Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Just Not Enjoying Excellent Cigars at the B&M's
klipsch 10:14 AM 12-03-2009
I had this conversation with my buddy Travis (Pilon) a little while back, but ironically...it hit me right in the face again yesterday. Travis nicknamed me "Cigar Snob" because he only see's me smoking LE or pricier cigars, and I will admit that I really enjoy Padron 64's & 26's (includes 40th's, 45th's, 80th's) Tat Reserva HTF's & T110's, Anejo's, VSG's, ISOM's, ECCJ's...etc...etc...you get the idea. A while back I noticed that I didn't enjoy these cigars as much at the B&M's as I do at home or at a friends. I realized that it was the combination of cigarette smoke and occasional pipe smoke in the air that was affecting the overall taste and smell of my cigars. The cigar was still enjoyable (we smokers must all band together...right?), but they don't taste the same as when there's no other types of smoke around.
So here's the irony. I packed my travel humi with some of the sticks I mentioned above, yesterday. It was my 1 year anniversary since being laid off (Dec 2, 2008), and I was planning on smoking something special to offset my thoughts of it. So I head to a B&M looking forward to grabbing an Anejo 55 to smoke. It was my first and OMG what a great smoke it was. Good cigar, great conversation with the owner (this is my favorite shop), and another gentleman that lit up an Anejo as well. I brought up what I had figured out about the "other smoke in the air effecting the overall taste of the cigar". The other gentleman and I agreed whole heart-idly...and conversation continued onto other things. He's about a third of the way into his Anejo, and I'm digging through my humi for something to smoke next, since the shop was open for another 90 minutes and it was just the 3 of us shooting the breeze. I decide on a T110 and two more gentlemen join us at the table for a smoke as well. I no sooner light my stick, looking forward to the handful of black pepper getting thrown in my face...when the two that just joined us each lit up a Backwoods Grape. Have you ever been around somebody with a burning Backwoods Grape? It was like I had cases and cases of unwrapped Grape Tootsie Pops right under my nose. Remember the guy that was enjoying his Anejo? I had just lit up a T110...and both of us looked at each other. Both our sticks were instantly transformed into something no better than a Muniemaker (no...I have not smoked a Muniemaker). The irony was that we had just discussed this just moments before. Everybody has a right to be and smoke where ever and whatever they want. It was actually my fault for thinking I'd be able to really enjoy 2 smokes in a row in one shop visit. I'm glad I hadn't lit up the 45th I had with me...though it'd be easier to replace than a T110.

So here's where I'm at with B&M's. GREAT place to get together with others to enjoy a smoke, good conversation and each others company. But LE, HTF and pricier sticks are staying at home from now on.
[Reply]
basso4735 10:25 AM 12-03-2009
I agree that the setting while you smoke makes a huge difference with how much you enjoy a cigar. I feel ba for you about the backwoods grape, ugh.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:33 AM 12-03-2009
I guess thats just what you need to give up for meeting in a public place. Sorry to hear it ruined your smoke.
[Reply]
Namerifrats 10:34 AM 12-03-2009
Kinda hard to just move away from somebody smoking those cheap flavored tubes of floor sweepings. That crap lingers......
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 10:56 AM 12-03-2009
i would've made up some excuse and left. that sh*t just plain stinks...
[Reply]
kydsid 11:12 AM 12-03-2009
I had never thought of this before but it does seem to be on the right path. Might have to pay attention next time I am at the B&M. Although I'll make sure it isn't an Anejo I am smoking. :-)
[Reply]
landhoney 11:20 AM 12-03-2009
This is a sad story, but funny none the less. :-) I guess I am fortunate, I have two local B&M's I regularly frequent and only once has someone lit a flavored cigar.
[Reply]
Volt 11:21 AM 12-03-2009
Hehe - you should see the pic of Simon smoking a grape Swisher - the smoke was even purple. I don't think a pipe would disturb my smoke a bit - too much like a cigar, but the flavored stuff.... I agree.
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:22 AM 12-03-2009
I wish I had a B&M to smoke at.
[Reply]
South Shield 11:25 AM 12-03-2009
Well you know the cigars they get at the B&M's are different than the ones you get online. Thats probably why you feel that way...
[Reply]
klipsch 11:30 AM 12-03-2009
People lite up ACID's around me all the time, and they don't bother me. I hadn't gone into the shops for a few weeks after spending more than I care to admit on HTF's that I made a point to smoke at home or at a friends. It was my own fault really. It's kinda like enjoying honey from a jar at home, and thinking that you can just go dig it out of a bee hive without a bee keepers suit...and enjoy just as much. Same thing...only different.
[Reply]
pmwz 01:00 PM 12-03-2009
havent seen anybody smoking flavored cigars at my local b+m. (knock on wood)
[Reply]
coastietech 01:55 PM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by South Shield:
Well you know the cigars they get at the B&M's are different than the ones you get online. Thats probably why you feel that way...
Care to expand on this? You have me curious about this statement. :-)
[Reply]
landhoney 01:57 PM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:
:-) Have fun: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...=padron+online
[Reply]
bobarian 02:10 PM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:
No no need to expand. Its a known fact!:-)
[Reply]
Freelee711 02:16 PM 12-03-2009
I have yet to smoke at any B&M but will keep your experience in mind when I finally do.
[Reply]
weak_link 02:48 PM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
No no need to expand. Its a known fact!:-)
Where is the sh!t stirring smiley? :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 04:15 PM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I wish I had a B&M to smoke at.
You ever make it to The Wharf in Beavercreek? less than an hour up 75 and 675 from you. They have the loose rule that you can smoke if you buy there, I would imagine you could just buy something cheap and go sit down and fire up whatever you wanted.

Its big enough to avoid pipe or cigarette smokers for the most part. Old dudes hang out in one corner and the whippersnappers in the other, at least that is the impression I usually get :-)

I'll meet you there some night if you want to go fire one up.

Linky
[Reply]
klipsch 04:51 PM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by South Shield:
Not at all. I frequent several different B&M's based on selection. If more than one have the same sticks, then I'm going in based on price and/or the people that own the establishment. My favorite B&M carries none of my typical smokes (Tat Reserva, LFD's, Padron), but I go there because I like the owners. So...there's really no way to compare internet "acquired" sticks (business or forum) to what I buy in a shop. If a cigar is available in both venues...it's the same cigar, but I'll probably feel better about the sticks I got online because I most likely paid $3-$8 less per stick than the one bought at the shop. I have made friends in the forums that own shops, and offer great box deals alot of the time. And they are so good, because the state tax is backed out of the cost. Honestly...I will never pay the price a local shop charges for a box of sticks. I can't...I'm out of work. I HAVE TO FIND THE BEST PRICE FOR THE CIGARS I WANT TO SMOKE. It's that simple. If an out of state online shop sells a box for the same price as the local shop...it still costs me 7% more from the local shop because of taxes. Yeah...I feel bad...but what am I supposed to do...pay more? I don't have the luxury of extra cash to do so. So I bring coffee or snacks and stuff for everybody when I visit a local establishment. The locals get the 1-5 stick business.

Here's a comment that was thrown out to me that has probably changed my opinion of the shop with the best prices in the area forever. Now...I give (more than once) a couple of people at this establishment HTF sticks because they'll just never get em. Specifically Tat Noella Reserva's and T110's. One of those people is the shop owner. Yes...he's given me a couple of sticks too. Now with the coming January shipments of the T110's...I asked the owner if he thought he and some of the regulars would be interested in grabbing a box for themselves (HELLO!!!...I'm offering up a box of T110's that I could keep for myself)? He answered..."I just can't bring myself to pay retail prices when I get everything wholesale" Really?

[END THREAD SELF HIJACK]
[Reply]
dannysguitar 05:07 PM 12-03-2009
One of the B&M's I frequent won't let you light up a flavored or infused cigar... My kinda place!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up