Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Has the economy changed your habits?
Scottw 10:02 PM 10-31-2008
Are you smoking/drinking less or more?
Eating out or eating in?
Going on vacations or staying home for Staycations?

My family and I try to cut costs whenever and wherever we can. Fortunatley, I am in a business that does good in good times and great in bad times.But we are a single income household with two kids and my wife attends Harvard University which is not exactly the cheapest place to learn. We still are budget - minded (wait till she sees the amount of smokes I bought this month) but we still like to enjoy an occasional meal out or a weekend away. What affects has the economic situation had on you?
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 09:50 AM 11-01-2008
I bought a bigger truck, I drive twice as much. We eat out more often, I smoke more expensive cigars, drink more expensive bourbon. The wife says I'm a jackass but the truth is business is just thriving right now. :-)
[Reply]
icantbejon 09:53 AM 11-01-2008
It will affect me in about 2 months. We are moving and losing my wife's income. So we'll be down to 1 income and it will have a pretty serious change in lifestyle. In addition, we're trying to sell our GA house and it's not moving at all. Very aggravating.
[Reply]
Rockestone 10:22 AM 11-01-2008
Almost impossible to sell a house right now.

Our lifestyle hasn't changed at all. Job security is pretty good both on my side and the wife's. We are blessed.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 10:37 AM 11-01-2008
I went from having decent job security to very little. The economy has collapsed the company I work for. They announced company-wide layoffs. At the same time, my wife is giving up her job to stay at home with our newborn baby.

Needless to say, we're on expense lock down. No dinners, movies, gifts, and sadly, cigars. :-)
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 10:42 AM 11-01-2008
The crappy economy has effected me so far. As a recent college grad trying to find a job is proving difficult. Finding a job as a history major is bad enough but when nobody has any money to hire its really difficult. For the mean time I had take a job at a sporting goods store and try and save as much money as possible while living with my parents. It pretty much sucks
[Reply]
webjunkie 11:50 AM 11-01-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Are you smoking/drinking less or more?
What is this more you speak of?

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
The crappy economy has effected me so far. As a recent college grad trying to find a job is proving difficult. Finding a job as a history major is bad enough but when nobody has any money to hire its really difficult. For the mean time I had take a job at a sporting goods store and try and save as much money as possible while living with my parents. It pretty much sucks
Man, I feel your pain. It's hard to get a job with a history degree in a good economy. Hang in there and keep looking.
[Reply]
Tazziedevil 05:51 PM 11-01-2008
I walk much more often. Gas here is over $6.50/gallon(!), so....I have to :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:22 PM 11-01-2008
Wife is back out of work again (fulltime anyways). She is substitute teaching part time, but doesn't pay to great. Not making many purchases right now. Too close to Christmas. After Christmas shopping is done, if we have any extras, then I'll be back to purchasing smokes for myself again.
[Reply]
skyhigh340 09:44 PM 11-01-2008
I now drive the speed limit on the expressway and started getting 50 more miles to the tankful!
I also started reloading my own ammunition!
[Reply]
Shervin 10:05 PM 11-01-2008
Originally Posted by AriesOpusX:
I bought a bigger truck, I drive twice as much. We eat out more often, I smoke more expensive cigars, drink more expensive bourbon. The wife says I'm a jackass but the truth is business is just thriving right now. :-)
Thats good to hear...care to share spread the butter this way :-):-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:25 PM 11-01-2008
Eating out less...:-)
Becoming snobby and buying better quality sticks...:-)
Bombing less....:-)
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 11:55 PM 11-01-2008
No, if anything finance people like myself are doing better.

People don't worry about money until they don't have any it seems.

Hoping to buy a house *more likely a condo* in a year. :-)
[Reply]
TripleF 06:17 AM 11-02-2008
Had to get a part time job.
Really, really looking for deals on cigars.
Bombing a whole lot less, unfortunately.
[Reply]
Costa 07:34 AM 11-02-2008
Locking down expenses as well. Job seems secure, but am in grad school, and if the job goes, so does my tuition reimbursement, so need to be smart.

Trying to put every last dime into the stock market at this point.

Vino is full, so I'm lucky there. It was the spaces that was causing me issues....lol.
[Reply]
AAlmeter 08:31 AM 11-02-2008
Originally Posted by tenbaseg:
I went from having decent job security to very little. The economy has collapsed the company I work for. They announced company-wide layoffs. At the same time, my wife is giving up her job to stay at home with our newborn baby.

Needless to say, we're on expense lock down. No dinners, movies, gifts, and sadly, cigars. :-)
Me too. Just had a "surprise" layoff Friday. I got canned along with at least 40 others. About 1/3 of the company gone.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:57 AM 11-02-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Bombing less....:-)
good, so I won't have to fear retaliation :-)

So far the economy hasn't changed for me personaly, so I didn't have to change my habits. We'll see what the future brings.
[Reply]
SonsofClubDeck 09:15 AM 11-02-2008
I'm still in college so I'm used to the living in the grind. I'm still doing everything about the same. However, I got gas in NC last night for 2.38. Southern by the grace of God I reckon.
[Reply]
Mark C 12:19 PM 11-02-2008
I'm doing fine. Not planning to sell or buy a house any time soon, gas prices are down, job is pretty secure (hoping for a promotion soon), retirement is 30 yrs away, no credit issues to worry about.
[Reply]
Linus 12:40 PM 11-02-2008
I have job security (AFAIK) but that said, we're still cutting back on unnecessary expenses. I still buy cigars but tend to buy them in singles rather than 5 packs or anything. I'm also cutting back on how many I buy.

We tend to make our own meals and splurge once a week with sushi. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up