Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Whoops, I won my first cbid. Good deal?
gnarly 10:31 PM 09-07-2009
So I had been bidding on several cbids, and I wasn't winning any of them. Today I had logged on and randomly came across a box of 20 sticks for pretty cheap. Without even checking their value, I bid with my pessimistic "screw it" attitude.

THEN I come back to my computer later this night only to find I won. I couldn't even remember what I had bidded on!

Turns out it was a cigar I've never even smoked, just heard good things about. So now I'm getting a box of 5 Vegas Series 'A' Alpha (Torpedoes) for $46 shipped. Did I make a mistake, or did I get a pretty good deal?
[Reply]
icehog3 10:36 PM 09-07-2009
Their sister site, Cigars International, sells the 5 packs for $25....so sorry, not a good deal.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...tem=C5-5XA6058
[Reply]
bookman 10:39 PM 09-07-2009
Stay far, far FAR away from CBID!! It's the one-armed-bandit of cigar shopping!!!

And don't feel alone, gnarly, we've all overbid. Just call it a learning experience.

Wait, did you win a box of 20? In that case it is a good deal. They go for $88 on CI. I misread it that you bought a five pack.
[Reply]
SmokinCozy 10:40 PM 09-07-2009
We all get excited...lesson learned. Here is a site from another BOTL(forget who) I have saved.

www.c-h-i-m-p.com/index.php
[Reply]
DBall 10:40 PM 09-07-2009
I think he said he got the full box for $46, which would be a good deal if you liked em. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:41 PM 09-07-2009
My bad, I looked at 5 in the 5 Vegas and misinterpreted.....looks like you got the box for half price...awesome if you like 'em!

Sorry for the misread. :-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 11:07 PM 09-07-2009
I like those cigars. Haven't had one in a while but I do like the maduro wrapper and the chocolate/coffee notes. Tasty. Enjoy your new box. :-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 04:41 AM 09-08-2009
You did well. The size I usually get is the Artisan (Robusto) and they go for about $40 a box at c-bid. Seeing that the Torpedo is a bigger cigar, you did good. Before I bid I search around for the lowest price possible, check C.H.I.M.P., and be sure of the quantity I'm bidding on.
[Reply]
njstone 09:03 AM 09-08-2009
A box for $46 is a good buy. They are great sticks, imvho. I've seen them cheaper on cbid, but not by a lot.

I second the warning about cbid, though -- addiction is VERY easy, and shipping costs stack up to ridiculous levels on big orders.
[Reply]
gnarly 12:38 PM 09-08-2009
I didn't care for the Vegas Gold I had last night, and the fifty five is pretty average, so I'm worried I won't like these. I'll consider this accidental buy a lesson learned.
[Reply]
68TriShield 01:00 PM 09-08-2009
Originally Posted by gnarly:
I didn't care for the Vegas Gold I had last night, and the fifty five is pretty average, so I'm worried I won't like these. I'll consider this accidental buy a lesson learned.
If you don't like them you can let them age,bomb them or donate to the troops :-)
[Reply]
mikeandshellie2 01:04 PM 09-08-2009
I found that aging them seems to help, but I'm with Dave on this one.. If you don't like them send em to the troops.
[Reply]
Cigary 03:07 PM 09-08-2009
You are getting good advice on here,,,,,use the CHIMP system in the future to ensure you are not getting screwed on your auctions. If you aren't aware of the taste profile of the cigar you are bidding on just get a 5 pak to test if you like the cigar. Why buy a box that might be potentially something you might not like? I test a lot of cigars by purchasing them in 5 paks,,,smoke one every month and after 6 months if I really like the cigar then I will buy a box of them.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:52 PM 09-08-2009
The last 5 Vegas Gold I smoked, a robusto with some serious age to it, was shockingly good - if you like you smokes a little milder than my normal preference. It had more flavor than I expected, burned razor-sharp, and gave huge volumes of smoke. I hadn't expected much from it - just wanted it out of the hummie - so maybe the law of lower expectations fooled me. But if you sit on 'em for a while, they might just shock you too.

Would I buy them? No, but more because my budget is allocated for others than because it was a disappointing cigar. Just my :-).
[Reply]
dentonparrots 04:01 PM 09-08-2009
Still to try a 5 Vegas. Still sounds like a very good buy to me for money paid.
[Reply]
Kreth 04:03 PM 09-08-2009
Another good reason to snag 5ers is that you have a few to try (don't decide whether you like a cigar based on one stick) and a couple to bomb or trade.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 04:13 PM 09-08-2009
Welcome to the slope my friend :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 06:40 PM 09-08-2009
CI ships their sticks pretty moist. You might want to let these sit a few weeks in your humi before making any judgements on how well you like them. 5 Vegas makes quality sticks, it's just a matter if you like the flavor.
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 07:08 PM 09-08-2009
Great deal brother,now your next mission is to give them some rest in your humi before you smoke them.
[Reply]
T.G 07:10 PM 09-08-2009
apples and oranges. The profile of each of the 5 Vegas lines is different from it's counterparts.

The Serie A is a chocolate/coffee & earth with spice type cigar.

In that line, the narrower the ring guage, the spicier and stronger the cigar is - the Anomoly, the Petite Corona being the strongest of the line. The alpha is about middle of the road.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up