Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Kindle or Nook?
BeerAdvocate 03:55 PM 07-15-2010
I would like to purchase an Amazon Kindle or a B&N Nook, but I am having a hard time deciding which will work better for me.

-I like the idea of downloading ebooks from my public Library on the Nook
-I like the full touch screen on the Nook
-I like that the Nook supports Android
-I like that the Kindle is with a huge online retailer like Amazon and not a B&M like B&N

Anyone with any experience with these two have any input???
[Reply]
Mindflux 04:00 PM 07-15-2010
Nook hands down.

Nook reads ePub format. This is an open standard format and can be read on nearly everything. There are many hundreds of thousands more books in ePub than AWZ(amazon's proprietary format). (as you mentioned your public library may even support eBooks)

Nook can be bought at Barnes and Noble and Best buy now. Amazon is still the only place for the Kindle.

Nook runs Android as you've mentioned.

Nook can download 'free' books in B&N stores as well as coupons for free goodies at their 'cafe' locations inside of B&N stores.

Nook can read PDF format NATIVELY. Last I checked the Kindle required you to 'email' the PDF to your Amazon account in which the servers would process it (for a fee) and allow you to read it on your Kindle.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 04:15 PM 07-15-2010
my sister just bought a nook this afternoon. Ill see how she likes it after giving her some time to mess with it.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 05:37 PM 07-15-2010
Originally Posted by Mindflux:
Nook hands down.

Nook reads ePub format. This is an open standard format and can be read on nearly everything. There are many hundreds of thousands more books in ePub than AWZ(amazon's proprietary format). (as you mentioned your public library may even support eBooks)

Nook can be bought at Barnes and Noble and Best buy now. Amazon is still the only place for the Kindle.

Nook runs Android as you've mentioned.

Nook can download 'free' books in B&N stores as well as coupons for free goodies at their 'cafe' locations inside of B&N stores.

Nook can read PDF format NATIVELY. Last I checked the Kindle required you to 'email' the PDF to your Amazon account in which the servers would process it (for a fee) and allow you to read it on your Kindle.
Great points!
I also forgot to mention that I like that the Nook has a touch screen at the bottom and not the keyboard.
[Reply]
Mindflux 05:54 PM 07-15-2010
Forgot to say I got my wife a nook on launch day :-) she loves it!!
[Reply]
Samsquanch 06:39 PM 07-15-2010
I know this wasn't an option and is a bit pricier but I like the iPad. ePub format, a serious multi-tasker (it replaces a laptop for 95% of what I do on a computer), and the things are just fun. You can also load the Kindle app and the Nook app on the iPad for free. I love it.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:14 PM 07-15-2010
My wife loved her Kindle...now she has an Ipad.
[Reply]
Lautréamont 08:10 AM 07-16-2010
On the other hand:

I've had a Sony ereader for over 3 years. The new models have touch screens, but this is not necessarily the way to go since the extra layers of the touch screen add glare to the e-ink display. The IPAD does not use e-ink technology.

Sony now supports epub. Build quality and functionality is Sony. I am not a Sony fanboy but in this case I have been pleased. I use publicly available tools to convert other formats to epub and it works well. The drawback of Sony, if you don't love your computer, is that there is no wifi or 3g wireless. You download ebooks through your computer (Sony book store, library, open source, not so open source...) and sync.
[Reply]
ashtonlady 08:16 AM 07-16-2010
The Reason I got a Kindle is that it is not hard on my eyes. I get enought back lit screans during the day at work.
You can also down load to Android now. My computer is my computer. My Kindle is my books.
[Reply]
Mindflux 09:21 AM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by Lautréamont:
On the other hand:

Sony now supports epub. Build quality and functionality is Sony. I am not a Sony fanboy but in this case I have been pleased. I use publicly available tools to convert other formats to epub and it works well. The drawback of Sony, if you don't love your computer, is that there is no wifi or 3g wireless. You download ebooks through your computer (Sony book store, library, open source, not so open source...) and sync.

Yep, the drawback of the Sony is no wifi or 3g. For the same price you can get a device that has one (or both). Sony needs to remedy that to even compete.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:39 AM 07-16-2010
The big advantage of the Kindle over the touch-screen readers and the iPad in particular is the glare issues you have when you are outside.

You can read the Kindle anywhere. No so with the others. So far I have not had any issues with Amazon, PDFs, ePub, etc. Any books that I have wanted that have not been available on the Kindle are not available on any of the other readers either...
[Reply]
Mindflux 10:53 AM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
The big advantage of the Kindle over the touch-screen readers and the iPad in particular is the glare issues you have when you are outside.

You can read the Kindle anywhere. No so with the others. So far I have not had any issues with Amazon, PDFs, ePub, etc. Any books that I have wanted that have not been available on the Kindle are not available on any of the other readers either...

Nook has the same e-Ink anti-glare screen as the Kindle. The bottom touch part is reflective though.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 12:07 PM 07-16-2010
I picked up the Nook today on my lunch hour. Thanks to all for the recommendation!
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 02:26 PM 07-16-2010
nook ftw
[Reply]
Mindflux 02:27 PM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
I picked up the Nook today on my lunch hour. Thanks to all for the recommendation!
:-) Enjoy! Post back when you've used it a good bit with your opinion.
[Reply]
paris1129 05:00 PM 08-05-2010
I just picked up a nook this week. So far it is AWESOME!
[Reply]
massphatness 05:02 PM 08-05-2010
Been using the nook for a couple months now. Enjoy the hell out of it and am reading way may than I used to.

Plus my teeth are whiter.
[Reply]
JDTexan 05:07 PM 08-05-2010
It is hard to beat the Ipad.
[Reply]
JE3146 08:05 PM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by JDTexan:
It is hard to beat the Ipad.

139/149$ vs 499$

Hard to beat. :-)

As for the kindle vs nook. I've played with both in stores. Honestly I say just pick whichever you like starring at the best as they both seem fairly similar.
[Reply]
ashtonlady 09:24 PM 08-05-2010
It is easy to beat an iPad. They are back lit and hard on the eyes. Kindles are not back lit.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up