Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Do you rotate?
Footbag 05:54 PM 02-21-2010
For those who have boxes in their humidors, do you rotate your cigars? IE Take all the boxes out, and flip every cigar over exposing the opposite side to the air? I've heard people mention this, but I wonder if it really helps. I'm assuming it only applies to dress boxes, but it seems like a big PITA. Plus, the better part of me thinks it probably doesn't have any positive effect on aging. Especially since you are exposing the cigars to oxygen every time you flip them.
I would expect you could just remove a cigar from the box a day before and get a better result.
[Reply]
SouthernSmoke 06:03 PM 02-21-2010
Never really heard of anyone doing this. Would be interesting if it actually made a noticeable difference
[Reply]
jerseystepup 06:04 PM 02-21-2010
I would, however my cabinet is packed so tight im afraid if i took everything out id never be able to configure everything back in there... When i had room to spare i used to do this once a month... i do it in my singles drawer though.
[Reply]
captain53 06:07 PM 02-21-2010
Informally I guess, I pull them out and smell the wonder and sort of roll them around occasionally. Mostly just to enjoy the fragrance and make sure there is no mold which there fortunately never is. :-)
[Reply]
Resipsa 06:10 PM 02-21-2010
I've heard of people rotating boxes, which I guess I do on an informal basis when forced to play cigar tetris with new acquisitions.

I have to admit I haven't heard of anyone who rotates every single cigar within the box itself though.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 06:18 PM 02-21-2010
Im sorry, i read through the original post way to fast and didn't take it all in... Rotating boxes yes ive done, but cigars inside boxes no i haven't as said above the only time ive actually fished through boxes was to check for mold.
[Reply]
neoflex 06:24 PM 02-21-2010
I do every couple of months in the spring and summer months but more for the sake of checking to make sure I have no visitors (ie beetles)but as mentioned above my cab is packed so tight that every time I remove all the boxes I can usually be heard cursing up a storm shortly there after because I usually have trouble getting them to fit back in the way I had them prior to unloading them all. I definitely don't rotate for humidity purposes though.
[Reply]
T.G 06:27 PM 02-21-2010
I just keep all my boxes half empty, that way I can just pull them out and give them a shake or two, and viola! Instant cigar rotation.

Was debating about mounting a lazy susan on the wall and screwing the humidor to it, that way I could just walk by and give the humidor a spin like they do with the wheels on game shows.
[Reply]
massphatness 06:43 PM 02-21-2010
Within the box? No ...
[Reply]
Razorhog 06:51 PM 02-21-2010
Most of my cigars are celloed, so rotating individual cigars would be futile. I wouldn't do it even if they weren't, anyway.
[Reply]
CEC_Tech 07:24 PM 02-21-2010
I rotate about every 3 months or so. I once heard that one of the causes of "canoeing" could be that the cigars are face up for an extended period of time. I can't really say for sure, but when i rotate my aging box I also let the cigar rest label down every other rotation.

In my experience with it, and with this particular humi, the bottom gars always seem a little more dry. So, rotating does help. In my particular situation.
[Reply]
saggel 07:34 PM 02-21-2010
Every three months or so...
[Reply]
Footbag 08:02 PM 02-21-2010
Interesting range of answers. I'm going to put myself in the lazy half.
[Reply]
jdakine 08:12 PM 02-21-2010
Yes, I rotate the singles, the ones I smoke that is:-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:27 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
I just keep all my boxes half empty, that way I can just pull them out and give them a shake or two, and viola! Instant cigar rotation.

Was debating about mounting a lazy susan on the wall and screwing the humidor to it, that way I could just walk by and give the humidor a spin like they do with the wheels on game shows.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
cort 08:46 PM 02-21-2010
No
[Reply]
CasaDooley 09:07 PM 02-21-2010
Never. Can you just imagine guys like M.R.NEE, with the size of the collections they have trying to rotate every cigar!
[Reply]
ProBe 09:12 PM 02-21-2010
No.
[Reply]
maverickdrinker 09:14 PM 02-21-2010
I only rotate the boxes when I take inventory and go a mold/beetle check
[Reply]
Ratters 09:53 PM 02-21-2010
I only rotate my cigars when they fall out of the humidor when I open the door.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up