Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>My Race Weekend Overload (pic heavy)
Whee 11:03 PM 07-24-2009
Howdy gang.

Making my annual pilgrimage to Indianapolis for the weekend of trucks, nationwide and sprint cup races, thought I'd share some pics for the race fans in the group and some vids for those who have never been to a race.

The weekend starts at O'Reilly Raceway Park (ORP) for the Camping World Truck race.

My ugly mug enjoying a Torano Virtuoso. Cigar #2 of the day. Over my shoulder you can see one of the drriver's RV. We were that close. And to the haulers as well.

The party van from the front. The flags make it easy to find in the parking lot.

Party van from the back. Portable grill, two coolers and various snacks are stowed away. Today's menu was hamburgers and hot dogs. We discovered a few years ago that bribing the parking lot security personnel with food, gets you preferred parking.

Pics of some of the haulers and a Nationwide car being wheeled past. I am leaning on the front of the party van.

The Anthem.
[Reply]
Whee 11:10 PM 07-24-2009
They always have a flyover. The first year I went, they had a Blackhawk helicopter fly over the stands, do a straight up bank and come right at us, stopping and hovering about 100 yards from the crowd. Unfortunately, they don;t get that close, but here's a pic as the pilot was banking over us.

This is a vid of the beginning of the race. Notice how quiet the trucks get before they get the green. Our seats are about 20 rows up or so.

And another vid of one of the restarts and I follow them around the track see you can what a neat little half-mile ORP is.

A quick action shot. Hopefully, I will work out the timing a little better.

Mr Kyle Busch getting serviced.
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:12 PM 07-24-2009
Looks like a lot of fun!!!

Thanks for the photos!!!
:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:13 PM 07-24-2009
Nice pics! Lets just hope Jeff Gordon wins on Sunday :-)
[Reply]
Whee 11:21 PM 07-24-2009
So I write up the last captions, preview post and apparently, didn;t submit.:-)

Here are a couple of late race action pics.

Todd Bodine in for some damage control. Wrecked right in front of us, of course, i was watching the action behind him.

Ron Hornaday, the winner, beginning his "Polish victory lap."

The rest of the weekend may not get posted until I get back to S. Beloit on Tuesday. Long day tomorrow for the Nationwide race and then a 5am wake up on Sunday to head to the Brickyard.

Hope you enjoy the pics!
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:23 PM 07-24-2009
All the Bodine brothers sucked. They were all wreckers. I would cringe everytime my favorite drivers were around them.

Have fun at the races!
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:31 PM 07-24-2009
Thanks for posting the pics sean. Enjoy the rest of your weekend there.
[Reply]
Jbailey 11:56 PM 07-24-2009
Looks like a great trip, thanks for the pics.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:50 AM 07-25-2009
Good job!
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:03 AM 07-25-2009
Looks like a good time...thanks for the pictures.
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 05:32 PM 07-25-2009
Gotta love the truck series :-)
[Reply]
G G 05:34 PM 07-25-2009
Nice pics Sean
[Reply]
Whee 10:01 PM 07-25-2009
Today not as much fun. Rain early and annoying people in the stands. Almost saw something I have never seen. The pace car nealry got taken out by a car.:-)

No pics tonight as I have only a 4 hour nap and then off the big race.

Will post up on tuesday for those who want to see.

Thanks for looking.:-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:18 PM 07-25-2009
Have a great time Sean. I will be watching for you on tv.
[Reply]
Starscream 05:50 AM 07-27-2009
That was a good race yesterday. Only wish Montoya's dominance could have paid off at the end. Hope you had fun at the big race, Sean.:-)
[Reply]
TripleF 06:16 AM 07-27-2009
Dude, that looks like a blast. Thanks for sharing it with us! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Whee 07:02 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Have a great time Sean. I will be watching for you on tv.
I was waving! 7 rows up at the entrance to turn 1.

Originally Posted by andysutherland:
That was a good race yesterday. Only wish Montoya's dominance could have paid off at the end. Hope you had fun at the big race, Sean.:-)
Got to hang with my brother, so good time was had. The race was boring. They went from one extreme to the other. Felt bad for Montoya, as did most of the fans around us.

Photobucket being a bit tempermental for me tonight, so I will get picks up as soon as I can.

Thanks for looking!
[Reply]
Whee 10:31 AM 07-29-2009
Without further ado, here is the rest of my weekend.

As I mentioned before, Saturday was rainy, cool and blustery. Felt more like October than July. But about 1pm the sun came out, temp went up and everything dried out.

Got meet a couple of the crews as well. The crew from Steven Wallace's crew had good time with us. I was wearing a #88 Navy hat with the name of their boss on it when he was the driver. I bought the hat the week he was fired and replaced. They thought it was funny that they had found their boss's one fan. Took a pic of the hat and then wanted me to sign it so they could give it to their boss. We went back and forth and a good trade, but I think my buddy's wife scared them off.

This batch of pics and vids is from the Nationwide race. They are not quite as good as the truck race pics. We were really sardined in and got jostled quite a bit. I also had to deal with a couple of kids, who instead of standing up in the stands, would stand on the seat of the person in front of them, so I had to aim high.

Enjoy!

Hauler pics. Notice the standing water. Diehard fans or stupid morons? You decide.

After the wind died down and the sun came out, got to enjoy a nice 5 Vegas Gold.

Ron Hornaday

Brad Kesolowski
[Reply]
Whee 10:33 AM 07-29-2009
This race they honor the military. Always nice.

Flag parachuting in.
Hit his mark.
The Anthem

The customary big flag
Same flyover as Friday, but a different angle
[Reply]
Whee 10:39 AM 07-29-2009
Parade lap

Video of the start. Always the best part of the race. As you can see, I was reaching for the video so my aim is not so good.

Ckeck the oil and clean the windshield please!

A couple of action shots.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up