Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Sports>Patrick Kane Arrested
Prefy 11:57 AM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by TSN:
Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane and his cousin were arrested early Sunday morning for assaulting and robbing a cab driver in Buffalo, according to several news sources in that city.

According to a police report, the 20-year-old Kane and his cousin James M. Kane, 21, were arrested around 5am et after allegedly punching the cabbie after he said he did not have proper change for their trip fare.

The report says the cab fare was $13.80 and the Kanes handed the driver $15. He claims he had only $1 change and was not in possession of another twenty cents to give back. According to the police report, both Kanes took their money back and punched the cabbie in the face and head.

Both men have been charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services.

The NHL is working with the local police department in trying to assemble the details.

Kane, a Buffalo native, had attended a press conference with the mayor to announce funding for a local rink earlier in the evening.

WGRZ.com says the driver appeared to have suffered cuts to his face as well as damage to his glasses.

Buffalo's WIVB is reporting that an attorney for the Kanes has entered a plea of not guilty in City court. Source:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287230
Another really super talented athlete in trouble with the law...the key in this situation would have been to think.
[Reply]
Jbailey 12:00 PM 08-09-2009
Wow, all over twenty cents.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:01 PM 08-09-2009
20 cents? Seriously? :-)
[Reply]
Tenor CS 12:02 PM 08-09-2009
Aren't you supposed to tip cab drivers anyway? I wouldn't expect ANY change back from $15 if the fare was $13-something.
[Reply]
dubnick 12:04 PM 08-09-2009
It's amazing how professional athletes and celebrities fail to think about the repercussions of their actions
[Reply]
pnoon 12:05 PM 08-09-2009
While I would not condone it, I can see this guy getting pelted with quarters by drunk hockey fans.
[Reply]
dubnick 12:10 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
While I would not condone it, I can see this guy getting pelted with quarters by drunk hockey fans.
:-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 12:21 PM 08-09-2009
Send him to jail so he can play
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 12:28 PM 08-09-2009
Yeah, wouldn't a tip of $1.20, or even just $0.20 have been assumed by the clients.

Of course, I never understood why cabbies should get tipped. I mean, you are tipping them for doing their job by driving you around, which you are also paying them for. By all means, tip the guy if your bags are extra heavy, if someone in your group is being an ass, if someone throws up in the car (tip a whole lot), etc, but I hate that you have to tip for something you are paying them for already.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 12:30 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Yeah, wouldn't a tip of $1.20, or even just $0.20 have been assumed by the clients.

Of course, I never understood why cabbies should get tipped. I mean, you are tipping them for doing their job by driving you around, which you are also paying them for. By all means, tip the guy if your bags are extra heavy, if someone in your group is being an ass, if someone throws up in the car (tip a whole lot), etc, but I hate that you have to tip for something you are paying them for already.
Why tip a waiter/waitress?
[Reply]
Clampdown 12:49 PM 08-09-2009

Not sure I follow this logic. Cabbies, I believe, pay for their own gas and generally dont own the car they are driving. Furthermore, if you're drunk or in need of a ride they are doing you a service by taking you some place and getting you there as quickly as they can (if they are being honest). If you have this mentality then why tip a waiter, barber, pizza delivery guy, parking attendant etc, they are just doing their job as well. :-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 12:52 PM 08-09-2009
wow crazy
[Reply]
pnoon 12:52 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by Clampdown:
Not sure I follow this logic. Cabbies, I believe, pay for their own gas and generally dont own the car they are driving. Furthermore, if you're drunk or in need of a ride they are doing you a service by taking you some place and getting you there as quickly as they can (if they are being honest). If you have this mentality then why tip a waiter, barber, pizza delivery guy, parking attendant etc, they are just doing their job as well. :-)
I see both sides to this issue. While I will tip a waiter, cab driver etc., I'm not a big fan of the tip jar at a counter. Some jobs are just looking for handouts.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:33 PM 08-09-2009
I am going to wait for all the facts to come out before convicting the kid. :-)
[Reply]
Prefy 01:37 PM 08-09-2009
:-)Hopefully there is more to the story...otherwise its a shame.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:41 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by Prefy:
:-)Hopefully there is more to the story...otherwise its a shame.
I am guessing there is...I have seen Kane "fight", he would have a tough time beating most school girls.

Maybe his cousin was the main DB and Patrick was along for the ride, but who knows? Facts should come out sooner than later.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 01:52 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by Clampdown:
See, I see cabbies as more closely resembling the tip jar at the counter. At a restaurant, the waiter(ess) is providing a service on top of the product being sold (the food). A cabbie's service is the product in a sense as you are paying directly for that service. Barber I would put in the same category as a cabbie, meaning unless they've gone above what is expected of them on average, there is no need to tip unless you want to. Delivery men are more like waitresses, although they deserve less of a tip since they aren't "waiting" on you. Parking attendant I put in the same category as the cabbie, actually, even a lesser category.

Don't get me wrong here, I tip my barber, I generally tip cabbies, although I don't take cabs much at all (it's been a year or more since) and I am a good tipper at restaurants unless the wait staff has been just terrible. It just seems that tipping is getting out of control in recent years. I mean, why tip the sandwich "artist" at subway? Ridiculous!
[Reply]
alley00p 01:52 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by :
<snip>The report says the cab fare was $13.80 and the Kanes handed the driver $15. He claims he had only $1 change and was not in possession of another twenty cents to give back. According to the police report, both Kanes took their money back and punched the cabbie in the face and head.
<snip>
Kane, a Buffalo native, had attended a press conference with the mayor to announce funding for a local rink earlier in the evening.
[soapbox mode]
What bothers me about this whole report are the 2 paragraphs above.

Here you have a 20 year old kid, who makes how many millions on his NHL contract each year, getting violent over a lousy .20? I say "kid", because it's apparent that he hasn't got the maturity of my 16 year old son yet.

Regardless of how you feel about tipping people, is it worth to punch someone over .20? He probably had enough money in his wallet to buy the friggin cab! If you're a cheap bastage, take the dang dollar bill back from the guy and get out of his cab! Instead, they take all their money back, punch the guy and leave him sitting there, bleeding. Geez, it's a cab, not a hockey arena!

I'm sure they will plead that they were drunk or hungover, after partying all night. And they will probably both get a slap on the wrist and some community service.

This whole incident disgusts me! :-) [/soapbox mode]

[Reply]
icehog3 01:54 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by alley00p:
[soapbox mode]
Regardless of how you feel about tipping people, is it worth to punch someone over .20? He probably had enough money in his wallet to buy the friggin cab! If you're a cheap bastage, take the dang dollar bill back from the guy and get out of his cab! Instead, they take all their money back, punch the guy and leave him sitting there, bleeding. Geez, it's a cab, not a hockey arena!

I'm sure they will plead that they were drunk or hungover, after partying all night. And they will probably both get a slap on the wrist and some community service.

This whole incident disgusts me! :-) [/soapbox mode]

I am waiting for all the facts before condemning Kane. :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 01:55 PM 08-09-2009
See, I see cabbies as more closely resembling the tip jar at the counter. At a restaurant, the waiter(ess) is providing a service on top of the product being sold (the food). A cabbie's service is the product in a sense as you are paying directly for that service. Barber I would put in the same category as a cabbie, meaning unless they've gone above what is expected of them on average, there is no need to tip unless you want to. Delivery men are more like waitresses, although they deserve less of a tip since they aren't "waiting" on you. Parking attendant I put in the same category as the cabbie, actually, even a lesser category.

Don't get me wrong here, I tip my barber, I generally tip cabbies, although I don't take cabs much at all (it's been a year or more since) and I am a good tipper at restaurants unless the wait staff has been just terrible. It just seems that tipping is getting out of control in recent years. I mean, why tip the sandwich "artist" at subway? Ridiculous!
If it's their job do you tip them?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up