Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>EU Shipping?
Whynot 12:07 PM 02-15-2010
Just a quick question for some of the Euro members(or anyone else with knowledge). Are there any special considerations when shipping cigars between EU countries? Believe it or not, after 3.5 years in Germany, I still have not shipped anything through Deutsch Post. Are there customs forms between countries? What do I declare if necessary? Thanks all
[Reply]
D. Generate 12:25 PM 02-15-2010
Not sure if I can really help you there, but I've got my anecdotal evidence from living in the UK. Anything shipped as tobacco, whether from an EU member or abroad, gets hit with a hefty duty here.

That is obviously for ones that get nicked by customs but if it's labelled as tobacco they get it.
[Reply]
Eggopp 12:37 PM 02-15-2010
Yes i agree, you cannot legally ship/post cigars from any EEU state to another without paying that countries import duties. As D. Generate says customs will confiscate it.

However if your physically purchasing in another EEU state and bring it back yourself to the UK thats allowed as you have paid duty in the country you have bought from.

I often drive to Calais where i will stock up on cigars, both NC's and CC's as they are significantly cheaper. For example one box of Romeo Y Julieta No2's in Calais are Euros 122 that same package in the UK is £220GBP upwards so thats a significant saving.. There are several walk in tobaks in Calais that you spend the day walking around, and grab ample singles and/or boxes and make a great saving.

Depending where you are in Germany, sometimes it stil pays to do that, i know Cigars in Germany are significantly cheaper, yet again. I go every summer camping and again i stock up with CC's and NC's
[Reply]
D. Generate 12:47 PM 02-15-2010
Eggopp is right about carrying them in yourself. Depending on where you are in Germany a road trip to Switzerland could yield substantial savings. And a fondue.
[Reply]
Whynot 12:51 PM 02-15-2010
Thanks fella's. I am close to Trier(Lux and Belgium are within 45 minutes), but I was just wondering for trade and gift reasons. Ship as snacks and crafts sounds like the way to go. What country tends to have the cheaper price's, France, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg?
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:07 PM 02-15-2010
holy hell, Dale is alive :-)

Belgium isn't cheap, The Netherlands is a tad cheaper then Belgium. I don't know about prices in France, Germany or Luxembourg. But there is a Casa del Habano in Lux, and they have a website (which I won't post, due to the rules) where you can check the prices.
[Reply]
D. Generate 01:39 PM 02-15-2010
Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. :-)

I tend to lurk here occasionally rather than post much due to work and real life constraints. Although I've created a group of cigar fiends amongst my friends now so will hopefully be around more.
[Reply]
Eggopp 01:55 PM 02-15-2010
I was in Luxumberg in August folowed by Pfortzhiem in Southern Germany... Luxumberg sports some fantastic little shops with small humidors with a variety of sticks for sale, Luxumbergs quite cheap for cigars... If you get into southern germany pop into a nearby town, lots of cigar smokers there and lots of shops that sell good cigars.. well worth a visit. The case Habano in Luxumberg is worth a visit to especially for NC's, i picked up some good nicaraguan (cant spell) and Hondurans at 3 Euros each and same ones in uk were in the region of a tenner.. take plenty money lol.. :-)
[Reply]
ItalianSmokes 01:12 PM 02-16-2010
You have to pay duties pretty much no matter where you ship. You declare it when you fill out the shipping form for whatever company you use. It may be tempting to misstate what you are shipping, but the penalties of getting caught most likely out weigh the few dollars you save.

That being said, DHL is a great option.
[Reply]
pmwz 01:50 PM 02-16-2010
i wouldnt order any cigars from an eu online retailer outside of germany. customs are pretty hard in germany. add the 19% sales tax + tobacco tax + most of your savings are gone.
if you trade just a 5er i wouldnt worry too much.
[Reply]
Eggopp 04:08 PM 02-16-2010
Yes PMWZ thats why i said its cheaper to go direct and bring them home, For me Germany is no more than a 5 hour drive/ride France is 2 1/2 hours.. In fact im going to France next wednesday with a few workmates split the cost of ferry and fuel and im off for sticks whilst there off for the smelly cigs.
[Reply]
druturn 04:42 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by Eggopp:
Yes PMWZ thats why i said its cheaper to go direct and bring them home, For me Germany is no more than a 5 hour drive/ride France is 2 1/2 hours.. In fact im going to France next wednesday with a few workmates split the cost of ferry and fuel and im off for sticks whilst there off for the smelly cigs.
Hey Eggopp, do you know of any decent smoke shops in Paris? I will be there next Wednesday for about 5 days and am in dire need of a restocking of sticks.
[Reply]
Whynot 05:00 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by pmwz:
i wouldnt order any cigars from an eu online retailer outside of germany. customs are pretty hard in germany. add the 19% sales tax + tobacco tax + most of your savings are gone.
if you trade just a 5er i wouldnt worry too much.
I was thinking more of trades and gifts.
[Reply]
Eggopp 05:27 PM 02-16-2010
Druturn, there are loads, just do a google for 'tabac, paris' or 'tabac + paris' you will find tons.
[Reply]
D. Generate 03:17 AM 02-17-2010
There are two great shops in Paris, I'm trying to remember their names. One is '22' something, it's their address. The other one, I believe, was called La Civet.

I think I still have some of their boxes with their names and can check.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 06:09 AM 02-17-2010
PM Sent.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 06:16 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by D. Generate:
There are two great shops in Paris, I'm trying to remember their names. One is '22' something, it's their address. The other one, I believe, was called La Civet.

Glad to see you pop in from time to time mate. do come again.
[Reply]
druturn 06:46 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by D. Generate:

Would, "Boutique 22 Davidoff" be it?
[Reply]
D. Generate 07:05 AM 02-17-2010
It's quite possible. I don't remember a specific Davidoff mention, but I'll look and see if I still have the boxes with shop names.
[Reply]
D. Generate 07:06 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by Partagaspete:
Glad to see you pop in from time to time mate. do come again.
I do plan to visit more frequently. How are things back in the States?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up