Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Fire Pits
massphatness 05:31 AM 07-06-2009
Bought a clay fire pit from Lowes this past spring, and we've been enjoying the occassional fire in the back yard. Last night, the bottom literally fell out of the thing. :-)

So now I'm in the market for a new one. Any suggestions? I'm leery of going back to clay because it lasted all of maybe 10 fires. I want something semi-portable that can be stored under the deck when not in use.
[Reply]
newcigarz 06:00 AM 07-06-2009
I had one like this back in CT. Worked great and built to last.

http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/pr...uctSeriesID=10
[Reply]
dunng 06:09 AM 07-06-2009
Hole in the ground... :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:08 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by dunng:
would I have to inlay any stones/bricks or do I just dig a hole? My friend said to just get a barrel...just cut it in half and I could use that.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:09 AM 07-06-2009
go for something like this Image
[Reply]
ahc4353 07:11 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Bought a clay fire pit from Lowes this past spring, and we've been enjoying the occassional fire in the back yard. Last night, the bottom literally fell out of the thing. :-)

So now I'm in the market for a new one. Any suggestions? I'm leery of going back to clay because it lasted all of maybe 10 fires. I want something semi-portable that can be stored under the deck when not in use.
Originally Posted by dunng:
Hey Vin I want to see how you move a hole.

Can you do it when I'm up there in July?

:-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:13 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:

I bet he can (re)move an asshole when you are up there in July :-)
[Reply]
taltos 07:53 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:

Give it a ride from NJ to Maynard?:-):-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:57 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
would I have to inlay any stones/bricks or do I just dig a hole? My friend said to just get a barrel...just cut it in half and I could use that.
I think that a barrel would rust and/or burn out within a season or two. I see a lot of folks out here using rims from tractor wheels. For my fire pit I used curved cement blocks like you'd use for a retaining wall.
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:59 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I think that a barrel would rust and/or burn out within a season or two. I see a lot of folks out here using rims from tractor wheels. For my fire pit I used curved cement blocks like you'd use for a retaining wall.
Thanks Warren. I think a few years ago at a camp ground we went to they used an old tire rim. I'll look into that since they are in ample supply.
[Reply]
taltos 08:04 AM 07-06-2009
Vin, check out Walmart, they have several steel firepits for under $100. I bought a Coleman from them about 5 years ago and it is still going strong at my brother in law's place in New Hampshire.
[Reply]
macpappy 08:53 AM 07-06-2009
I've had a heavy cast iron one for a couple of years now. I had one of the clay ones and it worked pretty good but it cracked when we had a rainstorm move through while it was still burning hot.

Also, did you have yours sitting on the ground or on a stand? Did you have a layer of sand in the bottom of it?
[Reply]
rizzle 09:10 AM 07-06-2009
Vin, I got you covered on this one. We went through the same thing, burning out a couple of them over a couple of years and then we got this one from Front Gate. We've had it for at least 4-5 years, it stays out in the elements year round with just a cover over it. Of course you can stow it away if you want as well. And it's big enough, 40 inches, that you can put more than a 6 inch splinter in it to burn. I recommend it without hesitation.

http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?it...roductID=18655
[Reply]
massphatness 07:44 PM 07-06-2009
Nice fire pit, Ritchie. The price made me gulp a little. Do you have either the spark catcher or the vinyl cover?
[Reply]
ChasDen 07:47 PM 07-06-2009
Nice fire pit, Ritchie. The price made me gulp a little. Do you have either the spark catcher or the vinyl cover?
WOW me too.

I'm building the wrong stuff :-)

Chas
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:48 PM 07-06-2009
Vin... I know this is about as redneck as it gets... but I have had several of these over the years. Look on Craigslist etc. for a 22 inch Weber kettle grille. Cut the legs in half. You have an instant killer fire pit.
[Reply]
HK3- 07:56 PM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I bet he can (re)move an asshole when you are up there in July :-)

:-):-) That made me laugh out loud Don!

Sorry, I'm no help Vin. We used to use a 55 gallon drum to burn stuff in. I don't think that would look so good out back in the yard...
[Reply]
Scottw 08:15 PM 07-06-2009
I have a copper one that has endured 4 years of torment. It has never been covered so I has oxidized to an extent (basically got really darkened) but it is portable and it comes apart. I'll see if I can get a pic when it's light out
[Reply]
N2Advnture 04:25 AM 07-07-2009

I have this same problem with clay pots. It's typically due to the expansion of moisture when left outside over the winter months. If you get another, try bringing it inside or putting it in your garage (I know, kind of defeats the purpose :-))
[Reply]
tobii3 08:21 AM 07-07-2009
wow...

$350 for a fire pit??

Out here, we just use the drum from an old washing machine.

Already ventilated and aerated...burns great.

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up