Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Hit and Runs...
s0leful0ne 12:45 PM 03-11-2010

Home for spring break, my car alarm went off yesterday I assumed it was nothing. On my way out to lunch a few hours later and I realized someone had hit my car...No note or anything. Judging by the angle, the most likely candidate is the neighbor across the street. Looking at his car (suspiciously backed in this time) it has too many prior dings to make any sort of conclusion. I was grabbing the mail later in the day, and the wife(?) started to say "how are you doing", but the husband(?) hurried her inside and shut the garage.

Had the police report ready to file, but decided against it, the damage is likely less than $500 not worth the hassle and a $500 deductible. My mom, bless her heart, told me that if they dont have the courage to own up to it that karma will come back around and take care of it. Its just a shame these days that people can't own up to their own actions.
[Reply]
tobii3 12:50 PM 03-11-2010
well, if it helps any, that's a direct impact from almost 90 degrees.

Your door, as well as the dent, have NO directional abrasions (scratches).

I'd kick the neighbor dead in the testicle for that one.

namely -

1) for doing it

2) for attempting to play it off

Need me to come "accidentally" hit his car with an 8,000 lb truck???
[Reply]
MortonMilo 12:54 PM 03-11-2010
Invite him over for dinner.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:55 PM 03-11-2010
Sorry to hear Aldrin...that sucks big time. :-)
[Reply]
Darrell 12:58 PM 03-11-2010
I have a feeling that is more than $500.

My car just got out of the shop and for a new tail light, painted bumper, and labor it cost the lady who hit me $1500.
[Reply]
ir13 01:00 PM 03-11-2010
if its just the fender and nothing else it shouldnt exceed $500 IMO.
[Reply]
Blueface 01:01 PM 03-11-2010
Being in the fraud detection business involving staged accidents and damages and given my background in a body shop and as an adjuster and manager, I say very well done by all of you that have assessed this to be a backing up type impact as opposed to a sideswipe.
Clearly evident by the door not having a major impact to go along with what the fender sustained.
As far as your $500 assessment, consider the following:
Cost of Fender - probably in the $150 plus range
Cost of labor to remove old fender and install new one - probably around $45-50 per hour, minimum, more if at a dealer
Cost of materials to paint the new fender - very expensive nowadays
Cost of prepping, priming and painting the new fender
Cost of inner fender skirt - plastic and clearly damaged
Door OK or does that need to be addressed and blended for color matching?
Cost of clearing door to match once blended
Any damage to suspension? Any chance the wheel got whacked and now you will eat your tire?
Any damage to the rim? That alone can be from $250-$500 easily.

I would inspect his car closely. Impossible for him to not have sustained some resulting damage. Does he have a painted bumper or chrome?
[Reply]
Volt 01:02 PM 03-11-2010
you might want to call.... It's gonna be pricier than you think to fix. Sorry for the luck.
[Reply]
SinPena! 01:04 PM 03-11-2010
You should go and question your neighbor, ask them if they seen anything. It is better to know then assume what happened.
[Reply]
GKitty 01:06 PM 03-11-2010
If they can prove it's him, you don't have to pay the deductible as it comes out of his insurance.

Had a neighbor back into someone's motorcycle which tipped the bike over onto my grill. The motorcycle owner and I both got checks for the damage. I never even had to call my insurance company.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 01:12 PM 03-11-2010
I'd have a talk with the neighbor, let him know that if he did do it you would like him to turn it into the insurance, other wise you will will be contacting the police and reporting a hit and run. If the police find out that he did do it, it will be a lot worse for him at that point.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 01:12 PM 03-11-2010
Two things.

1) Not sure this is less than $500 or not.

2) File the police report. Hit & runs happen all the time, often by the same people who thereby think they can get away with it because it doesn't get reported.
[Reply]
neoflex 02:14 PM 03-11-2010
Your better than me as I probably would have confronted them but I would at least file a police report and I am in the camp that your looking at more than $500 for repairs.:-)
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 02:35 PM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Being in the fraud detection business involving staged accidents and damages and given my background in a body shop and as an adjuster and manager, I say very well done by all of you that have assessed this to be a backing up type impact as opposed to a sideswipe.
Clearly evident by the door not having a major impact to go along with what the fender sustained.
As far as your $500 assessment, consider the following:
Cost of Fender - probably in the $150 plus range
Cost of labor to remove old fender and install new one - probably around $45-50 per hour, minimum, more if at a dealer
Cost of materials to paint the new fender - very expensive nowadays
Cost of prepping, priming and painting the new fender
Cost of inner fender skirt - plastic and clearly damaged
Door OK or does that need to be addressed and blended for color matching?
Cost of clearing door to match once blended
Any damage to suspension? Any chance the wheel got whacked and now you will eat your tire?
Any damage to the rim? That alone can be from $250-$500 easily.

I would inspect his car closely. Impossible for him to not have sustained some resulting damage. Does he have a painted bumper or chrome?

:-)

Carlos hit every angle. I've been in the loss business for a while also.

I'd probably, get a police report. It'll help prove your car was parked and not moving. Let the officer ask your neighbor what happened. He might be more likely to fess up.

I'd be willing to bet that's closer to $1200 in damages. Get the report, file it on his liability (if that's what happened) and get it fixed.

All just my opinion, but that does suck.

You'd be surprised how many H&R's I get vs. people taking responsibility. Or maybe not. :-)
[Reply]
s0leful0ne 02:44 PM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:

Hmm...now i'm concerned. Considering I have a long drive up to Gainesville tomorrow, if there is more damage than just cosmetic it could be very dangerous on the freeway.

The bumper is painted on the suspected car, but there are already so many dings and dents in it it would be hard to conclude anything.

Would it be too late to call in the report if it happened yesterday?
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 02:47 PM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by s0leful0ne:
Hmm...now i'm concerned. Considering I have a long drive up to Gainesville tomorrow, if there is more damage than just cosmetic it could be very dangerous on the freeway.

The bumper is painted on the suspected car, but there are already so many dings and dents in it it would be hard to conclude anything.

No.

Edit to say. Listen to Carlos. I seem to remember Fla. being a PIP state once upon a time. Each state sets up its own rules on P&C. Statues were different enough I didn't get tied up in liability cases down there.
[Reply]
Darrell 02:48 PM 03-11-2010
If he does not confess to hitting your car a ski mask and shotgun are good persuasion tools. :-)
[Reply]
Jack Straw 02:57 PM 03-11-2010
Do you see what happens? Do you see what happens, Larry? This is what happens!

[Reply]
Blueface 04:09 PM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by s0leful0ne:

Absolutely not too late at all to file a report.
If you advise the police you suspect him, they may very well ask to see his car.
If he caused that kind of damage to your car, I doubt it won't be visible on his. Furthermore, a little thing called "paint transfer". Your fender has paint missing from the impact. Bet dollars to donuts it will be on his car.
[Reply]
tx_tuff 04:13 PM 03-11-2010
Fill a report, in other words do the right thing.

But I do have a question, was you parked right in front of his driveway? Doesn't make it right by no means. But the guy right across from me always has a car parked right in front of my driveway and there is no getting in and out for me without driving a little in my own yard. Pisses me the F off and if I could get away with it I would smash the hell out of one of them.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up