Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>MOLD!!! Help!!
BUCASmoker 07:57 PM 08-20-2009
I am using 2 bags of beads and just found 2 sticks that got moldy, thanks to this recent heat and humidity wave. I just checked the hygro, its reading 77%. I threw the 2 bags of beads in the freezer (chilling now... taking them out in 20 min and putting them into the ziploc bag, as per instructions). Is there anything I can do to soak up some of the humidity before it takes up all my sticks? I was thinking of putting a bag of rice in there.
[Reply]
TripleF 08:05 PM 08-20-2009
Just leave the lid open for a while.

What do you have in there that's allowing the humidity to get up to 77% ?
[Reply]
jerseystepup 08:10 PM 08-20-2009
Originally Posted by TripleF:

thats what i was thinking.. is it really humid where you are? if so have you checked the seals of your humi? what % beads do you have?
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 08:11 PM 08-20-2009

I have 2 4 oz bags of Scott's beads (at 65%) (for a 150 ct humi)... the problem is that its so humid outside. If I leave the lid open, the hygrometer jumps up to 85%. It is unbelievably humid outside (I live right on the ocean).
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 08:12 PM 08-20-2009
Originally Posted by jerseystepup:
thats what i was thinking.. is it really humid where you are? if so have you checked the seals of your humi? what % beads do you have?
Yeah it is really humid.
65%... as far as I know, the seals are good... i just bought it from CheapHumidors (as an imperfect, but usually imperfect just means a knick on the finish) a month ago.
[Reply]
markem 08:13 PM 08-20-2009
a hair drier will remove humidity from beads pretty fast.

I agree with opening the lid/door, unless the inside RH is high. Heck, if the room is below 65%, I'd take everything out for a couple of hours and then put it back. I'd also test your humidity gauge.
[Reply]
TripleF 08:15 PM 08-20-2009
Dude, somethings not right.....I live in Florida where the humidity is almost always above 90%. Is your humidor outside?
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 08:16 PM 08-20-2009
Dude, somethings not right.....I live in Florida where the humidity is almost always above 90%. Is your humidor outside?
No, but it is unbelievably humid outside. There is thick fog almost all night long. You think the seal is broken?
[Reply]
Bax 08:16 PM 08-20-2009
Invest in a small cooler. Much easier to deal with humidity swings. It's ugly but for 30 bucks you're set.
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 08:19 PM 08-20-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
a hair drier will remove humidity from beads pretty fast.

I agree with opening the lid/door, unless the inside RH is high. Heck, if the room is below 65%, I'd take everything out for a couple of hours and then put it back. I'd also test your humidity gauge.
65% would be awesome right now. I think were at 80-85% right now.

It also doesnt help that it is 75 degrees either. I am keeping it under my bed, but no real way to keep it cool (no AC in my apt). I have been checking every day for beetles and still havent seen anything. Crossing my fingers.
[Reply]
TripleF 08:20 PM 08-20-2009
Originally Posted by BUCASmoker:
No, but it is unbelievably humid outside. There is thick fog almost all night long. You think the seal is broken?
Believe me....I gotcha on the humidity....

Go to wally world and bo waht BAX says, buy a cooler. I've been using one for over a year now and haven't had one iota of a problem..
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 08:25 PM 08-20-2009
this habit is costing me too much money :-)

i'll go tomorrow... just in time to deal with hurricane bill!
[Reply]
TripleF 08:26 PM 08-20-2009
this habit is costing me too much money :-)

i'll go tomorrow... just in time to deal with hurricane bill!
Take your hyromoter and set it in the living room. see what it reads....maybe you should take them (cigars) out of the humidor.
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 08:32 PM 08-20-2009
Take your hyromoter and set it in the living room. see what it reads....maybe you should take them (cigars) out of the humidor.
77.5* and 80% and still rising. noaa.gov says RH is 96% :-)
[Reply]
TripleF 08:33 PM 08-20-2009
77.5* and 80% and still rising. noaa.gov says RH is 96% :-)
close the windows, turn the air conditioning on...
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 08:37 PM 08-20-2009
close the windows, turn the air conditioning on...
no air conditioning, and i live in an old victorian building that doesn't have windows. only a few doors that open up. the rest are french doors that are painted shut.
[Reply]
TripleF 08:41 PM 08-20-2009
no air conditioning, and i live in an old victorian building that doesn't have windows. only a few doors that open up. the rest are french doors that are painted shut.

Ohhhhhhh boy, that's not good. Take the beeds and the humi and set it in the fridge. As long as the beeds maintain 65%, you'll be fine.

Do keep the beeds and the cigars in the humi....in the fridge.
[Reply]
captain53 09:00 PM 08-20-2009
I had a cheaphumidors humi and ruined a bunch of
cigars the opposite way, could not keep humidty up enough, mine did not seal well at all and I was in a very dry climate in TX .
[Reply]
Bax 05:39 AM 08-21-2009
Are you using the analog hygro by any chance? If you are dump it and get a digital. Those dial gauges are almost worthless.
[Reply]
newcigarz 06:00 AM 08-21-2009
I would get some DampRid. I use it in my Aristocrat sometimes to bring the humidity down, here is S. Florida. Bob Staebell actually recommended it.

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up