Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Best Buy's "optimization" services are a joke...
Silound 08:56 PM 01-04-2010
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Best-Buy...news-5466.html

I've been telling friends this for years, but there are still a few die-hard people I know who bring their computer into BB at least once a year for a "tune-up" that costs them to the tune of $100+.

Seriously, I have to go check this one out one day for myself and play dumb at the local BB to see what they are willing to tell me to sell me services and junk.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:13 PM 01-04-2010
The best way to "tune-up" your computer is to run ad-aware or spybot every month or so :-)
[Reply]
DrDubzz 09:15 PM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
The best way to "tune-up" your computer is to run ad-aware or spybot every month or so :-)
every few days is better, defrag monthly, disk-check monthly

don't put tons of crap on your desktop that eats up RAM, etc etc

but hey, credit BB for figuring out how to make 100 bucks for uninstalling demo software, someone was going to do it.
[Reply]
JE3146 11:27 PM 01-04-2010
I've had people approach me with similar tasks. I fix they're computer. They ask me what I charge for it. I usually just say whatever its worth to you, whether it's 20$ or whatever. Just don't pay me 100$ for it like Best Buy. 9 times out of 10 they give me 75 to 100$. :-)

Honestly I think the price is worth it to some people.
[Reply]
Volt 05:07 AM 01-05-2010
I do a ton of computer repair for folks. $30 an hour. Usually it's spyware/virus. The rest of teh time its just the bloat ware that most apps want to run as a service or as a TSR on the toolbar. Best way to "optimaze" a PC, reload it once a year and minimize the $hit you install. The worst are the Adobe, apple apps, google, and AOL hell. I love them though, keeps me in cigar money. I do evil thing to mine and reload it at least 2 times a year (imaging of course).
[Reply]
chachee52 06:35 AM 01-05-2010
I had a friend bring her computer to Best Buy a couple years ago. It took 2 months to get it back!! They lost the computer! It supposedly got shipped to another center, she was given a number, she called only to be told that they didn't have it. That center looked it up and told her that it got shipped out again to another location, she called that one, they didn't have it. If I remember correctly she finally found it at a third location and they didn't know why it was there!!
I had another friend that went to Best Buy when it first opened up in this area. He was returning a video rewinder (I said it was way back!!!!) that he had gotten for Christmas. It was broken. Best Buy was going to charge him for returning it even though it was broken. Or for the low price of $25 they would try to fix it (mind you the thing only cost about $30!).
I have basically tried to boycot Best Buy since then, but now with Circuit City closed, there isn't too many choices for eletronics left.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 08:35 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by chachee52:
I had a friend bring her computer to Best Buy a couple years ago. It took 2 months to get it back!! They lost the computer! It supposedly got shipped to another center, she was given a number, she called only to be told that they didn't have it. That center looked it up and told her that it got shipped out again to another location, she called that one, they didn't have it. If I remember correctly she finally found it at a third location and they didn't know why it was there!!
I had another friend that went to Best Buy when it first opened up in this area. He was returning a video rewinder (I said it was way back!!!!) that he had gotten for Christmas. It was broken. Best Buy was going to charge him for returning it even though it was broken. Or for the low price of $25 they would try to fix it (mind you the thing only cost about $30!).
I have basically tried to boycot Best Buy since then, but now with Circuit City closed, there isn't too many choices for eletronics left.
Newegg :-)S
[Reply]
kydsid 08:44 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
You show your techy age there. :-)

Both of those programs are long in the tooth and have too many false positives for most people. A better suggestion is malwarebytes. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:46 AM 01-05-2010
They probably have everything as a WinPE booted script and it takes 5 minutes for their tune up. I defrag every day. Why not?
[Reply]
PeteSB75 09:48 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
You show your techy age there. :-)

Both of those programs are long in the tooth and have too many false positives for most people. A better suggestion is malwarebytes. :-)
He's not the only one...

Malwarebytes - free? good? I've never heard of it before. Cnet seems to like it. I might have to give it a try.
[Reply]
Volt 09:55 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
He's not the only one...

Malwarebytes - free? good? I've never heard of it before. Cnet seems to like it. I might have to give it a try.
Malwarebytes is my first goto along with hijackthis! Remember it's best to run any type of scanning software in safe mode as the bad crap is severley limited in safe mode.

Prior to scanning clean the PC first to save time. Delete all *.tmp, *.temp, clear all cookies, history, and browsing results from what ever browser you use. I had a program that was scripted to do all that but lost it somewhere. Might be a good thing to hunt down after lunch.
[Reply]
Silound 09:59 AM 01-05-2010
Avast has pretty good anit-malware/spyware built into it's free home version. So good in fact that I haven't used any other software in several years. Of course, I know where I browse so I know what I'm likely to pick up.

However my rant was primarily aimed at the point that they don't really seem to do anything, and will happily charge you $80 just to install something like Adobe. It's utter robbery when you can find someone under the age of 30 who knows exactly what to do and can do most of their "services" for you.

Hell, I work for a case of beer most of the time.
[Reply]
kydsid 10:13 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by Silound:
Avast has pretty good anit-malware/spyware built into it's free home version. So good in fact that I haven't used any other software in several years. Of course, I know where I browse so I know what I'm likely to pick up.

However my rant was primarily aimed at the point that they don't really seem to do anything, and will happily charge you $80 just to install something like Adobe. It's utter robbery when you can find someone under the age of 30 who knows exactly what to do and can do most of their "services" for you.

All very true. Add to the fact that the real reason this came to light was that the 'optimization' was no longer optional but required and boo BB.

That said I used to love Avast and agree with you. But for family I long ago stopped recommending it and just buy enough keys to another popular security suite that is much better. I got tired of still finding **** because they don't have your knowledge on where not to go on the net.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 10:21 AM 01-05-2010
I have Ubuntu and Windows XP double booting on my laptop. I use Ubuntu 99% of the time. Saves me from having to mess with Windows too much.
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:27 AM 01-05-2010
Isn't your behavior (ie where you surf, what you open etc) one of the most important factors in keeping a clean system. Also if you run fire fox instead of IEX and maybe no script ad on.
[Reply]
Footbag 10:28 AM 01-05-2010
I just built up a monster Photo-processing rig and did all of the OS/driver installation myself. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have a PC without AOL, Yahoo Toolbar, and all other sorts of junk tying up the resources.
The fact is, all computer companies load their systems up with useless junk just so they can get a small kickback. The only one it harms is the consumer.
A fresh install is the best way to go and the Geek Squad doesn't do that. They just pick and choose. I had them do it once when I had a laptop stolen(on the insurance company)and it was a joke for what they charge. I ended up doing a fresh install anyways.
And if you don't use AOL, which you shouldn't be, get rid of it. It's a resource whore.
[Reply]
Kreth 10:30 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by Silound:

:-) Geek Squad are the guys who couldn't land a real IT job. Run away! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
GKitty 10:32 AM 01-05-2010
I've been anti-BB for years following some Black Friday bait-n-switch shenanigans. This just confirms they're still not someone I want to do business with.

here's another article that I stumbled across today:
The Consumerist

[Reply]
kydsid 10:34 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Isn't your behavior (ie where you surf, what you open etc) one of the most important factors in keeping a clean system. Also if you run fire fox instead of IEX and maybe no script ad on.
Yes your behavior is always the most important factor. If you wouldn't open the strange package from god no's where (ironic with bombs from here I agree) then why click the strange link. ?

That said don't trust Firefox, it is too global. The most recent malware studies found over half of recent attacks and malicious applications attacked Firefox, in other words just as bad as IE. Your current options to provide the safety Firefox once did are either Google Chrome, if you accept the privacy implications, or Opera.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:02 PM 01-05-2010
Your best bet bar none is to run a VM\Hyper PC with no anti-virus or anything. Once the VM is f'd up, roll it back and start over.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up