Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Tar?
Razorhog 06:14 PM 03-01-2010
I'm currently smoking a 5 Vegas Relic - it is getting some black tar looking stuff coming out of the head. I cut off a bit more and it opened up the draw a bit which helped, but the "tar" is still coming out. What causes this? I haven't seen this since I smoked a Holt's Tropical Fever maduro. The flavors from this cigar are initially pretty good; but I think the tar is giving it a bad aftertaste. What is going on here?
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 06:37 PM 03-01-2010
It can be caused by a few things. Too tight of a roll, too young, over humidified, smoking a cigar when it's cold and damp outside, etc.

It sucks when it happens, but luckily it rarely happens to good cigars.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:40 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
It can be caused by a few things. Too tight of a roll, too young, over humidified, smoking a cigar when it's cold and damp outside, etc.

It sucks when it happens, but luckily it rarely happens to good cigars.
This is not accurate. I have it happen on several premium cigars both CC and NC. Most notably a Casa Fuente Torpedo and a Pam 64 maduro. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:41 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
This is not accurate. I have it happen on several premium cigars both CC and NC. Most notably a Casa Fuente Torpedo and a Pam 64 maduro. :-)
Happened with me with a Diamond Crown maduro torp. :-)
[Reply]
bookman 06:42 PM 03-01-2010
How can you tell tar from cigar oils???
[Reply]
Razorhog 06:46 PM 03-01-2010
Well I had to put the cigar down and let it die after the first third. I'm going to hope it is still just too wet. I have another that I'll let rest for a while.
I fired up a CI Legends Pepin and tonight's cigar experience is going much better now. :-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 06:55 PM 03-01-2010
It's better, but the Legends Pepin is burning very poorly :-) Flavors are very tasty but I'm having to baby sit this thing constantly.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:58 PM 03-01-2010
How long have you had these sticks? CI ships pretty wet. It's usually best to let them rest a few weeks, and/or drybox.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Razorhog 07:08 PM 03-01-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
How long have you had these sticks? CI ships pretty wet. It's usually best to let them rest a few weeks, and/or drybox.
Posted via Mobile Device
I should have known better; I got them yesterday :-)
however, the Legends Pepin I've had for at least a couple years - the cello was starting to yellow. And it is burning like total crap.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 07:08 PM 03-01-2010
And it just happened to be the CF I gave you! :-):-) what a doggy rocket.

This a great question, I was wondering the same thing.
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 07:16 PM 03-01-2010
I've had it happen to numerous Opus X. I just cut a little more off the end.
[Reply]
ucla695 07:20 PM 03-01-2010
I've had this happen with some '98 BPCs and an AF (can't remember if it was an Opus or DC). There's nothing worse than tasting something bitter and finding tar bubbles on the head. Clipping may or may not help to fix the problem.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:33 PM 03-01-2010
This is why I smoke with a paper towel nearby- to tap that foot and get rid of those bubbles. Alas, it seems to happen frequently, and really hurts the tatse of the cigar. I'd say almost 50/50 tar-ry and not so. I usually lower my rating by 1/2 point if I have to deal with that bitter taste- unless the cigar is so fine it really doesn't matter. So, yes, to me this is a common problem-- or maybe I should say it is a not uncommon problem.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 07:34 PM 03-01-2010
Rarely is not equal to never.

Does it happen often when you smoke those cigars?
[Reply]
jkim05 07:38 PM 03-01-2010
I've had it happen to me only once though I've seen it on others' a couple times, unfortunately that once was with an 80s davidoff 3000
[Reply]
troutbreath 11:46 PM 03-01-2010
I had this happen a couple of times over the winter. Once with a Camacho, once with an RyJ Havana Reserve Toro. Very different sticks, but both Toros. In both cases, it really ruined the smoking experience -- very bitter.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 11:56 PM 03-01-2010
I've noticed this happens on mostly small RG, figurado/pefecto, and torpedo shaped cigars. I think that with these types the "goo" just builds up with the smaller opening towards the head. I don't think it has to do with a stick not having enough rest at all. It happened to me on a very well aged Opus X A. Just clip 1/8' off and continue on as before.
[Reply]
ScottishSmoker 12:43 AM 03-02-2010
I have had almost no issues with tar in the ten years I have been smoking...I like to credit that to my slow and cold smoking style...if I can't put a cigar, while lit, on the palm of my hand comfortably, its too hot....anyhow, the one time it has happened, it happened on a VERY fresh Illusione ~f9~. I don't consider it bad, because it had almost a maple syrup flavor...

I hope that tar does not scare you from smoking other cigars in the future...
[Reply]
Walt 04:09 AM 03-02-2010
I asked this question a while back and below is the answer I got from a manufacturer.

Originally Posted by http://www.StogieReview.com:
“This grotesque syrup is somewhat of an enigma. We assume that it is sap left inside the stem of the leaf which doesn’t evaporate during fermentation. It is extremely rare, but by far one of the most pungent and foul substances of the world. It has been my experience that cutting below the ooze usually ends the matter.”
Remainder of that article can be found here
[Reply]
MiamiE 04:27 AM 03-02-2010
Ive had it happen with a Padilla Miami torpedo. Never with anything else.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up