Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Love of small cigars
gvarsity 03:34 PM 10-21-2008
When I first started smoking cigars I loved the big Churchills. My first favorite cigar was the Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur #1 natural. That was my go to for quite awhile. Then over time I started moving toward rothschilds and robustos and there I stayed for many years.

IMHO the US market moves toward larger and larger both length and RG cigars. It weird that my 50-52 ring gauge robustos now seem skinny in the world of 60+ rg smokes. About a year ago I had a Perdomo Cuban Parejo Rosado that was a 60 rg and I was almost embarrassed to smoke it in public.

Oddly enough in this time of cigar expansion I have started dabbling in coronas and petite coronas and have found real joy in the shorter smaller ring gauge smokes. What sparked this post was I picked up some Fire by Indian Tabac Maduro mini coronas on C-Bid. They came in today and I decided to take a break at work and went for a walk. Lying on my desk next some robustos they looked tiny. Uncelloed in my hand it looked quite respectable and well... cigarlike. For 22 minutes I enjoyed a rich full cigar, did not feel rushed, did not waste and had the whole cigar experience. It was quite tasty and a pleasant diversion for the work at hand.

Small cigars are a little trickier to smoke in some ways. Particularly that you cant just puff through them without turning them into a firecracker. Still if you are willing to be attentive you get as much or more flavor, smoke and experience without the commitment. One of my favorites was a ERDM petite corona from 91' that was given to me as a gift. Sweet and tasty and lasted around 20 minutes carefully sipping. The fire was more robust and needed less attention than the ERDM but the experience of the SIZE was not dis-similar.

I will always have a place for the 1-2 hour smokes for those occasions I have 1-2 hours to smoke. Those occasions are pretty rare and for me right now and the small cigar is a treat for it's own merits as well as the time benefit.

Any other folks love a small cigar?
[Reply]
Skywalker 03:39 PM 10-21-2008
My preference has changed as well!

I am enjoying smaller and thinner cigars more and more!!!

The flavor and complexity is what I enjoy without having to smoke for two hours!!!

[Reply]
jjirons69 03:42 PM 10-21-2008
I like them for the weeknight quickies. Still like the big smokes for outings, when time permits.
[Reply]
gvarsity 03:45 PM 10-21-2008
I have been experimenting with the lanceros as well which is interesting also. Still you run into the time issue. I remember someone talking about cutting a fundadore in half and I about cried. I'm not that desperate for shorter time but small rg is good and short length is also good. Who knew?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:54 PM 10-21-2008
I find it interesting that that cubans are making more and more larger rg cigars and nc's are coming out with more and more samller rg cigars like lanceros.
[Reply]
petewho 04:01 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I find it interesting that that cubans are making more and more larger rg cigars and nc's are coming out with more and more samller rg cigars like lanceros.
The average Cuban mouth is expanding :-)
[Reply]
shemp 04:19 PM 10-21-2008
i started out with the big guages and a good brother, SMOKINAPE, turned me on to some petite corona, that were delicious, now i try em big and small.
[Reply]
BlackDog 04:20 PM 10-21-2008
I'm trying to balance my cigar selection between large and small cigars. My collection seems weighted towards larger vitolas, so I'm trying to add more smaller selections.
[Reply]
Pipe&Cigar 04:20 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by petewho:
The average Cuban mouth is expanding :-)
LOL.. I find it hard to believe that the average NC mouth is getting smaller in that case.

I was at my local B&M and was amazed at all the new Laceros available!
[Reply]
Costa 04:24 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
I like them for the weeknight quickies. Still like the big smokes for outings, when time permits.

:-)
[Reply]
Spect 05:12 PM 10-21-2008
I never rush a cigar, if I don't have the time to dedicate I don't do it. That said I really am liking my smaller cigars. PC's and Lanceros are awesome. :-)
[Reply]
Starchild 06:56 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by jjirons69:

Same here :-) I really like PC's and robustos, but my favorite are the small perfectos :-)

Can we get one of those smileys with a smaller cigar please ^ :-)
[Reply]
Mystophales 09:22 PM 10-21-2008
I am with ya brother...every box I have purchased over the last year has been in the corona sized group...46 to as low as 38 RG and am loving it. I just find I get to the "sweet spot" earlier and have it for a longer time. I actually have to force myself to smoke anything larger.
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 12:38 AM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
My preference has changed as well!

I am enjoying smaller and thinner cigars more and more!!!

The flavor and complexity is what I enjoy without having to smoke for two hours!!!
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
livwire68 02:24 AM 10-22-2008
I have been smoking more lanceros and shorter smokes. But also smoking more than one. :-)
[Reply]
dmoby 03:25 AM 10-22-2008
Anything over a 49 rg is a waste.
[Reply]
Sancho 07:43 AM 10-22-2008
I tend to agree, most of what I smoke regularly is in the mareva, lancero, corona, PC category. I do enjoy a robusto from time to time but my heart lies with the thinner ring gauge sticks. In the end its all about variety for me, there a times Im in the mood for a churchill as well, even if those times are few and far between.
[Reply]
Benwoo 07:52 AM 10-22-2008
To be considerate of the GF I've started adding smaller stix to the Vino. Haven't had the chance to run through anything smaller then a robusto as of yet. I did have a Lancero a couple weeks back and that was pleasant. I still tend to gravitate towards the larger (length wise with a moderate RG), but I'm givin the little guys a chance!
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 08:02 AM 10-22-2008
In the past two years I've been slowly gravitating towards smaller cigars. 50 rg and below are where the majority of my sticks are.
[Reply]
Cigarmark 09:00 AM 10-22-2008
I too have gravitated to smaller cigars, coronas. pc and even some of the handmade mini's. The LFD Canajos are awesome. Before turning to the dark side, I loved the 50+ rg. Now I tend to get bored with the 2 hour cigar. A good pc or conona can give me a pleasureable hour of smoking. I still enjoy a robusto or toro, but much bigger than that and I tend to put it down early unless its an awesome smoke. I have not really got into lanceros much. They are awkward feeling to me.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up