Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Stunned by Generosity
Subvet642 02:12 PM 12-05-2009
I didn't know if this was the right place for this, so if one of the Team of Eleven :-) sees fit to move/remove this, cool.

While running erands with the wife and chief enabler, we stopped at the local B&M so I could look at some Xikar lighters (and probably pick up a couple of sticks, wife willing :-)). Well, I decided on a twin flame model, to be purchased later. The owner is also a Freemason, and former Marine, so we were busting each others chops about him being a "Grunt" and me being a "Squid". I managed to talk the wife out of some scratch for a Brick House and an Antonius that he recomended. As I was paying for this, he started to put a Nub Maddie and an Olivia Serie G Box Pressed Corona into my bag, so I said to him: "I don't think those are mine". So then he says: "Yes they are, I take care of my Brothers". I turned to talk to another patron as he was running my card and when he gave me my bag, I saw that he'd put a Nub Torpedo in there as well. So I said: "You don't mean to give me all this, do you?" "Well", he said: "Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll help me out someday." I gotta tell ya, I am absolutely stunned by the generosity of the cigar community. Between the pasting I took from dunng's bombing, Zulu's help with my cigar education and now this; I don't know where you people come from, but it must be a damn nice place! :-)
[Reply]
14holestogie 02:15 PM 12-05-2009
Very nice story, Darren. Looks like you've found a new favorite B&M. :-)
[Reply]
CigarGuy 02:22 PM 12-05-2009
I also am mason and have had people help me because of the mason sticker on my back window and have done the same for people.

Also, I would like to say hey to all.
[Reply]
G G 02:22 PM 12-05-2009
Woot woot.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:26 PM 12-05-2009
Nub huh? Wasn't that nice. :-)

Seriously, the people that engage in this hobby are the nicest people I have ever come across.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:30 PM 12-05-2009
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Leaf!! :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 03:00 PM 12-05-2009
Great Story!! Brothers take care of Brothers!
[Reply]
roughrider 03:02 PM 12-05-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Seriously, the people that engage in this hobby are the nicest people I have ever come across.

+1
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:19 PM 12-05-2009
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
an Antonius that he recomended
Why the hell did he do that? That is mean, very mean. These cigars were originally made for the Dutch market and are now dumped in the US because they taste like polystyrene foam and didn't sell at all.
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:24 PM 12-05-2009
Originally Posted by CigarGuy:
I also am mason and have had people help me because of the mason sticker on my back window and have done the same for people.

Also, I would like to say hey to all.
Hey back ya, Brother! :-)

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Great Story!! Brothers take care of Brothers!
The "Brotherhood" relationship is a awe inspiring thing. :-)

On another note, I'm smoking the Antonius Robusto Maddie right now, very nice. When I removed the cedar portion of the wrapper, it was covered with bloom. Leather with floral notes and something else I can't place, yum!
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:32 PM 12-05-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Why the hell did he do that? That is mean, very mean. These cigars were originally made for the Dutch market and are now dumped in the US because they taste like polystyrene foam and didn't sell at all.
I don't know, but maybe they changed the blend. I'm liking it. It's not quite as good as my fav, Brick House, but still very nice. Besides, I'm still a noob. :-)
[Reply]
poriggity 06:57 PM 12-05-2009
Very cool stuff.. gotta love it when shop owners take care of other brothas!
Scott
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:32 PM 12-05-2009
Originally Posted by poriggity:
Very cool stuff.. gotta love it when shop owners take care of other brothas!
Scott
One of the best things is; that it's only a mile away.
[Reply]
neoflex 07:20 AM 12-06-2009
That's awesome that your local is so generous. Sounds like a stand up B&M worthy of frequenting often and giving your business to as much as possible.
Only thing that concerns me is you said that when you removed the cedar sleeve it was covered in bloom. If it was just under the cedar it sounds like what you have seen is mold. I'm hoping it was plume and if not I'm hoping it had no ill effect on you. Glad to hear you enjoyed it nonetheless.
[Reply]
Montano 07:25 AM 12-06-2009
BOTL are some of the finest people I have ever know !
[Reply]
shilala 07:44 AM 12-06-2009
It's the way it works. It's catchy, too. Makes the world a lot nicer place, if ya ask me. :-)
[Reply]
TheTraveler 07:51 AM 12-06-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
It's the way it works. It's catchy, too. Makes the world a lot nicer place, if ya ask me. :-)
Yup, and I bet the proprietor had a grin on his face and a good feelin' when he left for home that night, because it sure feels good to give. Thanks for sharing the good story. :-)

And for that Marine, I say Oohrah Devil Dog! :-)
[Reply]
BlackIrish 08:05 AM 12-06-2009
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I didn't know if this was the right place for this, so if one of the Team of Eleven :-) sees fit to move/remove this, cool.

While running erands with the wife and chief enabler, we stopped at the local B&M so I could look at some Xikar lighters (and probably pick up a couple of sticks, wife willing :-)). Well, I decided on a twin flame model, to be purchased later. The owner is also a Freemason, and former Marine, so we were busting each others chops about him being a "Grunt" and me being a "Squid". I managed to talk the wife out of some scratch for a Brick House and an Antonius that he recomended. As I was paying for this, he started to put a Nub Maddie and an Olivia Serie G Box Pressed Corona into my bag, so I said to him: "I don't think those are mine". So then he says: "Yes they are, I take care of my Brothers". I turned to talk to another patron as he was running my card and when he gave me my bag, I saw that he'd put a Nub Torpedo in there as well. So I said: "You don't mean to give me all this, do you?" "Well", he said: "Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll help me out someday." I gotta tell ya, I am absolutely stunned by the generosity of the cigar community. Between the pasting I took from dunng's bombing, Zulu's help with my cigar education and now this; I don't know where you people come from, but it must be a damn nice place! :-)
Hey, Darren, and welcome. Glad to hear you had such a good experience. I'm up in Boston, and I'd love to know which B&M it was so I can be sure to send some business his way.

:-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:51 AM 12-06-2009
Originally Posted by neoflex:
That's awesome that your local is so generous. Sounds like a stand up B&M worthy of frequenting often and giving your business to as much as possible.
Only thing that concerns me is you said that when you removed the cedar sleeve it was covered in bloom. If it was just under the cedar it sounds like what you have seen is mold. I'm hoping it was plume and if not I'm hoping it had no ill effect on you. Glad to hear you enjoyed it nonetheless.
Well, it was white and spotty, not fuzzy, brushed off easily, and I smoked it anyway with no ill effects; it was pretty good. Thanks for lookin' out!
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:58 AM 12-06-2009
Originally Posted by BlackIrish:
Hey, Darren, and welcome. Glad to hear you had such a good experience. I'm up in Boston, and I'd love to know which B&M it was so I can be sure to send some business his way. :-)
Cigar City, Bridge St., Weymouth, just over the Fore River Bridge from Quincy, on the right. Just follow Washington St. from Quincy Center to the bridge. Washington St. becomes Bridge St. on the other side in Weymouth.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up