Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Toshiba 42" Regza LCD died
tuxpuff 07:05 PM 10-20-2009
Just watching TV and it shut off...won't power back on...not giving me any indicator lights. Darn thing is 13 months old...1 month out of warranty. :-)

Any ideas before I take it in to a local repair shop and once again lose my cigar budget?
[Reply]
AD720 07:09 PM 10-20-2009
Be prepared to spend almost as much to fix it as it would cost to just get a new one. My buddy just bought a 50 inch name-brand plasma for $700...
[Reply]
Blueface 07:20 PM 10-20-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Be prepared to spend almost as much to fix it as it would cost to just get a new one. My buddy just bought a 50 inch name-brand plasma for $700...
:-)
Get a new one.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 07:24 PM 10-20-2009
How did you pay for it? Visa, MC, Amex all have extended warranties for products. Google "credit card warranties" or somthing like that. Should give you all the info you need to make a claim through them and get your t.v fixed for free!
[Reply]
sodomanaz 07:39 PM 10-20-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
How did you pay for it? Visa, MC, Amex all have extended warranties for products. Google "credit card warranties" or somthing like that. Should give you all the info you need to make a claim through them and get your t.v fixed for free!
Yup, takes some time, but AMEX has bought me a new laptop before a month out of warranty. :-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 07:48 PM 10-20-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Great suggestion thanks. I looked and my card doesn't have anything like that...just some crap when you're traveling. I'm almost positive it must be the power supply.
[Reply]
JE3146 08:57 PM 10-20-2009
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
Great suggestion thanks. I looked and my card doesn't have anything like that...just some crap when you're traveling. I'm almost positive it must be the power supply.
If you're electronically inclined and know whats wrong with it, could always order the spare part and do it yourself.

The key is knowing whats wrong...
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:29 PM 10-20-2009
I'll tell you what I have done a couple of times. If you know where you bought it from and they still sell the same exact model buy another one. Make sure that you can bring it back and get a refund if your not happy with it though. In a couple of days put the old one in the box and return it and get your money back.

I know it sounds kind of frugal, but in a situation like that I would probably do it.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:34 PM 10-20-2009
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE:
I'll tell you what I have done a couple of times. If you know where you bought it from and they still sell the same exact model buy another one. Make sure that you can bring it back and get a refund if your not happy with it though. In a couple of days put the old one in the box and return it and get your money back.

I know it sounds kind of frugal, but in a situation like that I would probably do it.
You no good sum*****. :-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:38 PM 10-20-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
You no good sum*****. :-)
:-):-) Its ok if you buy it at the same place.....:-):-)
[Reply]
bvilchez 09:40 PM 10-20-2009

And the serial number!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
[Reply]
Pilon 09:52 PM 10-20-2009
Originally Posted by bvilchez:
Very rarely do they actually check that, for $9/hr, most employees could care less. If the business owner does the transaction he might be a little bit more inclined to check.
[Reply]
bvilchez 10:01 PM 10-20-2009
well I found this for you...maybe it'll help

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customer...AQLCD00088.pdf
[Reply]
tuxpuff 10:06 PM 10-20-2009
well I found this for you...maybe it'll help

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customer...AQLCD00088.pdf
Thanks for the link...I've tried that without luck.
[Reply]
JKim 11:20 PM 10-20-2009
Tux, when you power on the TV, the LED power indicator will probably blink in some sequence, something like blink 4 times, 3 times, 1 long blink-2 short blinks...

Cross that with the troubleshooting section on Toshiba's site. It should give you an idea of the failing component.

Could be something simple like the lamp going out.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 11:24 PM 10-20-2009
Never had them check a serial number. It seems like they make sure you have the same model in the box.
[Reply]
D_A 06:16 AM 10-21-2009

To me it sounds a lot more like stealing. :-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 06:44 AM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by JKim:
Tux, when you power on the TV, the LED power indicator will probably blink in some sequence, something like blink 4 times, 3 times, 1 long blink-2 short blinks...

Cross that with the troubleshooting section on Toshiba's site. It should give you an idea of the failing component.

Could be something simple like the lamp going out.
It won't power up at all...no lights :-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:23 AM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by D_A:
To me it sounds a lot more like stealing. :-)
Call it what you may..
[Reply]
coastietech 10:26 AM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
It won't power up at all...no lights :-)
This equals power supply... If you have any experience with electronics and have a multi meter you could probably find the bad component and change it. Doesn't get much easier than power supplies. If not then be prepared to be baffled by bullshit by the repairman when he charges you $400+ for what is probably a $10 bridge diode.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up