Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Hi Guys: A little help please?
Slavac 08:01 PM 09-03-2009
I've always enjoyed cigars but never have taken it upon myself to buy a humidor.

I started small:

^Accessories are just for pic, it's only cigars and tobacco in there.

Now I've purchased this one:
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...?item=M-HAV300

Could someone teach me a bit about this humidor? How should I season it? For how long? Do I need beads? Tips/tricks?

I filled it with a few of these. I realize they're low brands, but my unrefined palate doesn't know the difference yet.

Cont...
[Reply]
Slavac 08:02 PM 09-03-2009
Cont from above:

Here's the cigars I've filled it with. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys.
[Reply]
adampc22 08:03 PM 09-03-2009
gun oil flavour cigars YUM LOL
[Reply]
jjirons69 08:13 PM 09-03-2009
This should get you started with that humi.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618

As for the smokes, nice looking selection you've chosen. You've got maduros, naturals, sun growns, connecticuts, milds, strongs, delicious ones, and shitty ones. That's the base to a good cigar collection. Now, start smoking!

Welcome to the Asylum!
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 08:26 PM 09-03-2009
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
This should get you started with that humi.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618

As for the smokes, nice looking selection you've chosen. You've got maduros, naturals, sun growns, connecticuts, milds, strongs, delicious ones, and shitty ones. That's the base to a good cigar collection. Now, start smoking!

Welcome to the Asylum!
:-)

That's a pretty good starter kit as far as smokes goes. I would recommend getting beads as well. Maybe the 70% humidity beads? As far as the gun, I'm not sure if you want to keep that inside your humidor with your smokes.
[Reply]
Mikepd 08:51 PM 09-03-2009
I would suggest not keeping a used pipe in a humidor either, it will impart some smells and tastes into the humidor and cigars you will not want there.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 09:51 PM 09-03-2009
Right on, I was caught up looking at the gun that I didn't even notice the pipe and the pipe tobacco.
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:30 AM 09-04-2009
Those are a bunch of nice cigars your filling it with. Good selection.

BTW, welcome!
[Reply]
JJG 08:04 AM 09-04-2009
I've always heard that anything metal like cutters, etc. need to be kept out of the humidor due to the higher RH and the danger of oxidation. but I assumed the handgun was just for size reference.

anyhow, looks like you're off to a good start. The best thing to do is just buy as many different singles as you can hold and try a wide variety until you get a good idea of what you like. No need to commit to any boxes at this point. Trading is a good way to sample cigars you might not otherwise come across and make friends too.

Also, it's a good idea to look up what you're smoking and make note of the country of origin, wrapper type, etc. Each growing region has it's own unique climate and soil. Tobacco from the same region will usually have similar flavors as well.
[Reply]
Slavac 08:43 AM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
I've always heard that anything metal like cutters, etc. need to be kept out of the humidor due to the higher RH and the danger of oxidation. but I assumed the handgun was just for size reference.

anyhow, looks like you're off to a good start. The best thing to do is just buy as many different singles as you can hold and try a wide variety until you get a good idea of what you like. No need to commit to any boxes at this point. Trading is a good way to sample cigars you might not otherwise come across and make friends too.

Also, it's a good idea to look up what you're smoking and make note of the country of origin, wrapper type, etc. Each growing region has it's own unique climate and soil. Tobacco from the same region will usually have similar flavors as well.
The pistola, pipe and tools are in there just for the fun of the picture. What about the pipe tobacco tin? Does that need to find a new home?

Thanks for the replies everyone :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:44 AM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by Slavac:
Does that need to find a new home?
I say yes. Get a small cooler and place your pipe baccy in there.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:56 AM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I say yes. Get a small cooler and place your pipe baccy in there.

Always keep your pipe tobacco and cigar separate. I have a humidor for my cigars and a tupper-dor for my pipe tobacco.
[Reply]
Slavac 12:37 PM 09-04-2009
Thanks for the advice guys. If anyone else has anything to add, I'm happy to learn/listen :-)
[Reply]
JJG 01:34 PM 09-04-2009
Try lighting two or three at the same time for comparison. I say don't worry about building up a big collection right away. Until you find what you like, smoke everything and build up a seasoned palate! or you will end up with a lot of cigars you have no intention of ever smoking.

I eventually had to just clean out everything I didn't want because I probably had between 100-200 cigars that were just taking up space. so I traded up, getting rid of 20 at a time in exchange for maybe 4-5 super premiums. Now I don't even have 100 cigars in my whole collection but there's not a single throwaway cigar in the entire lot. :-)
[Reply]
Steve 01:44 PM 09-04-2009
Nice gun though!
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 01:47 PM 09-04-2009
That is a great selection of cigars to figure out what tastes you like. You can smoke one, note what you taste, like and dislike about it, then compare to what others say. By the time you're through with those you will know exactly what your preferences are.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 01:48 PM 09-04-2009
BTW, nice gun.
[Reply]
Kreth 02:03 PM 09-04-2009
Samplers are a great way to start. Make notes on what you like and try others from that brand. You've got a great variety, and I'm sure you'll find some winners in the mix.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
JJG 02:03 PM 09-04-2009
I can't emphasize enough, if it sucks or you think it's going to suck, light it/trade it. Don't let it sit, taking up precious real estate. I judge a good collection by the contents and not the size.

and yeah, cool gun too.
[Reply]
Slavac 10:37 PM 09-04-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
I can't emphasize enough, if it sucks or you think it's going to suck, light it/trade it. Don't let it sit, taking up precious real estate. I judge a good collection by the contents and not the size.

and yeah, cool gun too.
Noted. That's the main reason you'll find both cigars people consider to be crap and some rather nice ones in there. I'd like to make up my own mind about what I like and dislike and I think a sampler or 5 makes for a fantastic medium with which to build my preferences.

Thanks again everyone.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up