Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>you think I got a bad stick? oliva serie V
dubs chops 06:23 PM 01-23-2010
OK the size was belicoso, I angle cut it with a double blade guillotine cutter, pre draw was firm but I figured it would open up after it was lit. Lit it and first impression was meh. I figured "well it will pick up here in a minute" after the first third I was pretty upset with my $7 dog rocket. draw was really firm, my cheeks would actually go concave when trying to take a decent draw. overall the flavor picked up in the middle of the stick but not much, I really was not impressed by this stick at all. Do you think I just got a bad stick? or are these just over rated?
[Reply]
okieRob 06:32 PM 01-23-2010
I guess it all depends on your tastes. I have had a few of these and my experience is was the complete oposite. I wouldn't give up on it completely yet - give it a second try sometime.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 06:53 PM 01-23-2010
Well, was this the first time you had this stick? Give it another try, maybe it was a dud or maybe you just find this stick to be what you said. Almost every smoke, I try and give a 2nd or 3rd chance. And hey if it doesn't work out than I know the stick isn't for me.
[Reply]
dubs chops 06:55 PM 01-23-2010
I will probably give it another try WAY down the road.
[Reply]
LooseCard 06:58 PM 01-23-2010
I agree.
You can never judge a line by just one stick.

Have at least one more before you decide.
[Reply]
Patrick B 07:09 PM 01-23-2010
I think this is a phenomenal cigar every time I smoke it. Maybe yours was a little wet? Also, you could have cut that bad boy a bit more if it was tight. Like others have said, give it a try in a little while. Hope it turns out better!
[Reply]
okieRob 07:13 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
I try and give a 2nd or 3rd chance.
Agreed - I try to buy at least 2 of every stick I purchase.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:17 PM 01-23-2010
The tight draw probably led to your negative experience. Next time dry box it or use a draw poker. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:21 PM 01-23-2010
How long ago did you purchase it? If it was in the last couple days, possibly it was improperly humidifed at the B&M? If not, what conditions have you stored in under?
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:21 PM 01-23-2010
tight draw = not much smoke = not much flavor = bad experience

I'd say that you need to try another one. Why was it tight? Who know, it may have simply been too moist.

I have had many Oliva Vs, and have never had one with draw issues.
[Reply]
dubs chops 07:34 PM 01-23-2010
I just bought it yesterday at my local B&M. the end seemed very tightly packed. I guess I should have tried to re-cut it further up. I guess I will give one a go sometime again when I have the chance. thanks for the help guys.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 07:55 PM 01-23-2010
if i can just throw in my 2 cents here... i love the V line... i started out in the cigar world on the lighter olivas, and this is the only one i really still have in my collection.. However with the V belicoso and mini beli, ive also had draw issues... 9 out of 10 times the cigar can be opened up with a draw poker and the cigar will totally change. next time give this a try
[Reply]
icehog3 07:58 PM 01-23-2010
Might want to buy your next one and let it stabilize in your humidor for a couple weeks...maybe conditions aren't right where you bought the cigar.
[Reply]
Noomis 08:23 PM 01-23-2010
Haven't smoked these in a while. Though the flavors are good, the draw on about half of the ones I've had were definitely pretty tight. I took a little more off the heads with my cutter, though, and they smoked just fine.
[Reply]
issues 08:43 PM 01-23-2010
The first Serie V I had was a Churchill Extra and it didn't impress me...

However, the second one I had was a Double Robusto and I found it to be very good.

Good pull, excellent flavor and a perfect burn.

I would agree that you should give the line another shot. :-)
[Reply]
Ty Atkinson 08:52 PM 01-23-2010
Never really heard much bad about the V line, really harsh review to call it a dog rocket however.
[Reply]
Patrick B 08:54 PM 01-23-2010
This is an absolute staple for me. Gets killer ratings, too! I love the beli, double r, and even more so this year's maduro. Yum!
[Reply]
Goldie 09:20 PM 01-23-2010
My buddy and I were just at an Oliva event last night and he had an Oliva V Beli. and had the exact same complaint. The first (and only so far) Oliva V Beli I ever smoked had a tight draw as well. I hate to say it, but I have not enjoyed any of the Oliva V's I have had the chance to smoke. And it hasn't been flavor, it's been concerns with the construction.

Take my unprofessional newb feedback for what it's worth, $0.02.
[Reply]
issues 09:21 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by Patrick B:
This is an absolute staple for me. Gets killer ratings, too! I love the beli, double r, and even more so this year's maduro. Yum!
I would agree; this year's Maduro V is something special!

Good luck locating one though...

Most of the B&M's I frequent have run out of them. :-)
[Reply]
Patrick B 09:26 PM 01-23-2010
I stocked up while I could. I think The Party Source in northern Kentucky still has some! They do great phone orders.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up