Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>One last shipping question
jerseystepup 04:15 PM 02-21-2010
Ive been taking my packages to the P.O. the last week and had everything shipped from there. Just bought a new printer today and am going to be doing it from home. So i just printed my first label and i selected the DC# option.. Where is the DC# though? am i missing something?
[Reply]
68TriShield 04:19 PM 02-21-2010
I think you need to physically have the tracking slip with the number on it Randy.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 04:21 PM 02-21-2010
So if im doing the shipping from home i cant provide a tracking #?
[Reply]
Blindjimme 04:25 PM 02-21-2010
The tracking # will be on the shipping label when you print it out.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 04:27 PM 02-21-2010
Im not seeing it anywhere?? maybe im missing it?
[Reply]
stevieray 04:31 PM 02-21-2010
Is there a bar code printed on the address label?
[Reply]
jerseystepup 04:38 PM 02-21-2010
yea, with a # underneath it wayyyyy longer than any tracking # that anyones ever given me
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:42 PM 02-21-2010
When it asks if the label printed correctly and I click yes, it puts up the DC #. It is also in that longer number, but I forget if you take numbers off the beginning or the end.

Also, if you go back to your account it should show you labels that have been printed and give you the #s.
[Reply]
Footbag 04:42 PM 02-21-2010
When I print my label, half of it is the actual shipping label and the other half is a receipt of sorts. It has the instructions and tracking. The slip in front of me has the DC# at the top left.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 04:44 PM 02-21-2010
Got it! thanks guys :-)
[Reply]
Blindjimme 04:45 PM 02-21-2010
It was way longer Randy. In that long number is the DC# Maybe starts with 94XX XXxx etc.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 04:47 PM 02-21-2010
yea it actually does start with 94... what through me off was that the last set of #'s for the dc# was two digits, and ive only seen sets of four. (if that makes sense) Thanks again guys, im still learning this end of the slope :-)
[Reply]
tenbaseg 06:09 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by jerseystepup:
yea it actually does start with 94... what through me off was that the last set of #'s for the dc# was two digits, and ive only seen sets of four. (if that makes sense) Thanks again guys, im still learning this end of the slope :-)
Yeah the DC's now end in 2 digits. That's it!
[Reply]
jerseystepup 08:15 AM 02-22-2010
Ok. Another hitch. Of course nothing for me runs smooth. So when I printed the label out last night I had guessed and wrote 2 lbs. Now my gf went to drop it off at the P.O. For me this am and since they weren't open yet she stuck it in the blue box out front. Then she tells me about the sticker on the box that said something like "stamped envelopes weighing more than 13 ounces must be dropped off at front counter". Now what do u think will happen now? Think my package will still go out or no?
[Reply]
ChasDen 09:23 AM 02-22-2010
Depends on the people at the PO.

I believe, not sure, but think that whole thing started after 9/11. If I drop a box in the PO by my house they refuse it and send it back to me. The PO where I use to work would take them and all was well. So I think it depends on the guy emptying the collection box.

Chas
[Reply]
jerseystepup 09:27 AM 02-22-2010
Awesome. I guess we'll see.
[Reply]
T.G 09:40 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by jerseystepup:
Ok. Another hitch. Of course nothing for me runs smooth. So when I printed the label out last night I had guessed and wrote 2 lbs. Now my gf went to drop it off at the P.O. For me this am and since they weren't open yet she stuck it in the blue box out front. Then she tells me about the sticker on the box that said something like "stamped envelopes weighing more than 13 ounces must be dropped off at front counter". Now what do u think will happen now? Think my package will still go out or no?
As the postmaster at my PO explained it to me when I asked about that baack when they changed the rule to 10oz, then upped it to 13oz: If you paid the postage online, that's not considered stamped. Stamps means stick-on stamps. Online postage can be tracked back for accountability via the credit card that was used to pay. Stamped there is no accountability.

As for guessing the weight, get a stack of flat rate boxes in various sizes so you don't need to worry about the weight. You can get them from the PO or you can order them on line from USPS for free (under shipping supplies IIRC).
[Reply]
shilala 09:42 AM 02-22-2010
I just leave all my boxes on the porch for the mailman. It's way easier. :-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 10:18 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
I just leave all my boxes on the porch for the mailman. It's way easier. :-)
I haven't tried that yet. I'm leery of someone walking off with them in my neighborhood.

It would come in handy today, though. I've got 9 boxes of golf balls I need to drop off at the PO today. Three trips up the steps. :-)
[Reply]
PeteSB75 10:20 AM 02-22-2010
You can go the flat-rate way if you want, but you will pay twice as much as otherwise for shipping. Regardless, you can get priority mailing packaging for free from the PO. They will ship you boxes if you request them off the website.

The vast majority of my cigar shipments are under 1lb, I think most are the same. Just from general recall, I think I needed about 20+ cigars to make it over a pound, including box. I use a simple food scale from the kitchen to weigh things.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up