Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Tips For Smoking Outside In The Winter?
longknocker 06:16 AM 01-09-2010
Just Wanted To Know The Inmates Tips On Smoking Outside In The Winter. I Don't Have The Option Of Smoking In My House. ( Yes I'm PW'd after 37 Years Of Marriage.:-)) I've Tried "Wetting" My Sticks Beforehand And That Helps To Prevent The Sticks from Cracking & Splitting, But With A Temperature & Humidity Drop From My Cigars Stored @ 65RH & 65* Inside To 37% RH & 50* Inside My Garage, They Still Split & Taste Brittle & Dry. Any Ideas?

Thanks, All!:-)
[Reply]
TripleF 06:23 AM 01-09-2010
Had the same thing happen last weekend Greg while the temps were in the mid 40's.

Don't smoke good ones :-) That's my only tip.
[Reply]
havanajohn 06:23 AM 01-09-2010
Greg, I have had great sucess with 'spritzing' my CC's with distilled water, and smoking them in colder conditions than you describe. As for NC's, is your hygrometer accurate?
[Reply]
pmwz 06:36 AM 01-09-2010
cut a finger of a glove and use it as a cigar warmer.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:56 AM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by TripleF:
Don't smoke good ones :-) That's my only tip.
I gotta agree with Scott on this one...I have been smoking some "value" sticks out in the frigid cold and saving the others for herfs, Baileys, etc.
[Reply]
longknocker 07:16 AM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by havanajohn:
Greg, I have had great sucess with 'spritzing' my CC's with distilled water, and smoking them in colder conditions than you describe. As for NC's, is your hygrometer accurate?
Just Recalibrated Hygrometer, It's Accurate. Thanks For Tips, All! Guess I Need To Wait For Spring To Smoke The Good Ones!
[Reply]
joeobx 07:41 AM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by :
cut a finger of a glove and use it as a cigar warmer.
:-):-):-)

I've had hit and miss luck with spritzing.....also picked up a Heater Buddy for the garage.
[Reply]
chachee52 08:26 AM 01-09-2010
During the winter I smoke outside a lot walking around the lakes. I guess I've never been too bothered by the splitting.
One idea I had if you are smoking in the garage, what about getting a little house humidifier and sitting near it while you smoke. Turn it on a little before you go out there that way why you are out there there's a little more moisture in the air.
Just a suggestion, I've never tested it but sounds good in my mind :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 09:44 AM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by chachee52:
During the winter I smoke outside a lot walking around the lakes. I guess I've never been too bothered by the splitting.
One idea I had if you are smoking in the garage, what about getting a little house humidifier and sitting near it while you smoke. Turn it on a little before you go out there that way why you are out there there's a little more moisture in the air.
Just a suggestion, I've never tested it but sounds good in my mind :-)
Sounds Like That Might Work, Todd! Thanks!:-)
[Reply]
Powers 10:22 AM 01-09-2010
i've experienced the same problems in the harsh Florida winters :-)

good time to smoke the Gurkhas!

:-)
[Reply]
Kreth 10:27 AM 01-09-2010
50?! How about we rename this thread to "How do I smoke in t-shirt weather?" :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
longknocker 10:27 AM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320:
i've experienced the same problems in the harsh Florida winters :-)

good time to smoke the Gurkhas!

:-)
Sorry, Michael, But I Can't Go "That Far"!:-):-)
[Reply]
Mr Edmundo 11:35 AM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
50?! How about we rename this thread to "How do I smoke in t-shirt weather?" :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
:-) My thoughts exactly.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:48 AM 01-09-2010
In bitter Joisey weather I smoke smaller or cheaper sticks - or both. One other thing I'd suggest: I've found that maduro wrappers are hardier and less fragile than others, and can withstand more abuse.
[Reply]
longknocker 12:21 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
In bitter Joisey weather I smoke smaller or cheaper sticks - or both. One other thing I'd suggest: I've found that maduro wrappers are hardier and less fragile than others, and can withstand more abuse.
I Smoke Mostly Maduro NC's, And They're Still Cracking. Not Unsmokeable, Just Aggravating. Guess The Best Thing Is To Smoke Cheaper Sticks 'til It Warms Up. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:22 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Just Wanted To Know The Inmates Tips On Smoking Outside In The Winter. I Don't Have The Option Of Smoking In My House. ( Yes I'm PW'd after 37 Years Of Marriage.:-)) I've Tried "Wetting" My Sticks Beforehand And That Helps To Prevent The Sticks from Cracking & Splitting, But With A Temperature & Humidity Drop From My Cigars Stored @ 65RH & 65* Inside To 37% RH & 50* Inside My Garage, They Still Split & Taste Brittle & Dry. Any Ideas?

Thanks, All!:-)

Buy a heater?
[Reply]
The Poet 12:25 PM 01-09-2010
Well, Mobile is a lot wetter than Jersey, so maybe your sticks are damper on the surface due to environmental reason. So if you are truly "mobile", move to Minnesota.
[Reply]
longknocker 12:27 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Buy a heater?
That's "With" The Heater In The Garage, Bro!:-) I Think The Cracking Is Related More To Decreased Humidity More Than Anything.:-)
[Reply]
longknocker 12:28 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Well, Mobile is a lot wetter than Jersey, so maybe your sticks are damper on the surface due to environmental reason. So if you are truly "mobile", move to Minnesota.
Thanks, But It's "Way" Too Cold Up There!:-)
[Reply]
acruce 01:28 PM 01-09-2010
Dress really warm......:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up