Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Movie from laptop to TV question
Blueface 06:55 PM 03-14-2010
Multi media Computer illiterate needs help.
How can I play a movie I rent from iTunes that is on my laptop onto my TV?
[Reply]
LooseCard 07:05 PM 03-14-2010
It depends on your equipment.
What kind of TV? DVD player?

Basically, you have to connect your PC to the TV and use the TV as your monitor.

Easiest if you have a d-sub, DVI or HDMI connector.
[Reply]
Starscream 07:05 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
It depends on your equipment.
What kind of TV? DVD player?

Basically, you have to connect your PC to the TV and use the TV as your monitor.

Easiest if you have a d-sub, DVI or HDMI connector.
:-)
[Reply]
Jbailey 07:25 PM 03-14-2010
If it's an older laptop it might have an S-video port.
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 07:26 PM 03-14-2010
I'll agree with everyone that's posted in the thread.

If you have a 'high definition' television, that's going to be your easiest option. Use the video out connection from your laptop (3 rows of five holes) and connect directly in the back of your high def TV using the same connector. The connection cable is typically colored blue for the 'non-technical' types.

This cable will not carry sound, however. You can pick up an adapter from radio shack that will convert your headphone jack to a red/white jack. You can then plug that into the audio input on the television. Alternatively, if your laptop speakers are good, you can just listen through them.

Bottom line, we'd need to know a bit more about the tv you plan to watch the movie on, as well as the laptop you're using, in order to get the easiest display.

If you're NOT using a high definition television, things become more difficult and expensive, just FYI.
[Reply]
Jbailey 07:29 PM 03-14-2010
Also plug computer speakers to the laptop if you don't feel like running into to town to pick up a L/R audio to mini jack.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:33 PM 03-14-2010
Thanks guys.

I have a MacBook that is about 2 years old.

I was going to use it on either of two HD TVs.
One is an older model, projection. The other is a flat panel Samsung.
They have every possible input. So many, heck if I will ever know what they are for.
[Reply]
jaymz 07:39 PM 03-14-2010
photos of the outputs on your laptop, or just the laptop model would probably help
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 07:40 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Thanks guys.

I have a MacBook that is about 2 years old.

I was going to use it on either of two HD TVs.
One is an older model, projection. The other is a flat panel Samsung.
They have every possible input. So many, heck if I will ever know what they are for.
The flat panel samsung will almost definitely have a 'monitor in' cable (the typical blue cable connection for most computer monitors). I'm a PC guy, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the 'monitor out' cable will be on your macbook.

If you have a desktop somewhere in the house, just 'steal' the blue monitor cable, and you'll have your video straightened out almost immediately. All you'll have to do is select the correct video port using your TV remote, and you're gold for video.

Sound will still be a challenge, but using JBailey's suggestion will work.

The best connection will always be HDMI, but I wonder if your macbook has that port (only recently have computer makers started putting HDMI ports on laptops)
[Reply]
Blueface 07:59 PM 03-14-2010
Pulled out the box.
Here is what mine has.
Mini-DVI port for DVI, VGA, Composite and S video
Optical digital audio input/audio line in
Optical digital audio output/headphone out
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 08:07 PM 03-14-2010
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/images/dvicon.gif

There's your different types of video output. The 'Blue Cable' is VGA. The other mini-DVI cables are a bit harder to come by, as the technology is not supported as much anymore (at least, that's my opinion)

Composite video is the yellow jack. Sounds like that may be your 'cheapest' connection.

SVideo is a better connection than composite.

VGA and up will provide a highest-quality connection, but my guess is that the Itunes videos that you're renting are going to be lower than high definition, anyways. Just something to think about before you blow a big wad on cables.

Also, none of the video outputs you have listed will carry audio. You're still going to need to figure out a way to get the audio out into the television.
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 08:13 PM 03-14-2010
One more thing...

Found this on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/PTC-Mini-DVI-A.../dp/B001H0REVK

First review on the page...

Originally Posted by :
Hook up your MAC to your TV/Flat screen, December 30, 2008
By C. Goldblatt "cadillaccory" (tempe, Az USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I'm going to keep this simple. For 20.00 you can hook up your late model MAC (MacBook in my case) to your flatscreen. You do not need to get mini-dvi to dvi to HDMI as most of the forums recommend. Get this and I personally got the 10ft HDMI cable and set up the television as a dual monitor setup. Very Cool. If you have surround sound I would recommend getting the Toslink to optical mini-adapter as it is super easy to hook up your mac to surround sound also. It actually sounds better than cable and DVD's in my opinion. BTW, this item is plug and play. I did not have to set up anything software wise.

[Reply]
hotreds 08:14 PM 03-14-2010
This is interesting. I was tempted to buy the MLB.Com baseball package IF I could get the sound and picture to my TV. I guess what y'all are saying is that one would need two different cables from the computer to the TV; one for video and one for sound? How would the TV know that the sound input was for the specific video input? Or would the sound input basically mute all the other sound from the TV(over ride it) so that to watch TV again you'd have to unplug the sound cable from the computer?
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 08:21 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by hotreds:
This is interesting. I was tempted to buy the MLB.Com baseball package IF I could get the sound and picture to my TV. I guess what y'all are saying is that one would need two different cables from the computer to the TV; one for video and one for sound? How would the TV know that the sound input was for the specific video input? Or would the sound input basically mute all the other sound from the TV(over ride it) so that to watch TV again you'd have to unplug the sound cable from the computer?
It really depends on the configuration of your television.

Most of the time, the TV will have a 'bank' of inputs, usually outlined by a white box. - Example http://k-12.pisd.edu/avsystem/staff/...om_Pelican.jpg

If, for example, your laptop used an S-Video output, there's usually a S-Video input on the back with a matched red and white audio in.

At the end of the day, you'll need to consult your TV's owner's manual for different configurations.

Alternatively, you can always revert back to JBailey's suggestion and invest in a decent set of computer speakers.

Matter o' fact, one of my High Definition TVs is attached to a set of 2.1 (two speakers, one subwoofer, thus the 2.1) computer speakers and it sounds great*

*disclamer, I'm no audiophile but I can tell the difference between CD and Cassette, for example...
[Reply]
RGD. 08:24 PM 03-14-2010
Carlos - this is what I do here at my house:

1: Get an S video cable.
2: Plug said S video cable into computer and then TV.
3: Set TV input to S video port.
4: Set computer out to S video port. (On my pc computer it's under the video settings for the card)
5: Start movie and watch on TV.

S video cable does both sound and video.

Ron
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 08:27 PM 03-14-2010
Hmmm....

First I've heard of S Video carrying audio

I've seen S Video / audio combination cables, but they look like this...

http://www.amazon.com/S-Video-Compos.../dp/B0000D898Q
[Reply]
Blueface 08:29 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:
One more thing...

Found this on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/PTC-Mini-DVI-A.../dp/B001H0REVK

First review on the page...
Originally Posted by RGD.:
Carlos - this is what I do here at my house:

1: Get an S video cable.
2: Plug said S video cable into computer and then TV.
3: Set TV input to S video port.
4: Set computer out to S video port. (On my pc computer it's under the video settings for the card)
5: Start movie and watch on TV.

S video cable does both sound and video.

Ron
Doesn't this HDMI cable on Amazon carry both audio and video to the TV?
My tv in my patio has only the HDMI cable as a feed and gets both video and sound.
If it does, this $15 item is well worth as seems the easiest way out of this.
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 08:36 PM 03-14-2010
My tv in my patio has only the HDMI cable as a feed and gets both video and sound.

Only if your laptop has an HDMI port will that work.

See comment here http://www.amazon.com/review/RBBVXDK...cm_cr_rdp_perm

Based on your description, it doesn't appear your laptop has HDMI.

AFAIK, only HDMI carries the audio and video on one cable.

And, if you're thinking about upgrading your laptop, HDMI > all else, in terms of video signal
[Reply]
RGD. 02:18 PM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:
Hmmm....

First I've heard of S Video carrying audio

I've seen S Video / audio combination cables, but they look like this...

http://www.amazon.com/S-Video-Compos.../dp/B0000D898Q

Crap - my bad. The cable that I used is like the one you have pictured. I put a "Y" connector on the computer side for the audio. Hey - it's been awhile and I'm getting old -

:-)

Ron
[Reply]
aich75013 02:34 PM 03-15-2010
I believe using that cable you will only get video. The mini-DVI only has video, and I don't think there is a way to "splice" the audio to the HDMI.
You will still need to get audio out somehow.

My older laptop had an HDMI port, but it only supported video out. I had to use a 3.5mm audio cable to the TV. There is an optional 3.5mm input asssoiated with the input where I plugged in that HDMI. Worked ok. My new laptop supports audio/video out. Makes life so much easier.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up