Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Does the cold effect strength/flavor?
wayner123 02:18 PM 12-28-2009
Hello all,

I have been pondering a question since last November and really didn't think much of it again till this Holiday season and the colder winter (thanks global warming :-)). It seems to me that the colder the weather, the less nicotine strength and/or flavor a cigar has. Now this is just my experience... and yes I realize that FL winters are hot to some in the Northern States, but I wonder if any of you have had similar experiences?
[Reply]
tobii3 02:23 PM 12-28-2009
I was gonna say something, then I realized....

Don't you live in FLORIDA????

:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:25 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:

Tobii...those 70 degree winters are rough on some!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 02:27 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:

Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Tobii...those 70 degree winters are rough on some!! :-) :-)
Hey Hey, it was 45 F, which to a born and raised Florida boy is down right freezing.
[Reply]
shilala 02:32 PM 12-28-2009
I'd say the cold has a huge effect on both the strength and flavor, cause if it's cold out, I don't smoke.
If I do, I smoke fast and get back in the heat. That generally makes the cigar crappy cause it gets all hot boxed and stinky.
[Reply]
massphatness 02:32 PM 12-28-2009
I've noticed a marked decrease in flavor when smoking in the cold
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Powers 02:43 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Hey Hey, it was 45 F, which to a born and raised Florida boy is down right freezing.
its 'spoused to get down to 27 in gainesville tonight wayne!!!

[Reply]
WyGuy 02:53 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by massphatness:
I've noticed a marked decrease in flavor when smoking in the cold
Posted via Mobile Device
As do I. I've also noticed an increase in split wrappers, maybe just a coincidence, but that only happens when it's real cold.
[Reply]
weak_link 03:09 PM 12-28-2009
What effects the flavor of smoke more, cold or elevation?
[Reply]
pmwz 03:15 PM 12-28-2009
Due to the lower temperature i smoke less cigars + i smoke them faster (almost 2X as fast). I get probably less/worse flavor from most of the cigars. The cola that i usually drink while smoking cigars is cooler + stays cooler due too the lower outdoor temperature. This will probably numbs my taste buds a little bit.
The nicotine strenght is higher because i smoke less cigars + i smoke them faster.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:19 PM 12-28-2009
Never noticed a difference.
[Reply]
wayner123 05:10 PM 12-28-2009
Thanks for sharing your experiences with this so far. I wanted to add that I don't change my smoking speed when it's cold. I have just found that the colder the weather, the less flavor or nicotine a cigar has.

I would love to know if someone knew scientifically why this may be happening. Maybe something to do with oils not evaporating due to the excessive cold air on the inhale? :-)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 05:14 PM 12-28-2009
haha. I smoked tonight in the cold and whoa what a difference. I was going to post a question in the noobs thread but after seeing this I guess it is true. The cold made the cigar different. Deff not the normal flavor I expected from it. Also when exhaling from my nose, it made my nose burn pretty bad after I was done smoking. Like when I came into the house and sat down, 5-10 mins later my nose was on fire. Weird. Guessing it was from the cold air and then the heat from the smoke, probably from the two extremes in temperature.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 05:16 PM 12-28-2009
I don't think temperature could have an effect of nicotine level, how could it?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:17 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I would love to know if someone knew scientifically why this may be happening. Maybe something to do with oils not evaporating due to the excessive cold air on the inhale? :-)
I would guess, if it affects you, it has something to do with your body chemistry and not the cigars. In the cold, the body's enzymatic processes slow over 10%, sometimes 20% per degree of temperature below optimum. Slower chemical function, repair, and disposal of local and environmental toxins puts the body below expected function.
[Reply]
wayner123 05:20 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I would guess, if it affects you, it has something to do with your body chemistry and not the cigars. In the cold, the body's enzymatic processes slow over 10%, sometimes 20% per degree of temperature below optimum. Slower chemical function, repair, and disposal of local and environmental toxins puts the body below expected function.
But wouldn't that mean that the nicotine would effect me more? The experiences I have had, the nicotine effect and/or flavor is less.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:39 PM 12-28-2009
Maybe by the body slowing down, you don't use up your all your blood-sugar so fast. As to the flavor, psychosomatic?
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 05:41 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Never noticed a difference.
I give up. Is that a pair of buttocks holding a gun in your 'tar?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:43 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
:-) Why yes, that's Assy McGee. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assy_McGee
[Reply]
jjirons69 05:47 PM 12-28-2009
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
Believe it or not, that is a true picture of Greg's upskirt.

Wanye, I too smoke faster and often get more of a nic kick because of that. I find the humid summers make cigars more mushy and tend to crack the wrappers easier. The flavor profiles are different because I speed up the smoking time.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up