Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Help a noob out - Cigar Shapes
Volt 08:23 AM 02-08-2010
OK, after hitting a bizillion and 2 websites I am more confused than when I first started. As near as I can tell, all these cigars have the same shape based on write ups/pictures? Are cigar makers just F'ing with my head or are they different.

Belicoso
Prefecto
Diademas
Solomone

I definitly can't see why every 1/4' in length difference and/or every +2 in RG requires a new name.... insane :-)
[Reply]
md4958 08:27 AM 02-08-2010
1. youre not a noob!

2. The first two are completely different than the bottom two (which are similar). All are Figurados though (oddly shaped)

Belicoso has a head tapered to a point. The body is an even cylinder. (Similar looking to a Pyramid which gradually tapers from foot to head)

Perfecto has a tapered head, fatter body, and a tapered foot. This cigar always reminds me of the cigars smoked in cartoons like Dumbo.

Diademas and Solomones are interchangeable except for the size I believe

Party Solomone

Punch Diademas Extra

Most pics courtesy of Cuban Cigar Website.com

After looking for these pics, it appears that the factory name for Solomones and Diademas are "Perfectos". I always think of the La Auroras when I hear perfecto, but I can understand the confusion.
[Reply]
Volt 08:33 AM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
1. youre not a noob!

2. The first two are completely different than the bottom two (which are similar). All are Figurados though (oddly shaped)

Belicoso has a head tapered to a point. The body is an even cylinder. (Similar looking to a Pyramid which gradually tapers from foot to head)
Perfecto has a tapered head, fatter body, and a tapered foot. This cigar always reminds me of the cigars smoked in cartoons like Dumbo.
Di

I wish I had saved the links.... I could point out sites that all had the same pic of the Perfecto by all the names. "Reputable" sites that are big enough one should be able to trust the info on it. Figurado is the only term I was abble to figure out :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:41 AM 02-08-2010
You a noob? Perish the thought! In fact, there are about as many different ways to describe a cigar size as there are manufacturers of cigars. It seems esp. the Cuban brands have there own names for different sizes. It WILL drive you nuts after a while. Best thing, I guess, is to just try to remember the traditional sizes, and what's large and what's small. There is a vendor that allows you to search by size- there are close to fifty size designations represented!
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:42 AM 02-08-2010
Diadema's are larger and usually around 9-9 1/2 inches long and the salomon is 7-7 1/2 inches.

Here are the LFD Salomons:
[Reply]
md4958 08:47 AM 02-08-2010
oops, just realized I had the BBF pic under the Party Solomones and its too late to edit
[Reply]
Volt 08:48 AM 02-08-2010
1. youre not a noob!

Diademas and Solomones are interchangeable except for the size I believe

Party Solomone

Punch Diademas Extra

Most pics courtesy of Cuban Cigar Website.com

After looking for these pics, it appears that the factory name for Solomones and Diademas are "Perfectos". I always think of the La Auroras when I hear perfecto, but I can understand the confusion.
Thanks for the write up and pics. To me the Perfecto and Diamedas are the same with the Diamedas just longer. I could swear I saw a cigar called a Solomone that had the shape of the Perfecto (I'll see if I can find it). And then I am looking at both CC and NC sites which really seems to make more mud of the water and dirt. I think I shall just call them cigars :-)
[Reply]
md4958 08:50 AM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by Volt:
I think I shall just call them cigars :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Volt 08:51 AM 02-08-2010
They look just like the "Perfecto" pic that Moe has up. The real reason for my post here is this is the shape that I am comint to love for some reason. Easy to light, seems to really develope a taste profile regardless of brand that smokes good for me.

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Diadema's are larger and usually around 9-9 1/2 inches long and the salomon is 7-7 1/2 inches.

Here are the LFD Salomons:

[Reply]
md4958 08:52 AM 02-08-2010
Cuaba seem to be the worst when it comes to "perfectos"
http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Cuaba
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:56 AM 02-08-2010
They look just like the "Perfecto" pic that Moe has up. The real reason for my post here is this is the shape that I am comint to love for some reason. Easy to light, seems to really develope a taste profile regardless of brand that smokes good for me.
They are actually large figurado's. The Fuente Hemingway's are perfectos.
[Reply]
Volt 08:57 AM 02-08-2010
Cuaba seem to be the worst when it comes to "perfectos"
http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Cuaba

Hehe - I agree. I need to try another of those. Wanger hit me with a Divino, I'm not to sure on that one. The Cuabas seem to get better reviews than I experienced form the Divino.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:02 AM 02-08-2010
I think the brands and vendors play fast and loose with the terms. Pyramid, torpedo, and belicoso seem to be used interchangeably. A while back I won a "salomon" sampler on the devil site that only had 2 salomons in it, the rest were torps or belis.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
md4958 09:02 AM 02-08-2010
Hehe - I agree. I need to try another of those. Wanger hit me with a Divino, I'm not to sure on that one. The Cuabas seem to get better reviews than I experienced form the Divino.
I havent been a fan of Cuaba much either, except for the 2008 LE I had yesterday, it was excellent!
[Reply]
mmblz 09:29 AM 02-08-2010
Belicoso
Prefecto
Diademas
Solomone
My understanding...

Perfecto is is a general term to mean a cigar that is tapered at both ends.
Belicoso is a "Vitola de Salida". This is essentially how a particular cigar is actually labeled for sale. The actual size/shape of these is a Campana - which is the "Vitola de Galera" - or the generic name for the vitola (regardless of marca and how the cigar is actually named).
Usually, one Vitola de Galera may have many Vitolas de Salida. However, one Vitola de Salida usually is only used for cigars of a single Vitola de Galera.
Diademas and Solomones are Vitolas de Galera. The name is often used as the Vitola de Salida as well (e.g. Cuaba Solomones), but not always (e.g. Bolivar Armonia, which is in fact a Solomones)

For example, a BBF is a Campana. A SP Beli is a Campana. But a SCdlH La Punta is also a Campana.

BTW - if you see any of these terms used for NCs, forget about trying to predict anything about the cigar - they don't have any standards the way cubans do :-)
[Reply]
Volt 10:08 AM 02-08-2010
I did a little extra reading and followed what you posted. Thanks, a lot of good info there. It just gets back to my original post, they like F'ing with our heads. No reason for all this, standards are easy enough to come up with and follow.

I'm still just gonna call them cigars and be happy :-)

Originally Posted by mmblz:
My understanding...

Perfecto is is a general term to mean a cigar that is tapered at both ends.
Belicoso is a "Vitola de Salida". This is essentially how a particular cigar is actually labeled for sale. The actual size/shape of these is a Campana - which is the "Vitola de Galera" - or the generic name for the vitola (regardless of marca and how the cigar is actually named).
Usually, one Vitola de Galera may have many Vitolas de Salida. However, one Vitola de Salida usually is only used for cigars of a single Vitola de Galera.
Diademas and Solomones are Vitolas de Galera. The name is often used as the Vitola de Salida as well (e.g. Cuaba Solomones), but not always (e.g. Bolivar Armonia, which is in fact a Solomones)

For example, a BBF is a Campana. A SP Beli is a Campana. But a SCdlH La Punta is also a Campana.

BTW - if you see any of these terms used for NCs, forget about trying to predict anything about the cigar - they don't have any standards the way cubans do :-)

[Reply]
jkim05 10:13 AM 02-08-2010
A Parejo is a straight sided cigar, a Figurado is one that does not have straight sides. A perfecto is a figurado that tapers at both ends, and specific names such as Diademas, Salomones, etc. refer to specific sizes and shapes of perfectos traditionally. A Belicoso is a Campana shaped cigar, but has now been used to refer to "torpedos" as a general term.

For Cuban cigars, each size has it's own production name in order to distinguish exactly what size they are producing. This does not always transfer to the marketed size, as mentioned, but generally does.
[Reply]
BlackIrish 10:31 AM 02-08-2010
There's a great resource at

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/lis...mmon-names.htm
http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/inf...m#Cigar_Images

and

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/webap...ction90207.pdf
[Reply]
mmblz 12:16 PM 02-08-2010
No reason for all this, standards are easy enough to come up with and follow.
The Vitola de Galera is standard.
The Vitola de Salida is not :-)
[Reply]
shilala 12:58 PM 02-08-2010
I love the divinos. They taste like sweet dried up leaves that were blowing around in my yard last fall. They're mild, but they get spicy at the end. All sweet flavor, Michael.
I've tried a few larger ones, too, but the little divinos is my favorite. I just burned one a few days ago, and it was delicious.
They're very non-traditional, I'd call it. They just aren't at all what you'd expect from a cuban cigar. They're good. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up