Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Dealing with Smoking Nazis
dox47 11:05 AM 10-25-2009
In my introductory post to the board, I mentioned how my state is rife with anti-smoking Nazis who like to be passive aggressive in public, in my case often at the ferry docks. In general I tend to ignore them, or if that's not an option, I adopt a tit-for-tat attitude, responding to reasonableness with politeness and unreasonableness with obnoxiousness, especially if I'm trying to be unobtrusive and smoking at the end of the dock or something. I'm somewhat torn however, as my instinct is to respond to rudeness/unreasonableness with such an extreme escalation of the rudeness that the offender is startled into silence, but I'm also conscience of not besmirching the reputation of cigar smokers.

Anyone have similar problems or suggestions for dealing with them?
[Reply]
icehog3 11:06 AM 10-25-2009
F&*# 'em. :-)
[Reply]
Slavac 11:07 AM 10-25-2009
Claymores.
[Reply]
fyrftr 11:09 AM 10-25-2009
Smoke Rings. Big Hairy ones!

Tim L. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:12 AM 10-25-2009
Unless I am gonna get my arse kicked, I will ignore them.

I would ask them to call the police if they feel I am breaking the law, or I will call them to say you are harrasing me.

You can always go the, "me no understande da english" routine and just f--- with them. Have some fun.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 11:15 AM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by Slavac:
Claymores.
I had to double-check the name. I was sure this was Wolfgang.
[Reply]
SilverFox 11:15 AM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:

I am with the Admiral on this one.
[Reply]
JJG 11:18 AM 10-25-2009
I'm pretty respectful of non-smokers so I've never gotten any grief. Most people are curious if they see me smoking and tend respond positively. We also can't smoke indoors here in Houston (except cigar shops) but if someone ever complained about me smoking outdoors I would tell them they were being f*cking ridiculous.
[Reply]
markem 11:20 AM 10-25-2009
Ignore them if you can, but I know how it can get on the Seattle Ferries.

I'd say something like, "Did you really come all the way over here just to be an ass? You could have been an ass all the way over there by yourself and left me alone."

Or maybe a true Seattle classic, "I feel that you are discriminating against be based on hate, please take your hate elsewhere."
[Reply]
dox47 11:24 AM 10-25-2009
Perhaps I'll make some noises about them free riding off of my premium smoke, and me being so generous as to not even charge them for the privilege... Maybe I can actually make one blow a blood vessel with that one, I'd have to request some sort of "kill credit" icon on my account for something like that.:-)
[Reply]
captain53 11:28 AM 10-25-2009
:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 11:31 AM 10-25-2009
This reminds me of my cruise for my 50th Bday this past April.
I was at the Viking Lounge, designated for smoking and specially for cigars.
They even had a cabinet with cigars to purchase.
I sit down with the wife to enjoy an after dinner drink and a great 70's Montecristo #2 Dunhill given by a fellow BOTL as my celebration smoke.
I light it up, am in heaven.
Suddenly, I hear snickering from a couple about the cigar smoke.
I looked over to them and then looked back and continued my cigar.
This went on for a while.
Occasional anti cigar snickering until finally, I could not take it anymore and had to ask.
I asked them why on Earth, if they knew they were in a smoking lounge, designated for cigars, would they go out of their way to sit there and antagonize me as I politely sat there to enjoy my drink, cigar and conversation with my wife.
Their response was they didn't know you could smoke cigars there.
My response was, well now you know.
[Reply]
JJG 11:37 AM 10-25-2009
from what I've heard, people can get pretty bent out of shape about smoking in California, but I never ran into any problems when I was out there last.
[Reply]
pmwz 12:05 PM 10-25-2009
tell them that a cigarette is on the sign, you smoke a cigar + F off
[Reply]
roughrider 02:47 PM 10-25-2009
If they get near and start harassing you, just start puffing clouds of smoke their way.
[Reply]
Kreth 02:59 PM 10-25-2009
I've been known to tell the pushier Nazis that if they don't let me enjoy my legal smoke in peace, then I am far more likely to kill them than second-hand smoke. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
joeybear 04:33 PM 10-25-2009
My sentiments exactly! If all those libs out there want their public programs for the indignant, smokers have to cover the tab through the bullshit taxes. I try to be unobtrusive when I smoke, but then again, it's still legal so, to borrow from our poet lauriet...F&*# 'em!
[Reply]
Starscream 06:02 PM 10-25-2009
Do unto other as you would have them do unto you.:-)
[Reply]
Mr. Ed 06:05 PM 10-25-2009
Be the bigger man and just ignore them if they're being unreasonable, no reason to be a jerk. Giving someone the cold shoulder will usually get the point across and you won't stoop down to their level. :-)
[Reply]
smokin5 06:51 PM 10-25-2009
Here's a thought:
Offer them one. Or just a puff off the cigar you're smoking.
That should take them by surprise.

If you can't mess with their heads, then you're not trying hard enough.:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up