Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>How To Snork / Retrohale
rgrecco 01:08 AM 03-31-2010
I have seen a few questions on Snorking or Retrohaling...

I found this video... I don't know if its anyone on this site or not but it was informitive...

Hope it Helps out someone else!!!

RON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMcDOSypco8
[Reply]
smokehouse 04:51 AM 03-31-2010
Nice video Ron.
I could not imagine enjoying a cigar without snorking/retrohaling.
For example take your favorite food in your mouth and chew and plug your nose, you can't taste nothin. Same concept for cigars.
[Reply]
shilala 04:53 AM 03-31-2010
Thanks Ron!!! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 05:02 AM 03-31-2010
Great Explanation! Thanks, Ron!:-)
[Reply]
homerjay19 10:39 AM 03-31-2010
Nice video, it has some good explanations on why and how to do it. Thanks!
[Reply]
Stinky 10:51 AM 03-31-2010
Excellent Video. Doc (from Stogie Fresh) did a great job on research & presentation.

Also view his page on You-Tube. Lots of fine cigar videos!
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:56 AM 03-31-2010
I think I am starting to finally figure out how to retrohale. This video didn't help, but my buddies kept giving me suggestions on how to.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:04 AM 03-31-2010
I'm still trying to master this. :-)
[Reply]
colinb913 11:06 AM 03-31-2010
I think I got it, but it burns?...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
GreekGodX 11:10 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I think I am starting to finally figure out how to retrohale. This video didn't help, but my buddies kept giving me suggestions on how to.
Dude! You don't get the true taste without retrohaling.
[Reply]
akumushi 11:16 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by colinb913:
Posted via Mobile Device
I find that I only need to retrohale a small amount of the smoke to get the aromas, too much and yes, it burns like hell. I think it varies from person to person just how much of the smoke to blow through your sinus.
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:21 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by colinb913:
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, it burns like a MF'er if you put too much through. I think right now I am putting 95% out through my mouth and 5% through my honker :-)
[Reply]
colinb913 11:24 AM 03-31-2010
im 95 nose 5 mouth... thats why it burns!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 11:39 AM 03-31-2010
Thanks for the video!! :-)

Originally Posted by akumushi:
I find that I only need to retrohale a small amount of the smoke to get the aromas, too much and yes, it burns like hell. I think it varies from person to person just how much of the smoke to blow through your sinus.
:-) I've found I have better control at the end of exhaling. I've almost brought myself to tears when I snorked at the beginning...I looked like a big crying dragon. :-)
[Reply]
smokehouse 11:48 AM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Yeah, it burns like a MF'er if you put too much through. I think right now I am putting 95% out through my mouth and 5% through my honker :-)
Im around the same maybe even around 90% mouth to 10% nose depending on the strength and it works for me.
[Reply]
bishjd123 11:51 AM 03-31-2010
I'm an ex-cigarette smoker so it's not something I had to learn. I'm about 70% mouth 30% nose, although it really depends on the cigar.
[Reply]
SmokingPoker 12:32 PM 03-31-2010
Nice vid and good idea for post.

I concur with the others here, if you're not doing it, you're cheating yourself and wasting some cash. I make concentrated effort on doing it at least once in each 1/3 of the cigar. I agree with akumushi on doing it with a nice little amount of smoke. Check the machismo at the door, no need for dragon puffing (although it looks pretty sweet). For me, it's akin to when sampling/tasting wine with the mouth swish and air draw across the palate. Only want to do it a couple of times to wake the senses up (plus doing it too much kills the experience and overloads the sample). I also try to concentrate on doing it after a liberal/hearty puff, release some of the initial smoke through the mouth, then close and retro the remainder. Little cooler smoke and I feel the aromas have then been fully oxygenated and opened up for full effect.

I also have seen some review vids. by some on the Internet and for me if they don't retro during the review...:-)
[Reply]
akumushi 12:41 PM 03-31-2010
Also, one thing I find myself forgetting to do when the nose exhale is really good on a cigar, is to swish the smoke a little and blow out with just my mouth on occasion in order to concentrate on the taste/mouthfeel. I find that alot of NCs fair better with this treatment, while CCs are richer in the nose.
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:52 PM 03-31-2010
Would you not get some of the aroma in your nose by just being around the smoke?
[Reply]
akumushi 12:56 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Would you not get some of the aroma in your nose by just being around the smoke?
A little, but not the same as when you snork. The sensation is actually pretty deep in your sinus because you're pushing smoke up the back of your throat and into your sinus (think shooting milk out your nose when you laugh while drinking). Because the smoke is less dilute than when you're sniffing it out of the air, and because it is hitting the sense receptors directly rather than going in through the nose first, you get a much more nuanced aroma when snorking.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up