Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>New cigar smoker from Md lookin for help.
MrOneEyedBoh 03:51 PM 09-10-2009
Whats up guys. Hey from Maryland, at the age of 22 I think im ready to take up cigars. Questions that I have are, is there any stickys that have common knowledge in them? As far as differnt tastes for different fillers , wraps ect. What about mild versus other types and what not.

Also what cigars to try and what not to try. I dont want flavored ones like acids and all. Im looking for a humidor and cutter too. BAsically I need someone to point me where to go.Im going to read the other threads but I thought ID post this up now.

Im mainly interested in smaller-medium sized cigars under 6 inches max. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

i may goto the trade forum to hopefully someone gives me a good deal on some cigars and maybe an old humidor too.
[Reply]
md4958 04:02 PM 09-10-2009
Welcome to Cigar Asylum... you might want to post an introduction in the New Inmates Processing Area Forum.

There are plenty of "stickys" everywhere, depending on what info you are looking for.

As far as the humidor, figure out what you THINK you need and buy 5x bigger.

Cutters- Palio and Xikar seem to be some of the most respected. I have both, and there are advantages to each.

Good luck with your search for info.
[Reply]
Scothew 04:06 PM 09-10-2009
Hi and Welcome to CA!

Im still a newb to smoking as well but this site is insane on what you'll learn and the brotherhood it is in this hobby.

Some noteable threads I found helpful
Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Cigar Smoking Technique
What does all that mean? Cigar Terms and Acronyms

A Basic Humidor Buying Guide
Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Those have helped me over the time in just reading through.

As far as starting out smokes, my friends started me out (and got me hooked on them as well) on Ashton VSG. Great smoke regardless of experience from what I can gather.

Size wise, I personally still prefer robusto size (5x50ish) and being a complete non-smoker up untill about a year ago, its all I can do to take out one of the larger 6.5" sticks and finish it.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 04:08 PM 09-10-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:

Also what cigars to try and what not to try. I dont want flavored ones like acids and all. ..
Im mainly interested in smaller-medium sized cigars under 6 inches max. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the Asylum. Sounds like you're on the right track to me.

There are samplers for sale from time to time here. Pick up one with a bunch of different cigars and find something you like. I'd probably hold off on box purchases until you smoke A LOT more cigars.

There was a thread recently about five things you wish you knew as a newb. I'll try to dig it up.

Again, welcome.

Here it is: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20337
[Reply]
Scothew 04:08 PM 09-10-2009
Oh and forgot my take on cutters. Being a newb and after I used a couple of really cheap cutters, i messed up and made some not so pretty cuts on a sticks I raelly wish I hadnt. A friend suggested a cuban crafters perfecto as its idiot proof basically so I grabbed one adn I have totally happy since. At $15 local, i couldnt complain one bit and I'll eventually step up to one of the higher priced open style cutters.
[Reply]
Kreth 04:24 PM 09-10-2009
Check out samplers from the different vendors. It's a great way to try a variety of smokes and find out what you like. Also check out the CA Newbie Sampler Trade.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
DonniePaul 04:34 PM 09-10-2009
Welcome to the Asylum!

I am pretty new to smoking cigars myself and have learned a few lessons early. Here goes. Sorry if I duplicate others advice.

Samplers and 5 packs are a great way to try a variety of smokes. Don't buy a lot of something unless you know you really like it. The first month I was smoking I bought 40 cheep off brand churchhills. There was a reason they were so cheep and now I have 37 of them left and I would not give them to an enemy let alone a friend. I could have gotten a few nice smokes with the money I wasted.

Nothing beats smoking. You can talk about cigars all day but actually smoking them is the only way you will be able to find what you like.

Finally don't be afraid to like things that others don't like. Also you can dislike things that your friends rave about. everyone has their own taste. Trust yours.

Happy Smoking:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:41 PM 09-10-2009
Welcome to the MADHOUSE!!
[Reply]
cherrybomb 04:44 PM 09-10-2009
welcome
[Reply]
pmwz 04:47 PM 09-10-2009
i use safety razor blades for cutting parejo shaped cigrsand they are doing a great job.
i think this thread might help you with trying different kind of cigars http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14254
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 04:55 PM 09-10-2009
Thanks guys. Im using my celll now to browse so I will check on those links when I get home. Any good etailers or places to get good samplers? Ive seen thompson cigars have those samplers but seems like they include their brand of cigar. Id rather stay way from store brands and pay a bit more for something quality. Also are there samplers out there that are strictly smaller cigars and not mixed with some churchhills? I jus dont think Ill like the longer cigar but hey I guess I have to try it to know...

Thanks again. And somelinks to good samplers would be cool too.
last thing is do I need a humidor at first? I dont mind getting it jus dont want to spend an arm and a leg. Juist want somethng basic that works
[Reply]
Kreth 05:01 PM 09-10-2009
I'd stay away from Thompsons. Cigars International, Famous Smoke Shop, and Holts are all good. Also Taboo Cigars and Guillen Cigars are very popular with the members here.
At this point, any sampler would be good to try. The various vendors have them based on flavor profile, country of origin, brand names, and vitola (size and shape). You might want to start with mild to medium smokes, at least until you know whether a full strength cigar suits your palate.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
JJG 05:26 PM 09-10-2009
Don't worry about a humidor for now, any airtight tupperware container will do.

Pick up something similar to one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_13dz019839_e

Most cigar stores have them. If not, the internet is your friend.

Do you have a cigar store in your area? I suggest going and looking around as opposed to online ordering at first. However beware: there are a lot of bad cigars out there and you can't always tell what's good based on price. The guys here can recommend some choices, I wouldn't trust the store owner to recommend something good to try. They are likely to sell you a Macanudo or something similar which is a total waste of time in my opinion. My recommendation would be to buy a Padron.

The general wisdom is that new smokers will prefer mild cigars and experienced smokers favor full flavored cigars. not true! Just because you're inexperienced, it does not mean you can't handle a full cigar.

90% of the "taste" of a cigar actually comes through the nose. The best way to get all the flavor out of your cigar, without choking, is to draw the smoke into your mouth, (don't inhale!) Don't blow the smoke out either, just open your mouth and kind of let it drift away slowly. I know it sounds complicated but your goal is to lightly sniff the smoke as it drifts away, like incense. and just like incense, you wouldn't want to sit there and try to inhale the smoke up your nose either. It will burn like hell. instead, just enjoy the fragrance of the smoke. After a few tries it will come naturally and you don't have to think about it.

well I think I covered how to pick one, how to store it, and how to smoke it. That's about as much detail as you need to get started. There's much more to learn however so read the sticky threads if you want more info.
[Reply]
mojo65 05:26 PM 09-10-2009
cigarbid.com is the noobies best friend and worst enemy.....great place to get 5packs. Pay attention to retail pricing and bid accordingly.
[Reply]
Skywalker 05:30 PM 09-10-2009
Welcome!!!

You have some great Brother Of The Leaf in your state!!! I'm sure they would enjoy the "opportunity" to "help" you!!!:-)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 05:40 PM 09-10-2009
Much appreciation. I think Ill get a sampler and go from there. any price range i should stay in? or jus go average priced? What about those samplers with a humidor, any good?
[Reply]
Kreth 06:13 PM 09-10-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:
Much appreciation. I think Ill get a sampler and go from there. any price range i should stay in? or jus go average priced? What about those samplers with a humidor, any good?
Don't pick samplers based solely on price. There are some great cheap smokes out there, and some expensive duds. The only downside to sampler/humi combos is that they usually include a 20-count humi that you'll outgrow very quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 07:05 PM 09-10-2009
ok ill stick with a tupperware for now unless i can convince my girlfriend to get me one. haha. Ill look around. Im just weary of getting a sampler and then Ill get tainted on a bad sampler and get turned away from cigars ya know?
[Reply]
Kreth 08:55 PM 09-10-2009
PM me your address and I'll send you a few of my faves to get you started.
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 09:41 PM 09-10-2009
really? damn cool bro. let me get home ( still on my cell, coming from work now ) and Ill send my addy. Thanks man.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up