Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Casa Fuente Corona Gorda
DougBushBC 08:19 PM 07-07-2009
So my girlfriend was in Vegas recently, and I had her pick up the CF Sampler. I really wanted to a) try them, and b) have them on hand since they are hard to come by. Damn am I glad she did.
This is my first serious review (trying to do things more pro), so bear with me. The smoke was the Case Fuente Corona Gorda.
The Facts:
Vitolas.net: "The blend originally started out as an Opus X blend, but was changed somewhat from that initial profile. It boasts a Cameroon wrapper grown from the original Cameroon seeds planted by Rick Meerapfel. Approximately 100 of these cigars were handed out at CFC 2005; they are also for sale exclusively at Casa Fuente (no Internet/phone orders)."
Review:
As I unwrapped the cigar, I noted a mild spicy aroma, and the prelight draw was equally mild. As I lit it, the draw was tough, so I poked it a few times with my Boom Poker (love that thing). The flavors were subtle but unmistakably Fuente.
The 1st 3rd:
I had an easy draw with lots of smoke volume after poking it, which is how I like my smokes, there was no harshness, even though it was very fresh. The spices were leathery but present. The flavors developed from cinnamon and clove to an almost tea quality (I had a cup of tea earlier in the day, and the similarities were definite).
The 2nd 3rd:
The spices warmed up, and were bolder, the burn was even and the ash was strong. I really liked the spicy flavor and the Cameroon wrapper lended itself to a less fruity (as I find most opus) and more earthy flavor.
The 3rd 3rd:
My notes tapered off (was smoking on TokBox with a lot of Twitter cigar folks) but the smoke volume blossomed into massive and the spices got hot, almost like hot cider. I nubbed this all the way down using my standard technique (boom poker as a draw tool), and it never got too hot to smoke.
Overall:
I really felt the mild complexity of this smoke was unique for Fuente's high end stuff, and the even draw was classic Fuente. I really enjoyed the flavors and while maybe not as good as an aged Opus, this was a top notch smoke.

Rating:
94/100

[Reply]
ucla695 08:35 PM 07-07-2009
Great review!! These are one of my favorite cammies!!
[Reply]
Wanger 08:37 PM 07-07-2009
Very nice review, Doug. Best size of the Casa sticks. Of course, that is until they actually make lanceros. I should have grabbed a couple when we were there, but the Don Carlos Lanceros just kept calling to me. :-)
[Reply]
DougBushBC 08:56 PM 07-07-2009
The DC Lanceros are another target of mine, I'll have to get some next time!
[Reply]
heavyd 09:07 PM 07-07-2009
I smoked one of these at CF last week with one of their Mojitos. It tasted like a muted Opus to me, but still quite good. Nice review...like the notes :-)
[Reply]
zmancbr 09:14 PM 07-07-2009
Nice review! I love these stick as they are a nice change of pace from the opus and anejos...glad to see I'm not alone. :-)
[Reply]
TravelingJ 09:55 PM 07-07-2009
Originally Posted by Wanger:
I should have grabbed a couple when we were there, but the Don Carlos Lanceros just kept calling to me. :-)
Haha, exactly! I was there almost 2 weeks ago, and stopped in each day to grab my limit on those lanceros! Great shop, too bad it's so damned expensive.
[Reply]
colimo 11:52 PM 07-07-2009
looks good....may have to try next time im in vegas....never been to casa fuente or had any of there limiteds...
[Reply]
Azpostal 01:57 AM 07-08-2009
Thanks for the great review.
[Reply]
DougBushBC 03:36 AM 07-08-2009
Originally Posted by colimo:
looks good....may have to try next time im in vegas....never been to casa fuente or had any of there limiteds...
I know I sound like a whore, but the Fuente limiteds make smoking worth it for me. I am ALWAYS chasing them. They have developed a culture around there rare smokes that very few brands can.
[Reply]
SmokeyNL 03:42 AM 07-08-2009
Told you you would like these :-) nice review!
[Reply]
Wanger 04:17 AM 07-08-2009
Originally Posted by TravelingJ:
Haha, exactly! I was there almost 2 weeks ago, and stopped in each day to grab my limit on those lanceros! Great shop, too bad it's so damned expensive.
That's why I stick with the DC lanceros or the Casa CGs. :-)
[Reply]
DougBushBC 09:42 PM 07-08-2009
On a quick note, if anyone has a line on any Casa Fuente Lanceros (rare production) i'd die to try one.
[Reply]
PuffingRob 11:47 PM 07-08-2009
Great review. looks like you took it down to the nub. You sure you couldnt get anymore out of it? haha
[Reply]
BlackIrish 08:55 AM 07-09-2009
A very nice review. Thanks!
[Reply]
dannysguitar 09:00 AM 07-09-2009
Have you tried God of Fire yet?
[Reply]
md4958 09:12 AM 07-09-2009
Thanks for the review Doug :-)
[Reply]
JJG 12:49 PM 07-09-2009
These are my favorite Fuentes. more mild than an Opus but still has a great flavor. I can't seem to keep them in the humi for long though and now I'm thinking to myself, (...so who do I know that's going to Vegas soon?)
[Reply]
DougBushBC 12:50 PM 07-09-2009
Originally Posted by dannysguitar:
Have you tried God of Fire yet?
Yes I have smoked a few God of Fires, I would say that this compares favorably to them. They are, like the CF, a milder, complex smoke on the opus vein, but I thought this smoke had a more unique profile and smoother texture than the GOFs i have smoked. I have a Carlito Churchill in my humi that maybe I will do a comparison with the CF Churchill.
[Reply]
sikk50 03:32 PM 07-11-2009
I'm gunna be there this weekend how much was the sampler? I've got a $200 budget for cigars.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up