Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>New Iphone or 1/2 off old one?
floydpink 02:34 PM 06-09-2009
I was about to upgrade my phone to an Iphone and was told to hang on until the new one comes out but, being I like a good deal, I am thinking about getting the older version which is now 1/2 price.

I'm no techie by any stretch, but it seems the older version was wildly popular and the main thing gained by the new one is faster internet speed.

I's confused.:-)
[Reply]
JE3146 02:41 PM 06-09-2009
If you have the money to be buying an iphone get the better one. The phone is a drop in the bucket compared to thw plan. Get the phone that will best utilize where the real money is being spent. Imho.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Footbag 02:41 PM 06-09-2009
I don't think the newest one has faster Internet. The only new hardware feature on it is the Video capture. Pretty useless IMO. It is supposed to have a bit faster chip. So the phone itself should navigate the menus a bit quicker.

Aside from that, the new software upgrade should add a few new features to the older phones.

OK as I look, they say faster speeds with HSDPA, so maybe I'll take that back. But well have to see how much speed that translates into.
[Reply]
Azpostal 03:15 PM 06-09-2009
New one, but I'm still waiting for them to get off of AT&T.
[Reply]
poker 03:24 PM 06-09-2009
Oh theres more to it than just faster speed...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/
[Reply]
alley00p 03:32 PM 06-09-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
If you have the money to be buying an iphone get the better one. The phone is a drop in the bucket compared to thw plan. Get the phone that will best utilize where the real money is being spent. Imho.
Posted via Mobile Device
:-)

I'm with Jordan on this one! The new one has a lot more than video recording... check the link that Pnoon put up! I may be getting the new one with 32gb and giving my wife my old 16gb unit.... :-)

:-)
[Reply]
floydpink 03:34 PM 06-09-2009
Originally Posted by Azpostal:
New one, but I'm still waiting for them to get off of AT&T.
I beleive I read the contract goes through 2010....
[Reply]
floydpink 03:37 PM 06-09-2009
probably a dumb question, but how do you know about all the available apps?

Is it something you hear through the grapevine, or is there a site that explains them?

One that really interests me is the one that helps me find my car, as most of my life seems to be spent looking for it in theme park parking lots hitting my panic button....

Edit: just found the site through Google that explains it. I think I'm sold.
[Reply]
newcigarz 04:34 PM 06-09-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
Oh theres more to it than just faster speed...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/
Much more. I will be upgrading as soon as available. I still have a first gen. iphone I bought on the second day they were available.
[Reply]
sikk50 05:19 PM 06-09-2009
I was planning on trading in my 3G when the new one came out (my mom is due for an upgrade and said shed take my 3G and let me have the upgrade for the new one if I wanted) but after reading about them, I really don't feel that the new feature (that will not be available to me me through the 3.0 OS upgrade) are really worth burning a trade in on.

I had high hopes it would be substantialy different like the 2G -> 3G release, but I was very disappointed.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:32 PM 06-09-2009
Either get the newest one or the original one that is been "jail breaked" so you don't have to re-sign a provider contract.

I a proponet of getting the newest phone as they age quick unless the money is prohibits getting the newest.
[Reply]
newcigarz 05:37 PM 06-09-2009
For me going from edge to 3G S is going to be a big difference.
[Reply]
jkim05 06:39 PM 06-09-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Either get the newest one or the original one that is been "jail breaked" so you don't have to re-sign a provider contract.

I a proponet of getting the newest phone as they age quick unless the money is prohibits getting the newest.
It doesn't have to be jailbroken in order to not have to sign up for a contract, but it is the only way to use the phone if you don't have AT&T. I have the original sans 3g Iphone and because I already had AT&T I didn't have to sign up for a new contract when I purchased the phone from a friend of mine. To be totally honest, for most people, getting the newest phone is not going to be that much of an improvement. I've tried almost all of the "iphone killers" out there and keep going back to my 1st gen iphone because I prefer it, even though it doesn't have 3g, hsdpa, real gps or any number of other features.

The main reason why most people get the phone is to surf the web, listen to music and play with the apps. If getting the newest one is worth the additional cost for you, go for it. If you'd rather save the money and don't care too much, get the older one. I might get the new one, but just because mine is getting a bit sluggish and battery life is slowing dying on me, on the other hand, I might just replace the battery.
[Reply]
Chris. 06:53 PM 06-09-2009
Dude, the new one has a 3 mp camera that has auto focus that you can select the object in focus with just by touching the object in the frame, and video. you can edit the video on the camera. It has voice control, which allows you to command it to play specific songs, playlists, call people or numbers, and pretty much anything just by telling it to. It's also a lot faster at loading apps and the internet. For $199 you get a 16gb iphone also whereas you used to get a 8gb 3g for that price. I'm buying the 3G S when it comes out. I'm actually pre-ordering it tomorrow. There is a nifty video on the apple website that goes fairly in depth with the new iphone that sold me on it.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:57 PM 06-09-2009
My Verizon plan is up in the next several months and I'm seriously considering getting the new 3G S (before Apple releases a new one :-)). I just have to get some buddies that have the current one over to my place to see if I get decent reception.
[Reply]
Chris. 07:08 PM 06-09-2009
yea the 3g iphone doesnt even get as good reception in some places as my regular slider phone with att. Hopefully the new 3G S will improve upon that as well.
[Reply]
bvilchez 07:28 PM 06-09-2009
I was reading the keynote address yesterday at work as it was going. They mentioned many new features for the 3GS. I would jump on it....but not with AT&T. Cant wait for Verizon to get a chance on them so I can jump on this.

I would say it all depends on what you're trying to get out of it. I personally don't see a reason for a 32gb phone unless you plan on keeping you're entire iTunes library on there.
[Reply]
Chris. 07:54 PM 06-09-2009
My 30Gb ipod wont even hold my whole itunes library, LOL. I would need a 40 or 50gb one for that. I'm just going to get the 16gb version. thats plenty of space for a phone.
[Reply]
jkim05 07:55 PM 06-09-2009
Originally Posted by bvilchez:
I was reading the keynote address yesterday at work as it was going. They mentioned many new features for the 3GS. I would jump on it....but not with AT&T. Cant wait for Verizon to get a chance on them so I can jump on this.

I would say it all depends on what you're trying to get out of it. I personally don't see a reason for a 32gb phone unless you plan on keeping you're entire iTunes library on there.
32gb fills up fast when you start adding video :-) Also, I can't wait to see when Verizon gets it (if they ever do) just to see what they do to the phone. All the other phones verizon has gotten their hands on, they've crippled the interface with their own proprietary software. Probably why Apple went with AT&T first.
[Reply]
Chris. 07:59 PM 06-09-2009
Verizon's interface is the only reason why I have never gone to them. We use their phones at work, and I hate the interface. they have cheap texting plans though compared to ATT.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up