Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>Stallworth Suspended for Entire Season
BlackDog 09:18 AM 08-13-2009
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4396130

What this guy did is reprehensible, I guess I have no problem with the Commish and his iron fist. Maybe the next NFL'er will think twice before drinking and driving.
[Reply]
bigloo 09:22 AM 08-13-2009
I agree. These guys lawyer up, pay off victims... they might be above the legal system so I think the NFL is doing the right thing. Eric Little should be next, I hate that guy.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 09:24 AM 08-13-2009
I don't think he deserved to get suspended for the whole season. Unlike all the other players that did something wrong he came out right away and admitted to it. He actually acted like a man through the whole process. He served some jail time and had a settlement with the family. A full season with no pay is a little harsh :-)

It's almost like Goodell is saying our judiciary system isn't good enough punishment.
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:32 AM 08-13-2009
GG, I repectfully disagree. He served 24 days in jail, which I don't think that is sufficient punishment for killing an innocent man crossing the street. Of course it's not Goodell's job to enforce the law, but 24 days seems pretty meager for killing someone.
[Reply]
bigloo 09:32 AM 08-13-2009
Chris,

Someone with less money than Dante would have served a much stiffer sentence. Having money should not be a get out of jail card. The NFL creates the situation with making these guys filthy rich so in a way, they need to deal with the problem beyond the justice system. If I am convicted of a crime like this, my contract with my employer has very clear consequences, I am out the door. Why should it be different for him.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:38 AM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
GG, I repectfully disagree. He served 24 days in jail, which I don't think that is sufficient punishment for killing an innocent man crossing the street. Of course it's not Goodell's job to enforce the law, but 24 days seems pretty meager for killing someone.
:-) I totally agree. 24 DAYS??? He killed someone. If any of us did this, we would be looking at involuntary manslaughter and at least 5-10 years. What Michael Vick did was wrong, no doubt about it, but they were dogs, not a human and he got 24 months.

While I can't hold the NFL to "upholding" the law...he did his time according to the court (all be it was WAY too short for the crime). I believe Goodell did the right thing...as long as it is only a year suspension . Like Michael Vick, I believe he should be given a second chance.
[Reply]
Blindjimme 09:43 AM 08-13-2009
Have to go with Warren, Lu and Michael on this. There's a family still grieving over this.
[Reply]
Scottw 09:47 AM 08-13-2009
We should run him over with the Madden Bus.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:56 AM 08-13-2009
I agree with the yearlong suspension. DUI is a serious offense.
[Reply]
Scottw 10:00 AM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Killing someone is even more serious.
[Reply]
ade06 10:10 AM 08-13-2009
Without hearing all of the evidence of the events, it's hard for me to conclude either way that the court's sentence was too lenient. To me, one thing seems to keep getting overlooked or understated. The victim was not some "innocent" guy crossing the street at an intersection. From what I've read, he dashed across the middle of the street to try to catch a bus and any driver (whether drinking or not) would have hit him. Had Donte not been drinking, charges would not likely have been filed. But he was drinking and he was over the legal limit, so he was guilty of a crime. A crime that he was punished for by someone who did review all of the evidence of the events. Another thing not always brought up is that the State brings the criminal charges, not the victims family. So regardless of whether or not they were "paid off", such payments do not affect the strength of the State's criminal case and the Judge's sentence. Taking away someone's livelihood for an entire year, seems too harsh looking in from the outside, but again, I haven't seen all of the evidence. What was the Commish's decision based on? An in depth review of the events… I don't know, but I'm sure Donte and his legal team will appeal this one.
[Reply]
ade06 10:18 AM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
If the NFL penalizes all DUI convictions equally, I guess I'm ok with this. Maybe the NFL needs to create a long laundry list of possible actions or infractions and affix to them, the penalty associated with them which would be the same for all violators regardless of the player's popularity.

I don't think that this would work, because just like our criminal system, there are always exceptions and/or unique circumstances that personal judgment should be allowed.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 10:24 AM 08-13-2009
Part of the reason why I dont watch much football is I have a hard time supporting a sport whos athletes are out of control. So few give back to the community and so many do more harm then good. Every year athletes are busted for shootings drugs etc. Guess thats why I watch more hockey and baseball. Not that BB is perfect, but a good deal better guys.
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:24 AM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Killing someone is even more serious.
I agree.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 11:29 AM 08-13-2009
I'm not trying to say what the man did was not wrong at all. The thing is regardless of his money or status the punishment by the judiciary system is what it is. I just feel that Goodell is undermining the system by levying such large suspensions on players. Why should he get punished more when he knows what he did and took responsibility for it? Goodell needs to set some sort of regulation for how many games an incident requires. Him making all situations case by case isn't very fair. Also I'm suprised the players association hasn't spoken out on this.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 11:40 AM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Part of the reason why I dont watch much football is I have a hard time supporting a sport whos athletes are out of control. So few give back to the community and so many do more harm then good. Every year athletes are busted for shootings drugs etc. Guess thats why I watch more hockey and baseball. Not that BB is perfect, but a good deal better guys.
Hockey players don't kill people, they just beat them up :-)
[Reply]
Volt 11:54 AM 08-13-2009
I guess sense we are posting point of views. What the NFL does to protect it's self is their business. Some have looked at it being punished twice, if so that's ok. He signed a peice of paper stating he would abide by certain rules and regs in order to enjoy the priviledge to play in the NFL. I'd be willing to bet no one held a gun to his head and said you must sign this milti million dollar contract that aslo has a morals clause. Very similiar to what we agreed to in order to enlist in the Armed services. We also fall under 2 "judicial systems", UCMJ and the civil athorities. Life can be a bit*h sometimes when you screw up.

On the arrest and punishment for the civ charges. IMO too light in my book. 24 days for killing another human and he broke at least 2 laws to do that. I will say though he got more punishment than the average cage driver gets for killing a motorcycle rider. I'm betting he got the 24 days plus extras because he is famous and something had to be done in order for the courts not to be attacked for catering to the rich.

As a motorcycle rider, the usual charge for running one of us over is a failure to yield citation, small fine and free they go. Main reason given, "I didn't see him". Get off the cell, the Big Mac, make up, and drive that 3,000 lb car with the attention it deserves. The man does get my respect for standing up and taking responsibility for his actions. As always, my :-) and YMMV.
[Reply]
kgoings 12:02 PM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by ade06:
Without hearing all of the evidence of the events, it's hard for me to conclude either way that the court's sentence was too lenient. To me, one thing seems to keep getting overlooked or understated. The victim was not some "innocent" guy crossing the street at an intersection. From what I've read, he dashed across the middle of the street to try to catch a bus and any driver (whether drinking or not) would have hit him. Had Donte not been drinking, charges would not likely have been filed. But he was drinking and he was over the legal limit, so he was guilty of a crime. A crime that he was punished for by someone who did review all of the evidence of the events. Another thing not always brought up is that the State brings the criminal charges, not the victims family. So regardless of whether or not they were "paid off", such payments do not affect the strength of the State's criminal case and the Judge's sentence. Taking away someone's livelihood for an entire year, seems too harsh looking in from the outside, but again, I haven't seen all of the evidence. What was the Commish's decision based on? An in depth review of the events… I don't know, but I'm sure Donte and his legal team will appeal this one.
I dont have a problem with the suspension. I personally believe he has learned his lesson, he didnt run and try to hide his bad deed.

YES he was drinking and driving and is responsible for killing someone.

BUT the guy did run out right in front of him on a SIX lane road. Not all the blame lays with Donte.
[Reply]
Scottw 12:13 PM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
I hear the professional Ping Pong guys are out of control too.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 12:42 PM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by Scottw:
I hear the professional Ping Pong guys are out of control too.
Don't bring THEM into this. I made a joke about ping pong while passing a group of these guys coming out of a bar ..... they don't mess around!

:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up