Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Least Favorite Pepin Blend.
pinotguy 04:26 PM 03-02-2010
I am a dyed-in-the-wool Pepin fan. So much so, that his cigars are all that you'll find in my humidor right now (save the odd Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial). While I have managed to taste all of his readily available brands (his own and the things he does for other people) as well as most of his "private label" things, I am wondering what is your least favorite Pepin blend and why?

My least favorite are the new La Aroma de Cuba (regular) and the Serie JJ (both wrappers). I found the new LAdC to be harsh and lacking the balance normally found in his blends. Try as I might, I just cannot get into the JJ. To me, they don't have the strength and flavor that I find appealing, especially when compared to some of his other blends.

(For the record, I have not smoked some of his more obscure, harder-to-find, cigars like Giralda, Los Imperialista, or Capanna d'Oro. I have also not tried the new El Triunfador line, mainly because those were released just last week.)
[Reply]
NickyTeen 05:18 PM 03-02-2010
Tobacos Baez. Tried these about 5 times now and find them absolutely flavorless! Gave the rest away.I love DPG ,but I would not buy these again at any price.:-)
[Reply]
jaydub13 05:18 PM 03-02-2010
Agreed, I just can't get into the JJ. I do love the new LAdC EE, but haven't tried the new blend....
[Reply]
longknocker 05:22 PM 03-02-2010
I Would Have To Say JJ Nat. Pure Spice & Nothing Else IMO. Love All The Others, Though!:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:23 PM 03-02-2010
And I LOVE the JJ maduro.
[Reply]
fuente~fuente 05:28 PM 03-02-2010
I'm gonna say the Vegas Cubanas. Definitely did not float my boat.:-)
[Reply]
Pat1075 05:32 PM 03-02-2010
Tabacos Baez but I do need to revisit it and for the record JJ natural frickin fantastic!
[Reply]
Mr B 05:33 PM 03-02-2010
I did not dig on the Vegas Cubana or either of the JJ series series either. Have not had the Tabac Biez yet, but dont really look forward to it either.
I love so many of his others though!
[Reply]
fuente~fuente 05:47 PM 03-02-2010
Suprised to see the Tabacos Baez mentioned so much in this thread so far.

I liked the TB Habano, & the Serie SF is a stellar smoke for the $$$ IMO. I get the TB SF for under $3 @ my B&M, & will smoke the shizzle out of em'! :-)
[Reply]
tenbaseg 06:26 PM 03-02-2010
I'm not a big fan of the JJ natural. The maddie however is one of my favorites. Go figure.
[Reply]
BryanB 06:28 PM 03-02-2010
I did not like the Tobacos Baez Series H at all. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:37 PM 03-02-2010
I was gifted a La Aroma de Cuba on Sunday and found it to be a decent smoke; could have spent a little more time aging (drying out) in a humi, but it is definately something I would try again...

That's the cool thing about cigars -- we each have our own unique tastes -- which makes for endless discussion :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:39 PM 03-02-2010
That is a really hard question for me as so many of the blends I may like one or two vitolas and not so much on others. Overall though, I would have to say the JJ is my least favorite. Not to say I don't like some, but overall, I would say there have been more of the JJs that left me wondering than any others.
[Reply]
neoflex 06:51 PM 03-02-2010
Originally Posted by fuente~fuente:
I'm gonna say the Vegas Cubanas. Definitely did not float my boat.:-)
:-) I absolutely hated this stick.
[Reply]
Silound 09:44 PM 03-02-2010
La Aroma de Cuba EE line. Tastes like wet cardboard, and I've tried a dozen different ways to smoke em, store em, all that. I just can't get one that tastes good.
[Reply]
guado 10:35 PM 03-02-2010
White label JJ for sure. I love the JJ maduro though.
[Reply]
montecristo#2 10:35 PM 03-02-2010
I would say 75% of my collection is Pepin's / Tatuajes.

For me, my least favorite Pepin's would probably be: Old Henry (never did it for me), Black Label Cuban Classics, CI Legends, Casa Royale (Holts) also not a huge fan of the Tatuaje red label. I tried both versions of the new La Aroma de Cuba and I was not impressed with either. I also had a 601 a while back, do not remember the color and it was not for me.

I really like the Blue label, the Series JJ, most Tatuajes, Ambos Mundos, San Cristobal Seleccion del Sol (more than the regular San Cristobals). . .
[Reply]
guado 11:07 PM 03-02-2010
Oh yea the Casa Royal, thanks for mentioning that. What a boring stick!
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 11:14 PM 03-02-2010
CI brand and JJ natural.
[Reply]
silentjon 04:54 AM 03-03-2010
Huge fan of Pepin. The two that didn't do anything for me were the CI Legend and the Casa Royal. Not bad sticks but not much going on with these in terms of flavor either.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up