Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Yogurt
Volt 07:55 PM 07-08-2010
Ok, I can't believe people actually eat bacterial fermentation of milk - more commonaly called yogurt. The Doc says I have to eat a bunch of this crap. The Dannon I had today was not ment for human consumption. Anyone know of a brand that hides the taste any better?
[Reply]
DPD6030 07:57 PM 07-08-2010
Plain or flavored?

Yoplait is good IMO. Sometimes I buy the plain and fresh fruit and granola and mix it up.
[Reply]
bscottskangum 08:02 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
Sometimes I buy the plain and fresh fruit and granola and mix it up.
:-)

Granola makes yogurt palatable.
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 08:15 PM 07-08-2010
I eat strawberry and banana Yoplait quite often, I like it. The plain stuff with vanilla granola from the local health food store is good too.
[Reply]
T.G 08:20 PM 07-08-2010
Generally, I tend to avoid the "big brands" since I don't really care for the way they taste.

I also don't really care much for fruit flavored yougurt. I'd rather have plain yougurt and fresh fruit.

-Pavel's low fat Russian Plain yougurt is a great plain yougurt, tangy, creamy, full of body.
-Continenal low fat plain used to be good, but I haven't had it in years.
-Crystal Dairy brand non-fat plain is also very good, but lacks the body of Pavel's. Not sure if you'll be able to find it outside of California though.
-Alta-Dena dairy makes excellent products.
-Voskos, which is a newer brand/line of greek styled yougurts, is suprisingly good in the non-fat. Their regular yogurt is scandalously rich, too rich in fact. It's like it was made with creamtop milk and it's hard to finish a cup of it.

If you're into fruit yogurt, I would say check out Cascade if you can find it. They don't use refined sugars, nor do they use artificial sweetners, instead, they use fruit juice concentrate as a sweetening agent. I'm not really into fruit yogurt, but their stuff is good.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:49 PM 07-08-2010
Activa is ok...plus it's good for you!! :-)
[Reply]
Volt 09:04 PM 07-08-2010
I'll try a few of those out. The more the flavor the less of the yogurt I have to taste.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:10 PM 07-08-2010
I like Stoneyfield Organic Blueberry yogurt. No artificial crap but does have some sugars in it. Like the others, I mix some granola in. Makes it more filling to me than just the yogurt alone.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 09:17 PM 07-08-2010
You can get the good bacteria in other places than yogurt. I know there are pro biotic pills in my local natural food store .. you might tolerate a pill better than yogurt. I happen to love yogurt ... but I'm kinda strange to begin with so ....
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 09:23 PM 07-08-2010
Yes. After trying a bunch, I finally found one that didn't taste like caulk. (don't ask.)

Stonyfield Farms "cream top".

Yeah, it's the extra-fatass version. But it's got actual real live flavor.

I hate to say it but I actually go out of my way to eat it now.

Give it a shot.
[Reply]
RGD. 09:25 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by Volt:
. . . The Doc says I have to eat a bunch of this crap. . . .
No you don't. I'm guessing the reason is that you need to rebuild the bacteria in your digestive system. My doctor told me the same thing after I was on antibiotics that pretty much destroyed everything.

I told him flatly that I was not going to eat rotted milk - period. No problem he said, just pick up some "Pro-Biotics Acidophilus" at the drug store. He had me take two in the morning and two in the evening.

Check on that and forget about that nasty crap.

Ron

Sean posted before me - "Pro-Biotics Acidophilus" - take as I posted until things come out normal - :-)
[Reply]
markem 09:30 PM 07-08-2010
Everyone love Yogurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvmZ9SPcTzU
[Reply]
icehog3 09:48 PM 07-08-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIr6v5LYPdc
[Reply]
kzm007 10:03 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint:
Yes. After trying a bunch, I finally found one that didn't taste like caulk. (don't ask.)
Oh, but now I must :-)!
[Reply]
Volt 03:14 AM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
You can get the good bacteria in other places than yogurt. I know there are pro biotic pills in my local natural food store .. you might tolerate a pill better than yogurt. I happen to love yogurt ... but I'm kinda strange to begin with so ....

Yep, I have the pills as well. She wants a lot of bacteria in me..... I told her I would dble up on the pills but it was a no go.

RGD. - Yep, I'm hitting some pretty powerful antibiotics. The first round the pills were fine, this round she wants more in me. I'll try the Stonyfield Farms next. It aint like I'm gonna eat this **** more than I have to anyway, the calories don't matter. Even the trash stinks when I open it now. I may need to get a biohazard for the waste packaging each night.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 04:56 AM 07-09-2010
As a major fan of cheese and a hater of yogurt I have to ask ..... can you get the needed bacteria from cheese? If so you could increase your intake of the good stuff, big chunks of blue-veined cheeses, some creamy brie or camembert, etc.
[Reply]
skullnrose 05:45 AM 07-09-2010
Try Choboni 2% doesn't come in to many varieties but the pineapple is the only yogurt I could stomach alone and I tried them all.

http://www.chobani.com/products/c/lowfat
[Reply]
timj219 06:12 AM 07-09-2010
My wife and I eat Stonyfield plain mixed with honey or fruit. Nuts or sunflower seeds are good too. Or crumbled rice cakes. I love the stuff.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 06:49 AM 07-09-2010
Chobani or Fage are both very good, and worlds better than that dannon crap. I generally eat the 0% plain, with some granola or grape nuts and strawberries or blueberries. Sometimes I get crazy and put a little honey in too.

The other thing I would check out is goat's milk. I've gotten it at the natural food store in the past, and it is sold with live cultures in it, similar to what is in yogurt. Bit pricey, but tastes good.
[Reply]
T.G 07:23 AM 07-09-2010
Originally Posted by TheTraveler:
As a major fan of cheese and a hater of yogurt I have to ask ..... can you get the needed bacteria from cheese? If so you could increase your intake of the good stuff, big chunks of blue-veined cheeses, some creamy brie or camembert, etc.
No. Yogurt is yogurt because of lactobacillus, a bacteria. Cheese is fresh milk curdled with an acid, then for the ripened cheeses (blue, brie, camerbert, etc) it is exposed to mold spores which are then allowed to colonize and grow.

Not sure where yogurt cheeses fit into the picture though.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up