Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Curse cigar abstinence! CURSE IT!
Azaelius 12:38 PM 05-05-2010
Okay so here's the story:

Last week on Thursday I had a nice time hanging out with my GF and my friend Steven. We had planned the day around watching a movie, playing chess/video games, and him and I each trying one of my Gurkha cigars that came in a sampler I got with my Herf-a-Dor from CI.

Out of the five, the two we smoked were the Symphony Robusto for him and the Legend Robusto for me. The darker wrapper was quite appealing as well as the aroma. So, we lit up and played chess while sipping cherry pepsi. Not the best companion drink, but the only decent choice we had.

Anyway, all was well for around 45 minutes to an hour. He was enjoying his cigar perfectly well, as was I.... I thought. A little past the 2/3 mark, I started feeling a bit dizzy. I had just taken off my glasses, so I thought that might have been it (they do that) so I just kept puffing. Finally, a good twenty minutes after he had finished his Symphony, I finished my Legend.

He was feeling great! He also weighs 40 lbs. more than I do. I felt like death had punched me in the gut. Only then did I realize I hadn't eaten anything before smoking and I instantly regretted it.

So, long story long, I took in some sugar, some water, and I laid down to rest near my very worried GF.

However.... while resting, I said something along the lines of "I am not smoking anything for the next week and a half" and my GF said "you promise?" and apparently, I said yes.

So now I have 3 perfectly good (?) Gurkha cigars waiting for me to smoke for the last week, CALLING TO ME, that I can't smoke at all until this Sunday when we come home.

I guess I could probably convince her to let me start again... it has been a whole week so far, but I kinda want to hold to it... as a test of will and commitment and such. Also, impressing the lady is always a good thing.

But man, I REALLY want to have a cigar! and it doesn't help that I just watched Hellboy 1 and 2 last night. Hellboy smokes a LOT of cigars. A LOT. As does another character.

COMPLETELY UNRELATED SIDENOTE: Ron Perlman, the actor portraying the titular character in both Hellboy 1 and 2, is a heavy cigar smoker, his current favorite being the Joya de Nicaragua Antaņo 1970. Not sure what size.

ANNNNYYYWAAAY - now that my story is told, I have this question: have any of you ever sworn off cigar or pipe smoking at the request of a loved one or for any reason at all? If so, what were your experiences? :-)
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 12:43 PM 05-05-2010
The only compromise I've made is to not smoke inside...so I was forced to buy some nice patio furniture, a patio heater, and a grill to "get by". :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 12:43 PM 05-05-2010
So you swore off smoking for 10 days?....sounds to me like it's time to stock up! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:47 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
So you swore off smoking for 10 days?....sounds to me like it's time to stock up! :-)
:-) I'm with Joel and eat something before smoking your sticks "rookie". :-) :-)
[Reply]
Bax 12:52 PM 05-05-2010
Perfectly good Gurkhas? :-)

Just kidding!
[Reply]
Azaelius 12:54 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
:-) I'm with Joel and eat something before smoking your sticks "rookie". :-) :-)
I WOULD stock up... but I have no suitable place for cigars atm... I have a small travel humidor and ziplock bags. I'll be buying a new humi (at least 100 ct) and a good supply of cigars when I get to AZ this weekend.

And yeah, I learned my lesson. I'll most likely never forget.

Also, I'm only a cigar rookie, Mister kelmac07! :-) Been a pipe smoker for a fairly good amount of time. And i only smoke blends heavy in latakia, thus, I was falsely confident in my ability.

I just wasn't prepared for the CIGAR POWER levels of nicotine. Waaaaaay more than a pipe could ever supply, no matter what's in it. :-)
[Reply]
Azaelius 12:57 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by Bax:
Perfectly good Gurkhas? :-)

Just kidding!
Oh, don't worry. I know the general consensus on Gurkhas. :-) That part of the post was supposed to be SLIGHTLY sarcastic.

The stick I had was okay-ish, but really very spicy with little flavor. Near the end it got much better, but I think I may have been partially delirious from too much nicotine at that point.

I won't be paying for Gurkhas again in the near future. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 12:58 PM 05-05-2010
Save yourself some hassle. Skip the desktop, and just get a cooler. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Azaelius 01:05 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Save yourself some hassle. Skip the desktop, and just get a cooler. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Ahahaha... unfortunately, though I love cigars, I love my GF more, and she would KILL me for spending so much. Perhaps in the future, but for now, I will get my desktop. I don't need THAT many cigars... do I?

Also, going to school and only working part-time = smaller tobacco/tobacco accessories supply, unfortunately. :-)

Though, your post has convinced me to go with a bigger size... perhaps a 150 or 200 ct... :-)
[Reply]
Huskysibe 01:07 PM 05-05-2010
I say you just man up and light a cigar when you want to! :-) How else are you gonna train her to be a compliant wife when you are married LOL:-)
[Reply]
Azaelius 01:12 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by Huskysibe:
I say you just man up and light a cigar when you want to! :-) How else are you gonna train her to be a compliant wife when you are married LOL:-)
Well, at this point, it's not about me lighting up when I want, it's about holding to a promise I made. Trust me, when Sunday rolls around, I'll be lighting up when I like, so long as I don't subject her to the smoke, which she can't be around for too long (very sensitive to smells and smoke).

Lol train your wife... that's rich. I think you might be in denial, good sir! I think it's the other way 'round. :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 01:14 PM 05-05-2010
Buy one of these $20 coolers and spend the difference on cigars. :-) More capacity...trust us, you'll need it. :-)

PS - I'd go bigger. :-)
[Reply]
Azaelius 01:15 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
Buy one of these $20 coolers and spend the difference on cigars. :-) Way more capacity...trust us, you'll need it. :-)
Awwww.... but I LIKE the pretty humidors! I'm a sucker for art. I'll get a cooler for overflow. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 01:22 PM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by Azaelius:
I have a small travel humidor and ziplock bags.
Well there you go! Didn't you know that ziplocked cigars can turn poisonous within days? I thought
everybody knew that. It's in the stickies!

I am kidding. What happens some of the time when people experience this is that they have had the
cigar in their mouth alot of the time, trying to play chess two-handed as it were. The tobacco
juice is swallowed in nearly undetectable amounts and over an hour you ingest enough to make
you sick. Some cigars are also just bombers in the nicotine department. Keep the cigar in your
hand except to puff and you should have this happen alot less. It could easily be something else,
but this happens alot.
[Reply]
DropTheE 01:22 PM 05-05-2010
I don't need THAT many cigars... do I?
THAT many is such an open term in cigarland. Some look into my cabinet and ask why would you keep that many cigars around.
I look at my cabinet and say, I really don't have that many...:-)

Look, don't EVER put yourself in the red because of a cigar...it is a hobby that shouldn't cause you to stress over your purchases or be worried in any way. If a 100 ct. works for you, then by all means go for it. I bought my 150 count and was able to keep that under control for about 8 months. After a while, you find that is is sometimes the better buy for boxes. If you really don't smoke that much and a B&M is right around the corner with boxes of your smokes, then its cool. It is all in the eye of the beholder when it comes to what you want to commit to.

My cabinet is getting filled and my 150 holds all my singles that spill over from the cab.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 01:23 PM 05-05-2010
Ahahaha... unfortunately, though I love cigars, I love my GF more, and she would KILL me for spending so much. Perhaps in the future, but for now, I will get my desktop. I don't need THAT many cigars... do I?

Also, going to school and only working part-time = smaller tobacco/tobacco accessories supply, unfortunately. :-)

Though, your post has convinced me to go with a bigger size... perhaps a 150 or 200 ct... :-)
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=890040

This is what I'm using...great capacity for short money. That will at least tide you over until you inevitably get the cooler. :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 01:27 PM 05-05-2010
I quit cigarettes 13 years ago at the 'request' of my then-GF, now-Wife. She tolerates Cigars, but not in the house.

:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 01:33 PM 05-05-2010
I guess I just have it good. It was my GF that introduced me to cigars. She has a friend that owns a B&M. So she has no room to complain about it. Actually she smokes an occasional CAO flavored Stick.
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:36 PM 05-05-2010
And yeah, I learned my lesson. I'll most likely never forget.

Also, I'm only a cigar rookie, Mister kelmac07! :-) Been a pipe smoker for a fairly good amount of time. And i only smoke blends heavy in latakia, thus, I was falsely confident in my ability.

I just wasn't prepared for the CIGAR POWER levels of nicotine. Waaaaaay more than a pipe could ever supply, no matter what's in it. :-)
Love it when the nic gets ya!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 01:43 PM 05-05-2010

Desktops are nice as a conversation piece. Coolers are much less hassle, and you should be able to pick up a cooler at Wally World for well under $50 that will comfortably hold a few hundred cigars. You may not *need* those cigars right now, but more storage space gives you room to bury that new box of smokes for a few months, and let them dry out a bit. It's personal preference of course, but I find I enjoy my sticks much more with at least a month of rest.
If you keep an eye out for samplers, sales, and score on the auction sites, you can build up a nice collection without going broke. And check out the Cheap Smokes Thread. Expensive is not always good, and cheap is not always bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up