Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>What's wrong with my humidor??
Chingo 10:31 AM 03-16-2010
Hi all, I'm having a problem with my humidor and I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what's wrong.

I bought a small desktop humidor from another BOTL on here a few months ago. It's small, but very nice and solid, not one of those cheap boxes. I noticed immediately that it wouldn't stay humid. Heartfelt beads, Boveda packs, sometimes both wouldn't raise the humidity. I think I had an 82% RH pack in there once and the highest it will read is 65% at most. I did the dollar bill check for leaks, recalibrated my digital hygro and still no luck.

Yesterday I decided to re-season it. Wiped it down, left a moist sponge and a new 72% pack inside. 18 hours later I took a peek inside and it's only reading 65%.

What's going on? Will continuing the seasoning process help at all? Or is something else wrong? Thanks.
[Reply]
NeverEnoughStick 10:41 AM 03-16-2010
Im no pro but I may be able to help. I've read that using a super fine sandpaper and running it around the inside of the humidor, blowing out all of the dust, and then reseasoning it may help. Im hoping those fellow BOTL that are woodworkers may be able to offer alternatives.

Hope this helps!
[Reply]
acarr 10:56 AM 03-16-2010
If could be the device that you are testing the humidity with.
[Reply]
borndead1 11:04 AM 03-16-2010
65% is fine. Don't sweat it, but if it's bugging you, you could try calibrating your hygrometer. Search "calibrate hygrometer".

:-)
[Reply]
Chingo 11:11 AM 03-16-2010
This is at 65% while seasoning though, with a soaking wet paper towel inside. Under normal conditions with my 72% beads it would barely read 60%.

I'm certain it's not the hygro has I've recalibrated it and it's reading fine now that I moved my sticks to a tupperdor.
[Reply]
jmsremax 11:16 AM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by Chingo:
This is at 65% while seasoning though, with a soaking wet paper towel inside. Under normal conditions with my 72% beads it would barely read 60%.

I'm certain it's not the hygro has I've recalibrated it and it's reading fine now that I moved my sticks to a tupperdor.
It appears the humi isn't properly sealed. Some people have simply put weather stripping on both the lid and the base and that was enough to fix the issue while others had to do much more work to get it to seal properly. Try weather stripping and see if that helps. If not you might have a big project on your hands.
[Reply]
T.G 11:28 AM 03-16-2010
Sounds like a job for...

{drumroll}

Blue masking tape. :-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 11:29 AM 03-16-2010
I used blue painter's tape on mine. It may or may not help. Is this humidor glass top? If not, try a flashlight test.
[Reply]
T.G 11:32 AM 03-16-2010
If it doesn't help, try green, pink or red tape!
[Reply]
Chingo 11:33 AM 03-16-2010
If it's a sealing issue, shouldn't it have not passed the dollar bill test?
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:34 AM 03-16-2010
In addition to the suggestions above you might try the Flashlight test (this will not work so well if your humi has any glass): put a lit flashlight in your humi, and go into a darkend room and see if you can see any light. If you can see light you have a leak and the light will give you an idea where the leak is so that you can fix it.

As has been suggested, puttling some weather stripping around the lid may help.

Finally, you don't mention this, but if you humidor has any glass then the seam where the glass meets the wood is likely the source of a leak. If this is the case, get some clear silicone sealer (caulk) and seal the seams around the glass. Shilala has posted a nice guide that explains how to do this right, your you can do it the easy way without removing the glass. Your choice.

Make sure to give your humidor plenty of time to air out after applying an sealant.

Good luck!
[Reply]
J0eybb 11:35 AM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by Chingo:
If it's a sealing issue, shouldn't it have not passed the dollar bill test?
There's your problem. You have to use a hundred dollar bill.
[Reply]
kenstogie 11:42 AM 03-16-2010
I used a large plastic bag just to stablize once and it worked like a charm. It could be that your Humi is not fully seasoned, it can take while, could be a crappy hydrometer, could be a bad seal could be....
[Reply]
Chingo 11:50 AM 03-16-2010
Could you elaborate and using a plastic bag to stabilize? I will try the flashlight test, but other than that, I've already checked the hygdro, the seal, etc. No clue what's left..
[Reply]
Noomis 11:59 AM 03-16-2010
I'd wait longer than 18 hrs. before checking the humidity levels. Sometimes it takes a few days (sometimes even a week) for the rh to stabilize while you're seasoning your humidor.
[Reply]
taltos 12:16 PM 03-16-2010
I would be interested where you live because here in the Boston area it takes me a great deal of effort to keep my humidors and coolers at optimum humidity. In addition before you use weather stripping or painter's tape, I would prefer to see you go to a craft store and grab a wheel of either sail maker's wax or quilter's bees wax and rub that on the upper and bottom surfaces where the top and bottom of your humidor meet until the surfaces feel tacky and they slightly adhere when you try to open your humidor.Think of the effort required to separate two pieces of paper attached by rubber cement. This is very good at sealing the humidor and does not deface it like painter's tape and weather stripping do. Any further questions, feel free to send me a pm. I will be out of town until Saturday but will respond then.:-)
[Reply]
neoflex 12:18 PM 03-16-2010
If the paper towel inside is still wet I'm guessing your hygro should still read higher than 65% unless there is a giant leak which I would think if it were that bad the dollar bill test would have been a big failure. Do you have another hygro to put in there along with the one your using now for a side by side comparison? Also is your hygro a digital model or analog? If it's not digital I would be willing to put the problem solely on the hygrometer and say the box is more than likely fine. I have had leaky boxes before but if I had a big source of moisture like a bowl of water or floral foam the humidity would still be sky high.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:24 PM 03-16-2010
Forget about what the hydrometer says.

How are the cigars?

Too many people get stuck on the hydrometer, don't let the tail wage the dog. If the cigars are good, that is all that matters and leave it at that. Hydrometers not always accurate and your humidor will be at its best once it's filled.

Don't bother with the seasoning and over humidity. Your cigars could get moldy and your just asking for beetles should there be a spike in heat.

A humidor does not need to be super tight, it needs to keep your cigars in nice smoking condition, that's it.
[Reply]
Subvet642 12:31 PM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
If it doesn't help, try green, pink or red tape!
Smart ass! :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 12:34 PM 03-16-2010
Sorry but gotta say that it is a hygrometer, not a hydrometer.

A hydrometer is a device used to directly determine the specific gravity, or density, of a liquid. This is often used in winemaking, maintaining aquariums, etc. A hygrometer is an instrument used to measure the moisture content of a gas, as in determining the relative humidity of air. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up