.
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:27 PM 07-19-2010
Also Rios has committed 7 less erros than Miguel.
One is an outfieldser and one is a first baseman. Thats like saying Alex rios should win the Cy Young because he has 5 less wild pitches than David Price.
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:38 PM 07-19-2010
Here's an interesting comparison

Alex Rios
305 AVG
15 HR
51 RBI
356 OBP

Nick Swisher
301 AVG
16 HR
53 RBI
378 OBP

No one thinks Nick Swisher should be MVP
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 05:56 PM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
One is an outfieldser and one is a first baseman. Thats like saying Alex rios should win the Cy Young because he has 5 less wild pitches than David Price.
Not at all. We are talking Al Mvp here. That makes every position player eligible right? I'm just comparing two position players.
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:41 PM 07-19-2010
Not at all. We are talking Al Mvp here. That makes every position player eligible right? I'm just comparing two position players.
You are right, not a fair comparison. However comparing the fielding stats of an infielder with an outfielder is just as unfair.
Rios is having a great year, as is swisher. Just think in this supposed year of the pitcher Cabrera is having a Monster year. Seasons only half over, and there is still plenty of time for him to get drunk, punch his wife and help his team miss the playoffs again, but at the half way mark Cabrera is the man.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:48 PM 07-19-2010
You are right, not a fair comparison. However comparing the fielding stats of an infielder with an outfielder is just as unfair.
Rios is having a great year, as is swisher. Just think in this supposed year of the pitcher Cabrera is having a Monster year. Seasons only half over, and there is still plenty of time for him to get drunk, punch his wife and help his team miss the playoffs again, but at the half way mark Cabrera is the man.
Cabrera hit his wife? :-):-) I hope thats a joke.
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:57 PM 07-19-2010
It's on the internet so it must be true!:-)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ce.html?cat=14
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:12 PM 07-19-2010
It's on the internet so it must be true!:-)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ce.html?cat=14

wow. :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 08:22 PM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Mine

MVP
A.L. Josh Hamilton TEX
N.L. Joey Votto CIN

Cy Young
A.L. David Price TB
N.L. Ubaldo Jiminez COL

Rookie of the Year
A.L. Brennen Boesch DET
N.L. Jason Heyward ATL
Finally we agree on something! :-)

I think Ubaldo is going to run away with the NL Cy Young, Price has a good shot but you can't count out Lee or King Felix.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up