Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>LCD vs. LED
Blueface 09:07 AM 05-14-2010
My 32" Samsung LCD in my bedroom is taking a fit.
Some shadow like lines/markings are showing up on my picture that appear to be permanently burned in.
At times it is becoming annoying so I have been looking around to replace it and just go bigger to a 40".

I recently saw the LED version of mine and the image is unreal as compared to an LCD. Not to mention the TV is supposed to be much more energy efficient and is practically just slightly thicker than paper.

I am a member of Consumer Reports and searched but can't find too many LED models and can't find the Samsung 40" I am looking at.

Anyone know if aside from a much better picture, if LED is more reliable? I can't phantom buying another TV for over $1,000, to see the price later drop by 2/3's, to then have it break down. I guess that is what modern technology is all about.
[Reply]
MortonMilo 09:12 AM 05-14-2010
I've currently got the Samsung 46" un46b7100. The picture is incredible. Takes some adjustments to the picture settings at first to make it look good. As mine was an edge-lit LED model, some dark scenes would tend to be very hard to see. Aside from that problem at the beginning, I highly recommend Samsung tv's. Their LED-LCD sets are second to none.
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:16 AM 05-14-2010
I don't think a 32" LED should be costing you over $1k since Fry's has a Samsung 120mhz 55" LED for $1500. Whatever you decide on...LED/LCD 60mhz/120mhz 42"+/- just don't rush on the purchase. Technology changes so rapidly that prices fall.
[Reply]
scoop 09:22 AM 05-14-2010
I was looking at TV's last week at Best Buy and the LED's are sweet. I purchased a Samsung 46" LCD 6 months ago and wish I would have waited and bought a LED. Still happy though the HD picture is incredible.
[Reply]
OHMatt 09:24 AM 05-14-2010
Calling these TVs "LED" is kind of inaccurate, they are actually LED-backlight LCD televisions. They both use liquid crystal (LCD) screen. What varies is how the screen is back-light; most LCDs use Cold Cathode Florescent Light Bars but "LED TVs" use arrays of LEDs around the perimeter. Manufacturers can produce better blacks on LCD TVs because a few LEDs can be fired instead of powering up a whole light bar.

There are also two types of LED Backlighting: Edge or RGB Dynamic. Each has benefits and drawbacks. The model you are looking at, since you mentioned it is paper-thin is probably Edge light.

LEDs have a longer life span than Fluorescent bulbs, and if an individual LED fails, you are likely not to even notice it; however the control circuitry for LED arrays will surely be more complicated than the bulb - I say reliability is probably a crap shoot between them..

Originally Posted by Blueface:
My 32" Samsung LCD in my bedroom is taking a fit.
Some shadow like lines/markings are showing up on my picture that appear to be permanently burned in.
At times it is becoming annoying so I have been looking around to replace it and just go bigger to a 40".

I recently saw the LED version of mine and the image is unreal as compared to an LCD. Not to mention the TV is supposed to be much more energy efficient and is practically just slightly thicker than paper.

I am a member of Consumer Reports and searched but can't find too many LED models and can't find the Samsung 40" I am looking at.

Anyone know if aside from a much better picture, if LED is more reliable? I can't phantom buying another TV for over $1,000, to see the price later drop by 2/3's, to then have it break down. I guess that is what modern technology is all about.

[Reply]
skullnrose 09:32 AM 05-14-2010
I just recently bought a Sony KDL 46EX701 Edge lit led at costco and couldn't be more happy with it. The costco model of this TV comes with the wireless dongle so you can stream Netflix or Amazon on demand ect.. If you buy the TV at Bestbuy you will have to buy the dongle separately ($100 and backorderd) Costco includes a 3 year warranty and If you use Amex you extended it to 4 Years. I have almost always bought Samsung TV's but to me the Sony just had a better picture.

For me this was a Bedroom TV so I wasn't going to be super critical with every aspect of the TV. An edge lit LED will give you some " Flash lighting" do to having the LED's located on the edge. This will be most notable while viewing a pure black screen but I haven't noticed it yet during normal viewing. If you think the Flash lighting effect will bother you look in to a Backlit LED but be prepared to pay a premium.

If I can help in any way feel free to drop me a PM.
[Reply]
colinb913 09:37 AM 05-14-2010
have the 55" samsung led 120 hertz in my basement and I love it. But I cant play xbox on it.. it just feels weird.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:38 AM 05-14-2010
Originally Posted by colinb913:
have the 55" samsung led 120 hertz in my basement and I love it. But I cant play xbox on it.. it just feels weird.
Posted via Mobile Device
that's because you didn't change the setting on the 120mhz to game settings reducing lag.
[Reply]
skullnrose 09:40 AM 05-14-2010
Posted via Mobile Device
Does it just feel weird due to the size or are you having some other issue?

Mugen910 beat me to it. Usually it has to do with the motion flow settings.
[Reply]
colinb913 09:50 AM 05-14-2010
It is picture lag. Do I change settings on the xbox or TV? The tv seems to change to 120 when watching blu-ray,
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:59 AM 05-14-2010
As I understand it, one of he other advantages to the LED sets is that they produce much less heat. Always a factor in terms of wear-and-tear, etc.
[Reply]
skullnrose 10:06 AM 05-14-2010
It is picture lag. Do I change settings on the xbox or TV? The tv seems to change to 120 when watching blu-ray,
Posted via Mobile Device
There should be an option to turn the motion settings off in the TV's menu. Some TV's have a Game mode setting depending on the TV.

Try going over to the AVS Forum and search for your TV Model these people rip into everything TV like we rip into everything cigar.
[Reply]
poker 10:11 AM 05-14-2010
I have a Samsung LN55B650 Touch of Color 55" LCD and am quite happy with it. Maybe when the LED technology becomes old news I'll spring for one, but any new technology is expensive technology.
[Reply]
jjirons69 11:32 AM 05-14-2010
Carlos - A big plasma fan here, so all I can do is send some info your way. Trying doing some research before you buy. You can start here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/...OCleftColumn.0

Also, google the model numbers of your interests and see how they perform.
[Reply]
markem 11:39 AM 05-14-2010
I just bought a 55" LED from Samsung that rocks. In my opinion, way better than LED and more flexible with regard to location and viewing options as well. This is the one we bought

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...=1218176210288
[Reply]
shilala 11:46 AM 05-14-2010
Carlos, I'm like Jamie. I have two plasmas and a DLP.
I've looked at LED laptop displays, and the tv's at the store. I don't get it.
I wouldn't own an lcd tv, I think they suck. The picture is choppy, the viewing angle is poor, they just plain suck from start to finish, at least in my world.
If I were to buy a new tv right now, it'd be plasma if I could find one.
Maybe once the LED's come down in price and they get the bugs worked out, I'd jump. I wouldn't own another DLP, even though I love mine. It's broken more often than not, and didn't work for an entire year when I got it. They finally sent a guy from 200 miles away to fix it.
I do think LED is where it's all going to stop, and we'll settle in with that technology, if only for the energy savings. I'm going to look at them a little closer now and see what's to like. I suppose I should get up to speed. :-)
Good luck, however you decide, brother!!! :-)
[Reply]
aich75013 11:59 AM 05-14-2010
I have a Plasma and a DLP. Both Samsung.
We bought the DLP due to the price for that size. 61" would have cost 4x a plasma when we bought it almost 4 years ago. No issues and still gonig on the original bulb.
I love the colors on the plasma.
I did not like the LCDs when I was shopping and the LEDs had not come out yet, so I have not researched them at all.
[Reply]
captain53 12:49 PM 05-14-2010
Samsung LED is the best thing on the market right now (without spending a whole lot more) and far far superior to the other LED's produced. Costco has had some Samsung LED's at good prices recently but you never know what they will have at any given time.

LED has a tremendously longer life than Plasma or DLP.
[Reply]
captain53 12:51 PM 05-14-2010
Originally Posted by aich75013:
I have a Plasma and a DLP. Both Samsung.
We bought the DLP due to the price for that size. 61" would have cost 4x a plasma when we bought it almost 4 years ago. No issues and still gonig on the original bulb.
I love the colors on the plasma.
I did not like the LCDs when I was shopping and the LEDs had not come out yet, so I have not researched them at all.
I have a 4 year old Samsung 61" and replaced the $150 bulb last year and now the color wheel went out (a common failure) and it is ovder $500 for the repair so it is going to the $hit Can. Hello LED!
[Reply]
jjirons69 03:23 PM 05-14-2010
Carlos, yet another site to keep your eye on.

http://slickdeals.net/
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up