Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Which NCs age well?
chenvt 07:36 AM 08-25-2009
I was reading a review on another forum of the Padron Millenium which is a highly sought after, very rare cigar... Then you read that an Opus needs 5 years.. So certain brands age well? Tats may be too soon to tell about their aging, but what about AVO, Davidoff, etc?
[Reply]
cbsmokin 07:46 AM 08-25-2009
I'm not sure about what NC do age well, but I know that Padron Anni's do NOT age well. Time makes them terrible.
[Reply]
kydsid 07:57 AM 08-25-2009
I always thought the rule of thumb was that time might make a cigar better but it wouldn't make it worse. Is this not true?
[Reply]
JJG 07:59 AM 08-25-2009
a lot of NCs, specifically the higher quality (expensive) smokes already contain aged tobacco. that doesn't mean they won't continue to improve, its just that they are made to be smoked without additional age.

The only cigars I hear of people aging quite often are Opus. If you were to pick something for long term aging, I would get something complex and bold that's not going to lose to much strength over time. If you start with a mediocre box, you will likely be disappointed.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:59 AM 08-25-2009
I tend to think that NC cigars become worse with too much age, most of the "aged" NC's I have had can taste muted and bland :-)
[Reply]
chenvt 09:22 AM 08-25-2009
time to dump those boxes of AVO and Tats huh? lol
[Reply]
TripleF 09:40 AM 08-25-2009
Recently I've smoked a few Oliva cloth bands that are obviously older and frankly they were pretty bland. I don't have enough sticks to store that long anyhow, but age doesn't seem to help NC's IMHO.
[Reply]
rudeJARHEAD 09:50 AM 08-25-2009
Last week I smoked an Indian Tabac tomahawk maduro that I had had in the bottom of my Humi for a few years and when I put them in there it was ok. After a few years it was very smooth and complex with a hint of sweetness. Another that I have had good experience aging is Sanch Panza and St Luis Rey
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:01 AM 08-25-2009
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:
I'm not sure about what NC do age well, but I know that Padron Anni's do NOT age well. Time makes them terrible.
Here is where subjective taste comes into play. I think the Padrons age wonderfully. I recently had a 6 year old '64 and it was sublime. Freaking fantastic. I rarely will smoke a Padron anymore without a few years on them. Also Pepins age very well, including Tats. They become much more complex and rounded without all the power. I've also got some old Torano Black and Silver 59's that are off the hook good, to me.

It's best not to take anyone's advice on the issue, imo. It's something you can only tell for yourself.
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 12:35 PM 08-25-2009
I think that the original Oliva Master Blends have aged wonderfully....it is a stunning smoke now, in my opinion!
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:39 PM 08-25-2009
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry:
I think that the original Oliva Master Blends have aged wonderfully....it is a stunning smoke now, in my opinion!
Oh yeah, forgot about those. They are awesome! :-) Also the LA Cien Anos have aged great too!
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 12:45 PM 08-25-2009
I agre with NC Radio man. Also Punchs are very good with age. A frend gave me an punch EMS roschild with a year on it And I'd smoked it after work ond day and WOW. IDK that age can do that to a cigar cus for years my humi was the walk in at my B&M. also any nick pruros should age out very well. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 12:54 PM 08-25-2009
Originally Posted by kydsid:
I always thought the rule of thumb was that time might make a cigar better but it wouldn't make it worse. Is this not true?
Yes, this is not true.
It's also subjective. Especially with premium nc's that are rolled from aged tobacco. If you want a smoke to get milder, so that it suits your personal preference more, then let it set.
With cc's, the tobacco is fresh and needs time for tannins to break down, so they aren't so bitter. Then things go from there. It's a whole different ball game.
Lots of guys enjoy cigars that are so mild it's like sucking air. I don't.
I try to give my nc's a few months to a year to settle down and get to the potential that I've chosen to suit what I like.
I've picked up nc's that were unsmaokable, then after 8 months they were stellar. Four or five months later, they'd passed their "peak", and weren't nearly as flavorful or enjoyable. I call it "hitting their window".
That "window" is what I like, personally. Nine out of ten other guys might like them better after I've already decided I don't want to smoke any more.
That said, I've smoked ciagsr that were up to 100 years old. Some were really good, and some really sucked. Without being able to smoke a 50 year old cigar 50 years ago, and try another now, I can't guage whether they "got better".
But once again, what I like and what everyone else likes may be two totally different things.
I think to summarize, I age smokes to make them suit what I like. Some I smoke rott until they're gone. I've also watched lots of very delicious nc's get very mild in a very short period of time. For me, that's very bad. :-)
[Reply]
bigloo 01:09 PM 08-25-2009
I think there is a lot of hit and miss. I smoked a VSG with 2 years on it which was just brilliant. Also recently I smoked a Graycliff Original with 18 months which was also amazing. I have a whole bunch of higher end sticks (Anejo, Opus, Ashtons) approaching the 18 month mark and everytime I pull one to smoke they come through a big way. Pepper is my least favorite cigar taste and I find it is the first to go with age so I kinda like leaving NC to age, but as many stated here, it come down to personal taste.
[Reply]
Bax 01:16 PM 08-25-2009
Originally Posted by bigloo:
I think there is a lot of hit and miss. I smoked a VSG with 2 years on it which was just brilliant. Also recently I smoked a Graycliff Original with 18 months which was also amazing. I have a whole bunch of higher end sticks (Anejo, Opus, Ashtons) approaching the 18 month mark and everytime I pull one to smoke they come through a big way. Pepper is my least favorite cigar taste and I find it is the first to go with age so I kinda like leaving NC to age, but as many stated here, it come down to personal taste.
Couldn't have said it better!
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 01:37 PM 08-25-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
a lot of NCs, specifically the higher quality (expensive) smokes already contain aged tobacco. that doesn't mean they won't continue to improve, its just that they are made to be smoked without additional age.

The only cigars I hear of people aging quite often are Opus. If you were to pick something for long term aging, I would get something complex and bold that's not going to lose to much strength over time. If you start with a mediocre box, you will likely be disappointed.
Agreed! Opus must be aged. They are very green when they come out. SOUR! is the word that describes them :-)
[Reply]
Steelergar 08:07 PM 08-25-2009
I would think San Cristobol's would age well. I have been buying EO 601's specifically for aging and some Oliva masters blend 2 also. However I smoked a DPG blue with 2 years age on it and didn't like it as much as out of the box.
[Reply]
Scottw 08:09 PM 08-25-2009
I have some 3 yr old RP vintage 1990's which are smoking greay and some original release boxes of the Decades which are getting really tasty.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:30 PM 08-25-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
Yes, this is not true.
It's also subjective. Especially with premium nc's that are rolled from aged tobacco. If you want a smoke to get milder, so that it suits your personal preference more, then let it set.
:-)
[Reply]
skullnrose 08:36 PM 08-25-2009
Fuente Don Carlos seem to me to get better with time. I have some with 2-3 years on them and they are smoking great.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up