Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
Rose should be in the Hall. 62 65.26%
Rose should not be in the Hall. 20 21.05%
Depends (discuss below). 7 7.37%
I could care less. 6 6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Sports>Pete Rose, 20 years later...HOF or not?
icehog3 10:43 PM 07-27-2009
Hoping for some civil discourse on your thoughts on Pete being in the HOF. After 20 years, he would have to be voted in by the 65 members of the Veteran's Committee if his lifetime ban from baseball was lifted.

I know how Selig feels, sportswriters feel, players feel...I am curious as to how you feel.

Thanks for any constructive comments on a (currently) hypothetical situation.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:45 PM 07-27-2009
In.
If character and morality were a factor, then a bunch would have to be booted out.
Nobody in my lifetime played as well and as hard every day as Charlie Hustle.
[Reply]
Darrell 10:45 PM 07-27-2009
Pete is a great player, he made a mistake -- but his record as a professional athlete speaks for itself.

LET PETE IN!!!
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 10:46 PM 07-27-2009
He's worthy.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:47 PM 07-27-2009
I have no clue what we talking about... seeing as there was a "I could care less" option I chose that one. ( Not that I actually do care less, im just oblivious.)
[Reply]
Darrell 10:48 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
I have no clue what we talking about... seeing as there was a "I could care less" option I chose that one. ( Not that I actually do care less, im just oblivious.)
Thanks for your contribution. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:48 PM 07-27-2009
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...01.shtml?redir :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:49 PM 07-27-2009
No question in my mind. In. You can't tell me he was the only one that bet on games. He just got caught. There are racists, druggies and overall bad people in the Hall. Pete lived the game all his life and nobody was as dedicated to his craft.
[Reply]
RichardW 10:49 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Pete is a great player, he made a mistake -- but his record as a professional athlete speaks for itself.

LET PETE IN!!!
Well, he made more than one mistake, but he should still be in. It's like "disrepect of cop" -- but unless I missed it, he never did apologize ..

again --> IN!!!
[Reply]
Old Sailor 10:49 PM 07-27-2009
He did the crime, he did the time, it's all in the past as far as I'm concerned......in!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:52 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Thanks for your contribution. :-)
Was that sarcasm, Brother?
:-)

[Reply]
shilala 10:52 PM 07-27-2009
Dood, it's Charlie Hustle.
No one every laced up a pair of shoes that played the game harder or with more passion. I can't wait to see him in the Hall. :-)
[Reply]
Darrell 10:53 PM 07-27-2009
Was that sarcasm, Brother?

NEVER! :-)

On the square,

D

[Reply]
KidRock 10:59 PM 07-27-2009
YES
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:09 PM 07-27-2009
He should most definately should be in the HOF. He is one of the greatest hitters in the history of baseball. Hank Aaron told Selig this past weekend that it is time to lift the ban. I really hope he listens to Hank.
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 12:40 AM 07-28-2009
I voted No. What was the commission trying to accomplish by banning Mr. Rose? I believe they wanted to send a message to others.
Mr. Rose knew what he was doing and the possible consequences. One of the fun things professional athletes give up is gambling.

Lifting the ban and allowing him into the HOF would send a message to others (coming up) that as long as you are a great player you will eventually get away with it. :-)

I think he was a great player and would have deserved the honor of HOF.....if he hadn't have done what he knew was against the rules.

:-) The ban against Mr. Rose should not be lifted.....Ok Flame on!:-)

[Reply]
Azpostal 02:31 AM 07-28-2009
He is the greatest hitter in the history of baseball. IN..IN...IN!!!!!!
[Reply]
adampc22 03:12 AM 07-28-2009
why did he get banned for all thos years ?
[Reply]
Resipsa 03:31 AM 07-28-2009
Nope.

Regardless of his contributions on the field, he touched what some have called "the third rail" of baseball by gambling on games he was involved in, and for that the penalty they say is death.

I kind of agree with that analogy. Nobody who has ever bet on baseball has ever been let back in, once you make an exception you open the floodgates and need to justify why this one, and not that one.

Examples are wonderful things, all the more so when the example being made is someone noteworthy. Yup, other players did bad things too, or weren't nice guys (see Ty cobb), but they didn't bet on the game. Not an apples to apples comparison.

Not that I don't appreciate his contributions, but we've all broken things in our lives that we just can't fix, no matter how hard we try or how remorseful we may be.Some things may be forgiven, but can't be forgotten.

As an aside, from what I've read he's never getting in anyways, because the people who do the voting don't want him there.
[Reply]
gnukfu 03:44 AM 07-28-2009
Yeah gambling was/is against the rules and he screwed up. I think he has been punished enough by going through a 20 year sentence excluded from the Hall. Time to let him in.

And if they let even one of the known steroid users in then there is absolutely no excuse to keep him out.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up