Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Canon EOS Rebel XS or Nikon D60?
DBall 12:55 PM 11-12-2009
And why?

Lemme know... I'm prolly gonna buy one or the other in the next week... :-)
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 01:06 PM 11-12-2009
Check out this guy's site...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

and a lot of good info was discussed here...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ghlight=camera

BTW I went with the Nikon D40
[Reply]
landhoney 01:12 PM 11-12-2009
I'm as Nikon guy. :-) Have you held/felt both of them? Seemingly unimportant as it may seem, the camera has to work and feel right while you're using it. When I shopping around the Nikons just felt better in my hand, more solid, etc. That wasn't the only reason I went with it, but it was one of them.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 01:14 PM 11-12-2009
we have a canon rebel xti. it's one of three in the family. we love them. my neighbor has a nikon and he loves it.

so it's personal preference.
[Reply]
hotreds 02:09 PM 11-12-2009
What are you going to use it for? If you will be doing a lot of telephoto shooting, I'd say Canon. Otherwise, it is up to you- I'm a Canon guy myself- I do shoot telephoto a lot, however.
[Reply]
Darrell 02:21 PM 11-12-2009
I love my d40. :-)
[Reply]
stinkie 03:47 PM 11-12-2009
nikon all the way . i love my D50

stinkie:-)
[Reply]
King James 04:07 PM 11-12-2009
go play around with both and see which you like better. Most people fall into one camp or the other, and both say there's is the best...... so all comes down to personal preference

p.s. Canon :-) lol
[Reply]
KenS 04:52 PM 11-12-2009
Ford or Chevy?
Mac or PC?
CC or NC?
Nikon or Canon?

Most people will have an opinion one way or another, and ultimately you'd probably be quite happy with either one. It will depend very much on personal preference, so be sure to handle each of them in person to see which one 'feels right'.

Other than that, you won't find more complete details than at DPReview. It will give you lots of comparison info to muddy your brain :-). Find the camera you are interested in, and go to the 'compared to...' section of the reviews.
[Reply]
str8edg 05:49 PM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by KenS:
Ford or Chevy?
Mac or PC?
CC or NC?
Nikon or Canon?

Most people will have an opinion one way or another, and ultimately you'd probably be quite happy with either one. It will depend very much on personal preference, so be sure to handle each of them in person to see which one 'feels right'.

Other than that, you won't find more complete details than at DPReview. It will give you lots of comparison info to muddy your brain :-). Find the camera you are interested in, and go to the 'compared to...' section of the reviews.
:-)

I think it's the same thing. Either camera is excellent I have the Rebel Xi and had the original Rebel. The only reason I went with Canon is I had some EOS lens from the film days

I love DPReview, it's a great site.

IMHO, unless you are a pro or a semi pro both these cameras will give you EVERYTHING you need right out of box
[Reply]
coffeemonkey 06:32 PM 11-12-2009
Try them both before buying, but don't get hung up on the Nikon/Canon wars, they both make great stuff and unless you are shooting in extreme conditions (low light, multiple off camera flashes, etc.) then either will suit you fine, especially in the prosumer DSLR's you mentioned.

Might you be willing to spend a little more and get the latest DSLR's that shoot HD video in addition to still photos? The Canon Ti1 is the Canon prosumer version and I believe the Nikon D90 is a similarly equipped camera on that side.

Do you have friends that shoot with DSLR's? If so, is one brand more prevalent than another amongst your friends? If so, you might consider leaning towards that brand most prevalent among your friends. That way you have people who are familiar with the same gear you have and also who you can share/barrow gear from. (Canon lenses don't fit on Nikon and vice versa.)

Have fun!
[Reply]
DBall 07:07 PM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by KenS:
Ford or Chevy?
Mac or PC?
CC or NC?
Nikon or Canon?

Based on this, I like the Canon...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/cano...00d/page23.asp
[Reply]
hotreds 08:23 PM 11-12-2009
Another site to check out is www.fredmiranda.com
[Reply]
DBall 07:51 AM 11-15-2009
How do you guys feel about the sony a350? I found one for a good price...
[Reply]
DBall 08:24 AM 11-15-2009
Or the nikon d70? :-)
[Reply]
DBall 08:30 AM 11-15-2009
Actually, a more important question is which one works best in low light without a horrible flash? This Canon I'm using falls apart in low light. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 08:43 AM 11-15-2009
Originally Posted by DBall:
Actually, a more important question is which one works best in low light without a horrible flash? This Canon I'm using falls apart in low light. :-)
Dan,
A flash is never horrible. It is your best friend.
As a professional, I used flash for just about everything, including outdoor portraits.
The key to me is a very strong flash and diffusion of light via bouncing with diffuser or by controlling the light output, along with slow shutters.

Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you get a strong flash and go to garyfong.com or B&H and get the Gary Fong dome diffuser for $49. Well worth it and will make you look like a pro shooting flash pictures.
[Reply]
DBall 07:56 AM 12-03-2009
I figured that instead of hunting for decent used cameras, I'd buy a new one... choices were between the Canon T1i and the Nikon D5000. I found the Nikon for about $600 and just pulled the trigger. :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 08:35 AM 12-03-2009
I have the Canon XSi, simply because it was one of the cheaper DSLR's I could find. Been happy with it so far, I think I bought it last spring.

If I had the extra money I would have gone for the XS.

:-)
[Reply]
longknocker 08:47 AM 12-03-2009
Originally Posted by DBall:
I figured that instead of hunting for decent used cameras, I'd buy a new one... choices were between the Canon T1i and the Nikon D5000. I found the Nikon for about $600 and just pulled the trigger. :-)
Friend Of Mine Bought Nikon D5000 Yesterday & Loves It, Dan! May Buy The Same One, Myself!:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up