Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Speaker Recommendations?
mikeyj23 03:39 PM 06-07-2009
I'm looking to change my speaker setup a little bit, and wanted to see if any audiophiles on CA had recommendations for me. Currently my home desk/office setup is the following:
NAD L40 CD receiver
ProAc Tablette 2000 speakers on stands.

I really like the sound of these speakers, but they seem very 2D compared to the Wharfedales in my TV setup. I do a lot of serious listening at my desk, and enjoy more of a depth of sound than the ProAcs have to offer.

As soon as I have a new office, I'll move the ProAcs there and replace them at my home desk with new speakers. Any recommendations for a pair?
[Reply]
AD720 03:48 PM 06-07-2009
whew...you are talking way out of league here.

That being said I am very happy with my (aging) KEF Reference towers. The UNI-Q really makes the high end very pleasing. The only issue with KEF is you need a beefy amp to get them going (your NAD should do the job fine though). If I were to upgrade my (aging - again) Integra I would probably fall in love with them all over again.

Maybe look into the KEF 201/2. They have been getting stellar reviews and are a damn sexy looking loudspeaker.

Speakers are like cigars, there are a thousand out there and everyone has a favorite - good luck!
[Reply]
kaelaria 05:27 PM 06-07-2009
BOSE baby!

:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:04 PM 06-07-2009
Can't go wrong with BOSE!!
[Reply]
yellowgoat 07:07 PM 06-07-2009
B&W or Paradigm signature.

Bose is crap.

Canton is very good too! Thats what I have.
[Reply]
mikeyj23 07:14 PM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by kaelaria:
BOSE baby!

Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Can't go wrong with BOSE!!
uhm no...
[Reply]
rack04 07:35 PM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by yellowgoat:

Bose is crap.

I have Paradigm Monitor 7 v.5 in front, Paradigm Mini Monitor v.5 in rear, and Paradigm CC-290 v.5 center. I auditioned many speakers and these where by far my favorite.
[Reply]
MTB996 07:57 PM 06-07-2009
I've been happy with B&Ws for solid state. Going to analog, there is a whole new world out there... I have a pair of Silverline Sonatas with my analog gear and they can really sing.

What type of music do you listen to? Volume levels? How is the room? High end audio can be a lifelong mission that makes cigar $s seem like pennies:-)
[Reply]
CueTheMusic 07:58 PM 06-07-2009
Check out www.av123.com. Great speakers for a great price.

I have a of some x-sls towers and they sound excellent, if you want to spend a bit more, you can get some rockets or even higher.
[Reply]
ucla695 09:05 PM 06-07-2009
I love B&Ws!!
[Reply]
JE3146 09:25 PM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by yellowgoat:

Bose is crap.

There was obvious sarcasm in those posts :-)
[Reply]
yellowgoat 12:08 AM 06-08-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
There was obvious sarcasm in those posts :-)
Yes.
Tons of it!

[Reply]
14holestogie 03:12 AM 06-08-2009
Vintage Klipsch. I have a set of Forte's from the late 70's that are amazing.
Not sure what the newer stuff is like.
[Reply]
Cigary 06:26 AM 06-08-2009
Seems the general concensus is the following as per audiophiles are concerned:
1- (2.1) Logitech Z-2300
2- (2.1) Altec Lansing's VS2321
3- (2.1) Harman Kardon Soundsticks
[Reply]
rack04 06:52 AM 06-08-2009
Originally Posted by Cigary:
Seems the general concensus is the following as per audiophiles are concerned:
1- (2.1) Logitech Z-2300
2- (2.1) Altec Lansing's VS2321
3- (2.1) Harman Kardon Soundsticks
I would stay far away from Logicrap.
[Reply]
skullnrose 07:16 AM 06-08-2009
I'll give my vote to Paradigm give them a listen to me they are very pleasing.Give the different lines/models a try all are worth checking out.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:39 AM 06-08-2009
I would recommend, (yet again), the best audio forum on the web, (IMVHO)
www.avsforum.org

More info than you can actually process without feeling like your head has been shaken out of your skull by a huge sub, but you can find real info there. Speakers, like cigars, are a subjective thing, and your wallet, and mileage, may vary from many others, but there is no question that AVS has the info you are looking for, in spades, and you may discover some other equipment you never thought of before.
While I am far from an audiophile, I currently run a few more 'vintage' sets of speakers, and they agree with my level of deafness from too many gunshots and too much loud music when I was a lad.

as a side note, a decent shop will let you demo speakers in your home with no problem. If you lived near me, I would take 4 or 5 different pairs over to you to find out what sounds best to you, in your space.
[Reply]
kaelaria 08:05 AM 06-08-2009
What? You're dad's stereo blows?
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:09 AM 06-08-2009
YOu know, when i open this thread I thought we were talking about motivational speakers... :-)
[Reply]
Cigary 08:17 AM 06-08-2009
Originally Posted by rack04:
I would stay far away from Logicrap.
I was putting in some information as to what was popular in the audio world,,,if you want the best speakers and can afford them the McIntosh is the way to go. I have never heard anything better in my life than these speakers but they come with a price.

Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
I would recommend, (yet again), the best audio forum on the web, (IMVHO)
www.avsforum.org

More info than you can actually process without feeling like your head has been shaken out of your skull by a huge sub, but you can find real info there. Speakers, like cigars, are a subjective thing, and your wallet, and mileage, may vary from many others, but there is no question that AVS has the info you are looking for, in spades, and you may discover some other equipment you never thought of before.
While I am far from an audiophile, I currently run a few more 'vintage' sets of speakers, and they agree with my level of deafness from too many gunshots and too much loud music when I was a lad.

as a side note, a decent shop will let you demo speakers in your home with no problem. If you lived near me, I would take 4 or 5 different pairs over to you to find out what sounds best to you, in your space.
Excellent advice,,,might as well bring them into your environment to see what you think is best before buying.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up