Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Labeling Cigars using Post-Its
MTBAlex 05:13 PM 02-12-2010
Hi guys,

I want to keep track the year of my cigars and was thinking of labeling them using post-it. The only post-its that I found are colored. I understand there are cigar wrappers, but I figure the post-its are cheaper.

My concern is that would the dye on the post-its tain the cigars over a long period of time? I looked at my neigborhood Staples and they did not have plain white post-its.

Am I just too parnoid?
[Reply]
markem 05:15 PM 02-12-2010
If you want cheap, get from white printer paper, scissors and a glue stick. Works just fine.
[Reply]
RightAJ 05:15 PM 02-12-2010
If I want to label something (usually the year on CCs), I cut up index cards, write it out, and then put a small piece of tape around the index card on the bottom of the stick

I wouldn't put the sticky side of a post-it right on the wrapper..

aj
[Reply]
md4958 05:16 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by MTBAlex:
Am I just too parnoid?
Yes
[Reply]
bobarian 05:16 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
If you want cheap, get from white printer paper, scissors and a glue stick. Works just fine.
:-) Post-Its need more glue to stick well, tried it=fail.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:16 PM 02-12-2010
Notebook paper is even cheaper. I use that with scotch tape when I label a cigar. Or sometimes on the cap with a fine point sharpie.
[Reply]
md4958 05:17 PM 02-12-2010
This method works great also because you can print out all the info and then just cut the label to size. A small piece of tape to secure and youre good to go.:-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 05:20 PM 02-12-2010
YEP, or sctoch tape. whatever you do, don't put anything sticky on the wrapper, even a post it. ALSO, make sure the band is a little loose, or you'll never be able to slide it off later without VERY careful surgury with a knife. I put a white band with names, dates, origins on EVERY stick I own.

simple stuff, name, date, gifted stick or purchased, year if applicable.

[Reply]
Tripp 05:38 PM 02-12-2010
One of the B&Ms I frequent uses yellow Post-Its to put a scan label on uncello'd cigars. They wrap it so the paper side is against the wrapper, and then the sticky part is only in contact with paper.
[Reply]
Razorhog 05:55 PM 02-12-2010
I take a digital pic of stogies when I get them. Then I post to my flickr page with notes as to where they came from. Easily searchable and you don't have to open
the humi. Also, you'll have a record of things long after the sticks are ashes :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 06:19 PM 02-12-2010
Guess I'm the laziest....I just buy THESE and write on them before stickin' 'em to the cello.

And for those that aren't cello'd, I use the single stick baggies.
[Reply]
dubs chops 06:25 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Notebook paper is even cheaper. I use that with scotch tape when I label a cigar. Or sometimes on the cap with a fine point sharpie.
this /\ is the right idea!
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 06:37 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Razorhog:
I take a digital pic of stogies when I get them. Then I post to my flickr page with notes as to where they came from. Easily searchable and you don't have to open
the humi. Also, you'll have a record of things long after the sticks are ashes :-)
So if you have a bunch of the same cigar, how do you know which one is which when going into your humi?
[Reply]
Razorhog 06:47 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle:
So if you have a bunch of the same cigar, how do you know which one is which when going into your humi?
Well that's a problem I've never had, but hope to some day! Good point. I suppose a homemade band would do the trick in that case. In one trade I put the sticks in a ziplock (left open of course) so they stayed separate and put a note inside.
[Reply]
MTBAlex 12:52 AM 02-13-2010
Great advice guys. Thank you for the tip. I'll try the scoth tape and paper method
[Reply]
spectrrr 01:04 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by MTBAlex:
Great advice guys. Thank you for the tip. I'll try the scoth tape and paper method
just remember on non-cello sticks, leave the band nice and LOOSE so it will glide right off the stick later without tearing the wrapper.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:30 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by spectrrr:

only once cigar bombed by me? Need to change that :-)
[Reply]
sikk50 02:44 AM 02-13-2010
I use Mobile Stogie :-)

But when I have to its paper and tape
[Reply]
TXRebel 03:20 AM 02-13-2010
Here is a LINK to a spreadsheet for making labels posted by T.G .
[Reply]
neoflex 07:39 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by tobii3:
Guess I'm the laziest....I just buy THESE and write on them before stickin' 'em to the cello.

And for those that aren't cello'd, I use the single stick baggies.
I got ya beat on the lazy dept, I just use a sharpie on the little cello flap at the end of the cigar. No cello, unfortunately it doesn't get marked although I do have a bunch of the single stick baggies and that's a good idea that I never even thought of before. May have to start doing that in the future.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up